1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 2:48 p.m.

Looks like we're starting to see some rain bands. Radar looks more interesting by the second.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/6/16 2:56 p.m.

Well crap, I just started looking at the storm surge predictions. My in-law's house is one street back from the beach on Jekyll, but the island itself is pretty much only 12 feet above sea level. Storm surge could be 7-12 feet. Everyone is out and safe, but this could be the first time that house has ever been in danger of flooding. They have insurance, but they just moved all the family heirlooms down there. Not good.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 3:02 p.m.

Eeesh. Let's hope that the surge is on the low end.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/6/16 3:06 p.m.

Parents are two miles out of zone A in North Myrtle, and they evacuated zone A at noon.

Their big plan is to head to Tunasister's house, which is roughly ten miles inland. Where the Corvette is now.

I am not sure I can dig this plan.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/6/16 3:08 p.m.

Something new here- as of 3:00PM, all broward county roads are closed. Never saw that before. 4000 people without power in Dade county, 1500 in Broward. Still expecting rough winds later. Not bad here at my house ....yet.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/6/16 3:12 p.m.

I also have to say atta-gal to our Governor, Nikki has made some tough calls at the right times to make sure this doesn't kill anyone.

For those not knowing, she sent some school busses out there to get people to shelters who are immobile or have no transportation. They've been working hard with Harvest Hope to get donations to the shelters. It's a good state. Let's hope it was all for nothing.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 3:19 p.m.
cwh wrote: Something new here- as of 3:00PM, all broward county roads are closed. Never saw that before. 4000 people without power in Dade county, 1500 in Broward. Still expecting rough winds later. Not bad here at my house ....yet.

That has to be to avoid looting. I have never seen that in the 20 years I've lived here.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/6/16 3:23 p.m.

And perhaps to avoid idiocy? People driving around during the storm for fun is an actual thing. It's good to not have to wonder if someone should be out or not.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 3:39 p.m.

Yeah I kmow we have road curfews here too. No one going anywhere a later tonight. I suspect it's to reduce the number of idiots needing rescue and to clear the roads for ems, fire and the like. The next 24 hours will be interesting.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/6/16 3:47 p.m.

Does it feel weird yet? I don't know if it's the pressure or the sustained winds or what, but hurricanes feel weird to me. There is a primal flee feeling going on.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/6/16 3:52 p.m.

My garage floor is at 11' above se level. I am less than a mile as the crow flies to the ocean on the icw. Looks like we're only supposed to get 90mph winds. I'm not too worried about flooding, but am a little worried about the boat and jetski that I left on their lifts instead of putting on their trailers.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/16 4:06 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

has the window closed on trailering them up?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/16 4:07 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: And perhaps to avoid idiocy? People driving around during the storm for fun is an actual thing. It's good to not have to wonder if someone should be out or not.

Sounds like Oklahoma and tornados.

People here regularly storm chase (that aren't meteorologists or pro storm chasers) and/or stand out in yard/porch drinking a beer when the sirens go off looking for the wall cloud to drop.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 4:35 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Does it feel weird yet? I don't know if it's the pressure or the sustained winds or what, but hurricanes feel weird to me. There is a primal flee feeling going on.

Honestly, I'm bored and restless. Everything is closed. We are as prepped as we're going to get. Reports went out that all of the attractions (wdw, universal, SeaWorld) have closed as of 5pm, and will not be open at all tomorrow, thats unprecedented. It's raining, and it's really quiet outside. Other than that, idk. I'm going stir crazy.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 4:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: And perhaps to avoid idiocy? People driving around during the storm for fun is an actual thing. It's good to not have to wonder if someone should be out or not.
Sounds like Oklahoma and tornados. People here regularly storm chase (that aren't meteorologists or pro storm chasers) and/or stand out in yard/porch drinking a beer when the sirens go off looking for the wall cloud to drop.

Guilty as charged. Sirens going off? Ima go film that E36 M3!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/6/16 5:10 p.m.

mndsm is why we can't have nice things.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/6/16 5:16 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

It has for me since I am now 500 miles away (we left yesterday) If I would've trailered them, they would just be sitting in my yard or driveway now under a lot of susceptible trees. I think they'll be ok.

EDIT: If Matthew does the loop that is predicted now, it looks like my house is only in the tropical storm warning zone. No longer looking like hurricane force winds for me. Supposed to get about a foot of rain. This one seems like it only really wants to punish Florida.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/6/16 5:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Sounds like Oklahoma and tornados. People here regularly storm chase (that aren't meteorologists or pro storm chasers) and/or stand out in yard/porch drinking a beer when the sirens go off looking for the wall cloud to drop.

Surf's up! Hit the beach.

java230
java230 Dork
10/6/16 5:21 p.m.

I found it interesting that the FAA sent an email to every UAV (drone...) licensed person asking them not to fly in the hurricane damaged areas.

Good luck guys, looks pretty E36 M3ty.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/6/16 5:33 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: mndsm is why we can't have nice things.

Never before have truer words been spoken.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/6/16 5:37 p.m.

Hasn't been much to speak of here yet. Some sprinkles and a few showers throughout the day. Doubt we've had any wind much over 25 MPH. Our regular thunderstorms are worse than it's been here so far, but it's still on the way.

I'm actually in the flood zone area where I was required to buy flood insurance by mortgage company.

After I bought the house I found out it was originally purchased by singer George McCrae when he had the #1 single "Rock your baby" in '74. The original heart shaped in ground pool was destroyed after it popped out of the ground due to extremely high water table during a hurricane before I bought the house. The pool water level was low because it wasn't being used and the rising water table turned the pool into a boat.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
Huckleberry wrote:
mndsm wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Surf's up! Hit the beach.

If the roads weren't completely hosed, i would already be in cocoa.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
mazdeuce wrote: mndsm is why we can't have nice things.

Its all true.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/6/16 5:58 p.m.

I do Not know WTF any one is thinking about riding this out . YOU are F&&Ked if you think this is bullE36 M3 ... get some GRM logos for the bodybags This is the real deal ... Get the Fuc8 out now //// Cat 4 are you kidding me get out now

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/16 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette:

I did hurricane Bob on a 23' center console. Now anything above a Cat 1, I enjoy a few days away from. Emily was no fun while living in Avon, NC as well, finding the deck gone while living in a house on stilts made things interesting. A week later all the dead fish in the drainage ditches along the road did as well. Screw hurricanes.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
trMA5wjtB11oCBB7vHSfz5jijZu4uwb6UspDytz5h5vMAOObPqPnWwYZoo7QyauQ