1 ... 8 9 10 11
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/24 12:28 a.m.

Also from midnight.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
10/10/24 12:34 a.m.

It hasn't rained here in hours, but wind is picking up.  Power is still on.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/10/24 1:26 a.m.

I heard a transformer explode (or something that sure sounded like a transformer exploding) about 12:30, then our power went out. I figured that was all for that, but it came back about 20 minutes later, so props to whatever autoswitching FPL has going on around here. It's pretty spicy in the Daytona metro. Daytona International Airport reported some 80+ gusts. The rain  comes and goes. Honestly I was expecting more rain than this, but believe me, there's plenty and I'm not complaining. I just walked down to the shop and we've got a mess outside but no major disasters as of yet. A few big limbs down, and a two year old rainbow eucalyptus tree tat was just starting to really flourish is heeled over pretty well. Ducks are on their islands in the pond facing into the wind, along with a HUGE blue heron that they seem to have called a truce with at least for the evening. Although a few of them have said "F this" to staying in the pond and have moved to the shore in some of the trees and shrubs for cover.

This thing has a REALLY gnarly north side. The eye has all but disappeared and its basically just a huge crescent shape of storms at this point. Pretty impressive to see it holding this kind of energy and circulation given how large the center of circulation has gotten.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/24 3:09 a.m.

We also lost power around midnight. We tend to lose cell data along with power. Currently have just one bar  

Looks like we're getting the worst of the rain right now. 

Will get the generator going in the morning. Currently listening to the rain. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/10/24 6:11 a.m.

All safe here. Lost power at 9 pm. Crazy wind and rain. Continuous gusts over 50mph. Just went out at 5 and got generator going. From what we can see, lost a few big branches and some fence sections. Hoping daylight doesn’t bring anything worse. House seems solid.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/10/24 6:26 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Hooray!

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/24 6:40 a.m.

Hopefully the posts of all clear across the state start coming thru soon. Hobiercr glad you made it without too much carnage.

84FSP
84FSP PowerDork
10/10/24 6:59 a.m.

Just checking in on all of you, glad to see some posts that folks got thru a tough night.  Stay safe folks.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/10/24 7:13 a.m.

Still have power at the house, and the new roof and soffit/fascia I got after Ian held up without any problems.

Hoping my friend up in Clearwater is ok. 

The light show from arcing lines and transformer explosions was pretty impressive last night at work.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/10/24 7:14 a.m.

Hope the light brings good news

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
10/10/24 8:24 a.m.

All is well here.  No damage and we still have power.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/24 8:31 a.m.

Hoping all went well for everyone. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/24 8:41 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Hoping all went well for everyone. 

This

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/10/24 8:44 a.m.

Went well in Jax.  Didn't even lose power.

I wonder when I can drive down to St Pete and check on my place.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/10/24 8:51 a.m.

Our rain total from yesterday and this morning is just over 18 INCHES!  Lake across the street is overflowing so much is has surrounded my house again. House is high and dry though. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/24 8:56 a.m.

Saw video from neighbors this morning. House survived. Road out to main road is flooded 2 feet-ish. Park a mile away recorded 14 inches and 87 mph winds. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
10/10/24 8:59 a.m.

My MIL who is about 6-miles inland in Sarasota fared the storm alright.  A lot of wind and creaking/groaning of the condo building, but otherwise good.  She said there are a lot of downed trees but otherwise things look decent around her building.  Hopefully I'm not getting ahead here, but it seems like this wasn't quite as bad as it could have been?  Either way, I know people are hurting today and I feel for them.  

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/24 9:03 a.m.

Heard from a buddy in Orlando. Lots of wind and rain, but no major damage and his power stayed on.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/10/24 9:43 a.m.

Glad everyone's good so far.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/24 9:47 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Wonder how this house is faring?

Yeah, that house is gonna be fine. i can't do the math for how many tons of pressure those straps are exerting, but it even looks like he has it lined up on the rafters, and has also left proper egress for the garage. One of us.

Not to get snarky, but I bet it did better than Tropicana Field.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/24 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's the guys who haven't checked in that I'm worried about.

gsettle
gsettle Reader
10/10/24 9:56 a.m.

Has anyone heard from anybody on Anna Maria Island?

Have some friends with homes there that got hit hard from Helene... Haven't heard about the Milton damage there yet..

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/24 10:13 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

...Hopefully I'm not getting ahead here, but it seems like this wasn't quite as bad as it could have been?...  

It looks like it reduced strength a fair amount just before landfall. The recorded winds are much lower than Catagory 3, 120 mph sustained winds expected. Egmont Channel recorded a gust of 105 mph which was the highest I have found. The tornadoes it spun off are the real worriers and apparently, there were a lot of them.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/10/24 10:18 a.m.
gsettle said:

Has anyone heard from anybody on Anna Maria Island?

Have some friends with homes there that got hit hard from Helene... Haven't heard about the Milton damage there yet..

I have a buddy who does EMS on the island, surge was significantly less than Helene/Idalia, but much more wind damage.  A few houses/buildings toppled, many with minor to moderate damage, but mostly not too bad.  They're checking bridge integrity to all barrier islands as we speak and will assess further.  He didn't seem super doom and gloom though, FWIW. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/10/24 10:22 a.m.

We made it through so far without losing power but we have water in the yard again. Nothing made it into the house so so far we are very lucky.

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9I4EXvjj3dzU6Nu291uewF3J7XSkh6JXXcRT2ByI9Roi7mHpcWKB8lInyzus1SQY