1 ... 11 12 13
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/24 3:13 p.m.

Before Milton the City hadn't picked up yard debris from Helene yet. I grabbed my lawn trailer and worked with neighbors to get all our "potential projectiles" loaded and strapped down. I parked it in its usual spot in the backyard and the nearby oak added a big branch on top during Milton. Winning!

Checked the County website this am and they had two collection sites open. Beelined to one asap and only had to wait 20 minutes to get in. Unloaded and then went looking for generator gas. That took close to an hour.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/24 3:56 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Before Milton the City hadn't picked up yard debris from Helene yet. I grabbed my lawn trailer and worked with neighbors to get all our "potential projectiles" loaded and strapped down. I parked it in its usual spot in the backyard and the nearby oak added a big branch on top during Milton. Winning!

Checked the County website this am and they had two collection sites open. Beelined to one asap and only had to wait 20 minutes to get in. Unloaded and then went looking for generator gas. That took close to an hour.

I'm happy to hear that your place is okay!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/11/24 3:59 p.m.

Family made it home.  Power is out on a couple spots in the condo, but that is pretty much it.  Hopefully just a few breakers flipped.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
10/11/24 4:31 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/11/24 5:25 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Uh, yeah.  I am going to go ahead and guess the guy with the trailer did not make it across.

Towing a trailer in hurricane force winds / tornado is bad... mmmkay?

No Time
No Time UberDork
10/11/24 5:32 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

Is it the same community as the one in the news clip I posted? (A few posts back)

My father lives in the one in the clip I posted. 

Here in Valrico, east of Tampa, it was scary for a long time.  We did not incur any significant damage but many of our neighbors did, including uprooted trees damaging homes and cars. We had significant street flooding, not from the storm surge so much as the extreme rainfall, and it got into some of the neighbors' cars and homes. We are on TECO/Tampa Electric and never lost power, but some friends in the other end of our neighborhood are still without power as of Friday afternoon.  Many traffic lights are out, and there have been fire trucks and ambulances going back and forth all day on the main road by us.  TECO had line crews from around the US and as far away as Canada pre-staged to begin restoration work immediately after the storm, but there is a lot of damage to repair.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
10/11/24 6:32 p.m.
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) said:

Here in Valrico, east of Tampa, it was scary for a long time.  We did not incur any significant damage but many of our neighbors did, including uprooted trees damaging homes and cars. We had significant street flooding, not from the storm surge so much as the extreme rainfall, and it got into some of the neighbors' cars and homes. We are on TECO/Tampa Electric and never lost power, but some friends in the other end of our neighborhood are still without power as of Friday afternoon.  Many traffic lights are out, and there have been fire trucks and ambulances going back and forth all day on the main road by us.  TECO had line crews from around the US and as far away as Canada pre-staged to begin restoration work immediately after the storm, but there is a lot of damage to repair.

Glad to hear you are ok Danny, Andrew Wong here from the Suncoast PCA autocrosses. It did look like a lot of people in the Brandon area got a lot of that flooding.

We just got power in my part of Lutz as of 6pm after it went out at 2:30 am the morning of the storm. Was checking my community Facebook page and it started slow rolling around 2pm today. A cousin 5 minutes away never lost power, but lost internet on Spectrum. I am really glad at least the weather cooled considerably that it made this power outage bearable vs say an August outage. 

Friend in New Syrmna beach still doesn't have power at his house. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/11/24 6:56 p.m.

Hey Andrew and Danny! (It’s like a local autocross.)

Still no power here in Ormond, although our neighbors across the street have it. No estimate when our power will return, either. 

We have fiber internet, and it’s working. A neighbor with Spectum said his was still out.

We had to take the dog to Jax for a vet appointment today. The wind damage seemed to peter out in Flagler, although lots of standing water north of there. 

Lots of power company trucks heading south on 95.

The arborist came by today to look at everything and said he’ll be back during the week. Just realized that I haven’t downloaded my tree photos from my camera. 

Just about sunset, so we’re making sure all of our lanterns are recharged. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/11/24 8:07 p.m.

Power projected to be on at home Tuesday noonish

Work still doesn't have power.  As of now they are gonna check Sunday night and let us know day-to-day.

Guess I'll go back down Sunday afternoon, see how bad it is, maybe find a friend with a generator and sleep on their couch.

Edit: from Duke

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/11/24 10:33 p.m.

Our power restoration prognosis in Volusia is a bit less rosy than Mr_Asa's

But that's also the outlook for almost full restoration. The hardest hit or flooded areas—and we have a lot of those—will need to wait on power until infrastructure to access lines is restored, and that's likely what's throwing our curve off. Plenty of us Volusians are are getting power back regularly even today. My mom got hers back today, and it sounds like David has power once again.

We still don;t have power at our place, but my generator is humming along and the internet is working, so all things considered it's not too bad.

I even managed to get my hose off the roof of the shop today. apparently it went for a hell of a ride during the storm.

1 ... 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXssUnkLuMZ8D3THuf1ppR8hiGS63PxhfNpGO19MTgCzWUSGzAqapuScrsaehZl5