1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/9/24 9:28 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Why can't I add images from my phone?  iPhone

There was a forum update a couple weels back.  Try completely closing out all your apps and restarting your phone.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/9/24 9:36 a.m.

Didn't work.
i just updated to IOS 18.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/24 9:36 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

I assume your hangin' out in 'Bama till the storm gets on east of FL? What part?

Sorry it took a page to get back to this - we're in Dothan. Didn't realize you were close. Working diligently from hotel to stay distracted, haven't even looked at Marketplace yet to see what I can buy. May go motorhome shopping later just in case we need temp living. We were thinking about getting one next year, might move that up depending. I love your Kingsley but not sure it's right for me. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/24 9:39 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Didn't work.

We have a thread about any iPhone issues here and are working with our developers.

If you have any more info that can help them troubleshoot your info, drop it in that thread for them.

Thanks. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/9/24 9:42 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Put down the sharpie. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/9/24 10:20 a.m.

Well, here we are. All my fridge groceries left this morning for the fridge in swmbos office at Disney. She's on ride out, so she's gonna be on flood watch and leaks and panicked kids and E36 M3 for about the next 36 hours. I would have gone with and just hidden in her office, but we have cats and I cannot abandon them. So, I'm in my bunker in Longwood. House is brick, seems to have held up to the last however many hurricanes fine. The storm continues to track south which only helps me out, as I'm more worried about wind taking down my lines. Bout as ready as I can be, I guess. 

David S. Wallens
10/9/24 10:29 a.m.

The latest, with this posted at about 10:30 a.m. today.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/24 10:35 a.m.

My in-laws live in Bradenton and have evacuated to Alabama.

I hope they have a home to return to.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/9/24 10:36 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
DrBoost said:

Didn't work.

We have a thread about any iPhone issues here and are working with our developers.

If you have any more info that can help them troubleshoot your info, drop it in that thread for them.

Thanks. 

Thanks. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/9/24 10:51 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

My in-laws live in Bradenton and have evacuated to Alabama.

I hope they have a home to return to.

Cleetus put up a vid about prepping in Bradenton. He's also gonna be updating via his personal fb page, as he's staying put.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/9/24 10:54 a.m.

Just finished getting my parents ready to ride out the storm. I am happy we double checked the generator because as soon as we started it up the fuel line broke and started leaking fuel out of the tank. All fixed now with $1 worth of fuel line from the parts store. The track is looking better for us but all the rain is my big concern now but we have sandbags and sheets of plastic to try and stop any water if it tries to come inside. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/24 10:58 a.m.

Tampa Mayor Jane Castor noted that up to 15 feet (4.5 meters) of storm surge forecast for her city would be deep enough to swallow an entire house.

“So if you’re in it, basically that’s the coffin that you’re in,” Castor said.

Quoted yesterday 10-08-24. Don't risk your life, stay safe.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/9/24 11:17 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

While yes I agree with not risking your life, when people, especially people in a leadership role, say stuff like this I cringe.  While 15 feet is taller than a single story house, the house would have to be on the beach for that to happen.  I'm about a block from the St. Johns river which should see 2 feet of storm surge.  I'm also over 40 feet above river level.  I hate when people dumb down stuff because that makes others not think for themselves.

David S. Wallens
10/9/24 11:21 a.m.

David S. Wallens
10/9/24 11:22 a.m.

(Much of the GRM staff is in the Daytona Beach area.)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/9/24 11:23 a.m.

I've been asked to come down to help if significant cleanup is required (ie. the condo or garage gets water in it, and a bunch of stuff needs thrown out).  Other than making sure I have spare gas, water, food, trash bags, and tire plug kits, anything else I should bring for driving into the aftermath?  This is on the east coast, so it should only be a Cat 1 when it goes over.  I do have a dehumidifier I could drag down, too, assuming power is restored quickly.

David S. Wallens
10/9/24 11:30 a.m.

A dehumidifier isn’t a bad idea.

Stuff we usually need/use during cleanup: cash, gloves, boots, respirator, safety glasses, hat, sun block, push broom, chainsaw, pruners, rakes, lawn debris bags, cleaning supplies–basically whatever you’d need for demolition and a day out in the weather. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
10/9/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Downtown Tampa will flood if there is a strong SW wind for more than a day, no storm needed. There is a neighborhood near Bayshore Blvd( the one they always show on the national news) that could see 15' easily if this storm track doesn't keep drifting south.

We've covered most of the ground with asphalt and buildings, the only place for the surge to go is to push the Hillsborough and Alafia rivers backward.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
10/9/24 11:42 a.m.

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you in the path.  Hoping it turns out OK, but it's looking like a nasty one coming.  
Also, this thread (and the Helene one) have been excellent in providing real info from people on the ground and real information that can be tracked.  As opposed to the sensationalism from the media. 

-Rob

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 11:48 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/9/24 11:51 a.m.

Oh boy...  looks like a direct hit on Sarasota.  My aunt and uncle have medical issues and generally never leave their house.   TBD if one of my cousins is going to ride it out with them there or evac them to a hospital.  They've lived there for 50 years, so this isn't their first rodeo, but still... Milton is a big one... their medical issues are progressively worse... and my cousins (my age or older) aren't getting any younger.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/9/24 11:56 a.m.

Everything has moved south a bit.  They say it should move through fairly quickly?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/9/24 12:05 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

If water gets in, the big ole high speed air mover fans shaped like this are typically used to get the air moving enough to help dry everything out.  (No clue if thats the right CFM for that, just grabbed the first one with the right shape.) At a certain point you just cut it all out though.

All the home supply stores are likely to be empty, so any basics you might think you'd need will need to be brought in.

Likely wont need a chain saw to get anything out of the way, but if you have space it wouldn't hurt, make sure the blade is sharp.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 12:05 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Both are good news for my travel/work needs... not so much for the folks in the path. 
Friends just S of Sarasota happened to be in OK visiting their son; had to change their return flight to "undetermined ". The hope they'll have a house to come home to!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/9/24 12:10 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Stampie :

People in so called leadership rolls, seem to be getting dumber by the the day. Totally irresponsible to say something that crass, much less how uninformed. But, sensationalism sells, so here we are. 
All my best to ALL affected by this one; looking like I'll be traveling far enough behind it, to hope I'll do ok. 

Got berkeley all to do with sensationalism.  Its about trying to reach the idiots with their heads so far up their asses that they don't think anything bad will happen to them.  

So many resources are wasted and lives are lost trying to save these people after the fact.  If a little bit of harsh language reaches them I'm ok with it 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LgHuHQxjJrQ0MI9YNvtdYwreqeGsyZhykokgGpWt0NenFbm30aXiEa5fIHgzWrA5