1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/13 7:38 p.m.

I am home with the five year old for the summer, so actual car projects are kind of tricky to pull off. Fortunately, I have discovered old bicycles. It began back in early June when I stumbled upon a 1973 Schwinn Speedster three speed on Craigslist.

Before:

photo VintageSpeedster003_zpsc1ab3c13.jpg

After:

photo SchwinnBikes025_zpsae710cd6.jpg

In the weeks since, I have picked up four more Schwinns, two Ralleighs and an old Murray. They join the early 70's Ross Barracuda 16 that was my first bike.

The beauty of old bikes is the fact that you can pick them up for next to nothing and, unless you're repainting them, you can strip one down completely and rebuild it in 24 hours. Plus, you get to ride a cool old bike when you're done. As a bonus, my daughter is getting involved with this too. We will disassemble, clean and rebuild a bike together and then spend the afternoon riding together. Everybody wins.

Here's a summary in the order that they showed up:

The 1972(?) Ross Barracuda that I got for Christmas when I was four or five. It was my first bike. My daughter has a new 20 inch Trek with training wheels that is still a little big for her. She wanted to learn to ride without the training wheels and she suggested that we "fix up the little bike downstairs" for her to learn on. Good enough for me.

photo MollysBike007_zpsb3211458.jpg

After I outgrew the Ross, my father bought me a Raleigh Rodeo three speed for $7, which I eventually sold to the guy who would one day become my brother in law for $25. That bike is long gone, but it got me thinking about Raleighs. A Craigslist search turned up a 1966-ish girls Raleigh Fireball five speed with a vintage speedometer and redline slicks front and rear. It was about five minutes away from my house. This one is just being stored for now, but will eventually be restored for my daughter. This is a really nice bike.

photo SchwinnSpeedster020_zpsffa3fecb.jpg

As I mentioned, as a kid, I rode a Raleigh, but I wanted a Schwinn, and I couldn't shake the decades-old desire for a Sting Ray. I answered an ad for "an original 60's vintage Schwinn", which turned out to be a 1966 Murray Wildcat Deluxe, repainted in matte red. I bought it anyway. It was a good rider, but left me cold and it has become a parts donor.

photo SchwinnBikes017_zpsb74a0668.jpg

Then, another girl's bike, a 1970 Schwinn Hollywood. One of the sad tragedies of the old bike world is that girls' bikes tend to be in much better condition than boys bikes, but are worth nothing. I got this one for $20. It has over a hundred dollars worth of parts on it that will find their way onto other projects.

photo Schwinns001_zps465ec427.jpg

I still wanted an early Sting Ray, and was starting to appreciate the beauty of single speed coaster-brakers over shifters, so took a chance on an eBay bike. It's a 1966 Sting Ray Standard. This bike is going to get a bare metal / powder coat restoration. I have the rest of the parts for it, but here's a photo that I snapped while I was unpacking it. Violet is a fairly rare color for that year.

photo StingRayBX008_zpscce1a1dd.jpg

I drove past an estate sale last weekend and decided to turn around and go back. I found a girl's 16 inch Raleigh for five bucks. It was filthy, but still has pieces of the original plastic wrapping on it. My daughter and I completely disassembled it and cleaned everything. She was anxious to start putting it back together and when I asked her what she wanted to start with, I fully expected her to say that she wanted to put on the purple seat or pink grips. She wanted to grease the bearings. That's my girl. She helped turn every wrench on this one and that afternoon, she learned to ride it without training wheels.

I wish I had taken photos of it when it was apart, but somehow I forgot to.

photo OldBikes007_zps04854e58.jpg

I picked up another frame off eBay. This one is a 1969 Sting Ray Fastback. It was cheap and in my favorite color, Campus Green. I will soon have enough parts to turn into a bike again.

photo OldBikes004_zps243071af.jpg

And, finally, while looking for parts on Craigslist, I stumbled upon the bike that has turned out to be my favorite rider of the bunch. Again, it was advertised as a "mid-60s Schwinn", but I knew from the photo that it was much later than that. I saw knobbies and a black BMX style handlebar. I figured that I would trash that stuff and add some 60s vintage tires and bars. I made a lowball offer and the original owner accepted it. The bike was in fantastic condition, aside from having had a lot of dust on it. When I got it home and started to clean it up, I peeled a small sticker off the chain guard. Underneath, it said "BX. As it turns out, it was a one year only model (1978). It was Schwinn's response to the burgeoning BMX craze. The black bars and knobbies were original. It even had all the original reflectors and grips in place. Other than some worn (and easily replaceable) decals on the top tube, it is in fantastic condition. I didn't even have to use Naval Jelly on the chrome, but I did strip it down and regrease all the bearings. I removed the black bars to repaint them and put on some ape hangers for now.. I also added an early style sissy bar. This bike rides like it's brand new and the ugly black seat (Made in Italy!) is super comfortable. I really love this one.

photo StingRayBX007_zpsb61fa058.jpg

photo StingRayBX022_zps6d2216ee.jpg

photo StingRayBX002_zpsb509b46a.jpg

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/30/13 8:03 p.m.

I go way back with Schwinns. I should have kept all the Varsitys I bought for $5. I still have a lot of little parts.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/30/13 8:14 p.m.

Very nice bikes!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/30/13 8:33 p.m.

I still own every bike I've ever had. A late 1950s 20" J.C. Higgins (with a 1963 Schwinn Stingray seat on it), a mid-1960s Columbia (unfortunately the tank and luggage rack are long gone) and I'm still riding the mid-1970s Schwinn Le Tour I bought in college.

Woody
7/30/13 8:35 p.m.

I keep seeing Le Tours showing up all the time. They must have been big sellers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 9:28 p.m.

You know, I'm always looking for Pit Bike submissions for the mag.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/13 9:53 p.m.

I've always been into bikes, but I went through a serious vintage phase a few years ago, that also involved a few customs. So I totally feel for you Woody!

Here's a 3-wheeler I built for a friend.  photo 286ca922.jpg

This is an old Murray I threw some parts from a Schwinn exercycle onto.  photo img_2190.jpg

This was a custom I built called the "Drag-Queen". It's damn near unrideable, but I didn't really build it to ride anyway.  photo img_2194.jpg

Here's another mild build - a 1950's Western Flyer with a Schwinn trike back axle, repop fork, and vintage cooler.  photo a37bce26.jpg

There were a few other cool ones that came & went, but I don't have any pics nearby.

petegossett
7/30/13 9:55 p.m.

Oh, and if you're looking for any parts, I have piles...and I know people.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/30/13 10:06 p.m.

Woody,

The old Schwinn & Ross collections can get out of hand. Trust me. Had a buddy e-mail me yesterday about a girl's Barracuda he came across. I haven't had a chance to call and get the details yet.

My rider/pit bike is the Schwinn Fastback. The 3-speed hub is acting up. I've been thinking about swapping in a S-A internal 5-speed hub from a Grey Ghost reproduction into the Fastback's 3-speed rim. Would require time I don't have to dedicate to it right now. Should just attempt to adjust the cable again.

Oh, I have a very clean '69 Campus Green 3-speed fastback in the collection. That's what got the current collection going. Managed to find a clean original metallic green seat for it too. Nobody is allowed to sit on this one. My original was a '71 Campus Green 3-speed fastback.

If I get time I'll have to pull some out of the basement and get some pics to post.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/30/13 10:21 p.m.

Wow, that's quite the collection Woody!!!!

I never had a banana-seat 70's bike, but one would make a cool pit bike for sure.

I did, however, acquire two bikes last year. I scored a freebie Mongoose "Hoop-D" freestyle bike and a Robinson Rebel which aside from some slight decal differences, is identical to the Robinson Rebel I bought back in my paper route days (which I still have). That one was $5.99 at Savers. I got both as projects for my 11 year old nephew and I to restore, but after getting a shiny new freestyle bike, he's lost interest for the time being. I think one will see pit bike duty soon.

My sister used to race BMX back in the day, and we still have her team-sponsored 82-83 Supergoose. It rules. It still rides nice.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 10:51 p.m.

An early '80s Supergoose is a pretty cool bike.

Woody
7/31/13 5:57 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: You know, I'm always looking for Pit Bike submissions for the mag.

You're not going to make me take high resolution photos again are you?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/31/13 8:39 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

That three wheeler is AWESOME.

Woody
7/31/13 2:30 p.m.

I decided to commandeer the whitewalls from the Murray. I think they look better with the chrome fenders and bars. Fortunately, they were a perfect fit for the BX's front and rear S2 rims. They ride much smoother than the knobbies.

photo OldBikes001_zps278ec40e.jpg

beans
beans HalfDork
8/1/13 11:01 a.m.

I had a sweet early 80's Schwinn Predator BMX that I bought for $50 when I lived in Wyoming. I'm still kicking myself for not keeping it, restored it was worth like $800. Decent shape, too.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/13 9:01 p.m.

These bicycles remind me of this

Woody
8/1/13 9:13 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: With the BX being a 1 year gig, wouldn't it be worth more stock?

I still have all the stock parts for it and they are safely tucked away. Right now, I'm riding it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/13 11:07 p.m.

makes me miss my first Mountain Bike. I had a schwinn, it was a High Sierra.. at the time when I bought it, that bike was -just- under their top of the line Mountain Bike and had the cool Cam brakes.

Sadly, it was stolen from behind my house where had been locked up with a "harley" fork lock and a half inch airplane cable that was originally used for theatre use, but was too kinked to be safe to hold it's rated load. All three parts disappeared, so I imagine one of the roving junkmen grabbed it

Looked a lot like this one. Was a good comfy bike that took a lot of abuse.

Woody
8/2/13 5:43 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Looked a lot like this one. Was a good comfy bike that took a lot of abuse.

Jeez, I thought you were in my driveway!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/13 6:43 a.m.

This is my only Schwinn. Supposedly a 1940s era.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
8/2/13 7:50 a.m.

I've got three Stingrays and know a guy who wants to give me two more. I had a LeTour in college, gave it to my little brother and he still rides it to class daily. I'm going to try and talk my dad out of scrapping a select few old bikes and bike parts, including several I grew up riding. The Schwinns I'd like to clean up and make nice cruisers out of, the miscellaneous others I'd rather fix and give to kids who'd appreciate them.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
8/2/13 2:54 p.m.

I had this Huffy in 1969. I was bad stuff.

petegossett
8/2/13 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Is that a real Whizzer? I have a friend who happened upon a Whizzer frame/fork and it took him a long time to figure out what it was. It has indentions in the chainstays unlike any other 1940's Schwinn.

I also have a neighbor with a complete Roadmaster Whizzer, but it's a total basket-case.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/13 4:21 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

No, it's a build of someones, using the Chinese 80cc engine. He did a pretty good job with it including building the gas tank. Too bad the engine is a piece of junk. it's in pieces right now to install a 4 stroke engine. Another one of those projects I haven't finished yet. It keeps slipping down the list. It was fun to ride too. I used to get all kind of strange looks from people while cruising the neighborhood.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
8/6/13 1:20 p.m.

Schwinn Stingray wet dream collection - NMNA (crack pipe price)

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/3949855999.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nh8YsQ9Hm8C35H5Ut5DXHNDUUqqD4AEIJmGJh3m2JTNKyD7vWh09hVisgRoHUNyR