1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/24 9:20 a.m.

And I posted a few more film photos to my Instagram with more from that roll coming soon. These were shot with my Canon F-1. (Really happy with that one.)

Yeah, way grainy. I blame the CT scanner at DAB. My bad.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/12/24 10:45 a.m.

So I'm heading out on vacation soon, what films should I bring with me?

I'm planning on bringing my K1000 and maybe my Kodak Duaflex II. (A 620 camera, but I've found a good source for film.)

David S. Wallens
8/12/24 11:30 a.m.

Whatever film you bring, don’t let it go through the CT scanner. :)

David S. Wallens
8/12/24 11:32 a.m.

And, seriously, I have been happy with that DayShots 400. It does a bit of grain. Less grain? Maybe Fuji 400. I need to shoot some 100.

Some related watching from our local lab.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
8/12/24 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Where are you going? Need an idea on the light quality and what sort of scenes to make any suggestions. If there's street photography, I'd go B&W. If it's tropical and warm, bring some of those low ISO films we talked about last week. 

Colin Wood
8/12/24 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

It'd primarily be tropical and warm.

I feel like the safe option is Gold 200, though I'll check back on the previous page and start filling my virtual cart.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
8/13/24 12:48 a.m.

Gold 200 sounds like a great summer option. How many rolls do you figure? 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
8/13/24 12:49 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And I posted a few more film photos to my Instagram with more from that roll coming soon. These were shot with my Canon F-1. (Really happy with that one.)

Yeah, way grainy. I blame the CT scanner at DAB. My bad.

I swear I just saw some infrared images over on Filmwasters with clouds very similar to this. Beautiful image. Very painterly. 

David S. Wallens
8/13/24 1:00 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thank you as it all lined up for a cool shot. Maybe sending that film through the CT scanner was a blessing.

David S. Wallens
8/13/24 9:25 a.m.

CT scanner plus 400 speed film plus slight canister light leak. No editing, no Photoshop. 

Colin Wood
8/13/24 10:59 a.m.

I'll admit the last time I went on vacation, I was spoiled because I was able to purchase film after I landed and then mailed the film I shot back to my house.

I'm not sure if I'll have the option this time, but I don't know if I'm super worried about adding a little grain. I'll have to see how receptive TSA is to hand-checking my film.

David S. Wallens
8/13/24 11:31 a.m.

FWIW, the TSA people in Denver didn’t complain when I asked them to hand check my film. Totally my bad for letting the film go through the scanner at DAB.

Next time, I’ll bring a bag or pouch for the film to keep everything together. My old camera bag has a removable film pouch, and I believe it’s here somewhere. 

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
8/13/24 1:02 p.m.

Oh yeah I've never had an issue at American airports

Overseas is where it seems to be a crapshoot on hand inspections for film, friend told me he thinks one of the rolls was probably ruined due to the security officer possibly opening the back of his camera

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/13/24 1:32 p.m.

Yeah, no issues whatsoever at US airports. No experience in Asia, but Europe is, um, inconsistent. Generally, there's at least some pushback on hand-checking anything, but sometimes they'll do it begrudgingly. On the other hand, I was told by security in Croatia that if I didn't want my film put through the scanner (or asked about it again) "I could take the bus". They were very much not joking.

David S. Wallens
8/13/24 1:36 p.m.

If you mail the film, does it also go through some kind of scanner? 

Colin Wood
8/13/24 1:57 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It must have, but my L.A. photos didn't have any noticable additional grain–at least to me.

Good to hear that there hasn't been issues on domestic flights.  I'm only uncertain because Orlando can be a certain kind of Hell.

David S. Wallens
8/13/24 2:54 p.m.

Got some scans back this morning. I’ll look at them after work. 

David S. Wallens
8/14/24 10:47 a.m.

This is Fuji 400. Some grain. Can’t remember if this roll also went through the CT scanner.

Colin Wood
8/14/24 11:09 a.m.

A few of the pictures from my L.A. trip.

If a scanner added the grain I don't mind it. Looking back at the photos, I feel like I can see vertical lines in some of them.

David S. Wallens
8/14/24 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

What film was that? 

Colin Wood
8/14/24 12:16 p.m.

Gold 200.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
8/14/24 12:25 p.m.

It looks a bit underexposed vs possibly being run through a CT scanner/xray radiation damage?

David S. Wallens
8/14/24 12:55 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

Maybe? I should do some light meter comparisons. 

Colin Wood
8/17/24 5:14 p.m.

Update: Got all the rolls of film I've been hording developed. Here's a handful of my favorites so far. (Go figures, I found two more rolls I need to get developed this morning.)

​​​​​​​

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
8/18/24 10:40 p.m.

That first image of the BMW stands out to me. The narrow latitude shown in this example is one of the things that makes film so different from digital. The subject here could have been the guys chatting in the background but thanks to a few stops difference between them and the front of the car, they're completely out of the story. Nice shot.  

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQySdGQsVpT0atmFKZTNbNEpTiAXaEQzp560zGaanxJ2r5ZswAMYgMexlLglSpQD