John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/09 7:25 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/06/video-mythbusters-annihilate-a-car-near-the-speed-of-sound/

Hilarity

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
12/7/09 7:48 a.m.

One of my favorite of favorite Mythbusters episodes.

Although, I'm surprised it took so long to get to autoblog- that aired a long time ago.

E-

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/7/09 7:51 a.m.

That is spectacular. I cannot think of a more awesome way to blow crap up. Do they rent that rig out for parties?

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/7/09 8:02 a.m.

I wonder how many G's that thing delivered? They have had a bunch of rocket failures, not this time.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
12/7/09 8:06 a.m.
cwh wrote: I wonder how many G's that thing delivered? They have had a bunch of rocket failures, not this time.

G's? You can't deliver G's. You deliver energy. That had a LOT of energy (speed*mass).

E-

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/7/09 8:48 a.m.

This nicely illustrates why you should never drive your Ford Aspire at or near the speed of sound. Imagine if you were to lose control and hit a bridge abutment?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/7/09 8:49 a.m.

Yeah, that video is at least a year old but it was pretty great. Just the other night they reran the episode where they split a car in two with that rocket sled, and that was even better.

BTW, for those who haven't seen the show recently, Jesse Combs (who used to be on that 4x4 show on Spike) is taking Kari Byron's place while she's on maternity leave.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
12/7/09 10:33 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Yeah, that video is at least a year old but it was pretty great. Just the other night they reran the episode where they split a car in two with that rocket sled, and that was even better. BTW, for those who haven't seen the show recently, Jesse Combs (who used to be on that 4x4 show on Spike) is taking Kari Byron's place while she's on maternity leave.

How's that working out? I haven't seen the show in over a year (no cable, just DVDs on Netflix). I really liked Kari and wasn't sure what to think about Jesse. Is she a good fit, does she act like a girl?

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/7/09 11:59 a.m.

She's a little stiff, but then again, not gonna lie, I'm in love with Kari. I think she could work out well, she reminds me a lot of Scotty.... I guess it remains to be seen if she can keep up with Grant and Torie.

EricM
EricM Dork
12/7/09 2:43 p.m.

I could watch that a thousand times.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/7/09 2:55 p.m.

Video of the car being split in two by the rocket sled: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-snowplow-split-evolution-high-speed-2.html

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
12/7/09 3:00 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Yeah, that video is at least a year old but it was pretty great. Just the other night they reran the episode where they split a car in two with that rocket sled, and that was even better. BTW, for those who haven't seen the show recently, Jesse Combs (who used to be on that 4x4 show on Spike) is taking Kari Byron's place while she's on maternity leave.
How's that working out? I haven't seen the show in over a year (no cable, just DVDs on Netflix). I really liked Kari and wasn't sure what to think about Jesse. Is she a good fit, does she act like a girl?

From what I can tell, Jesse is a pretty good fit. Bear in mind, she's a lot better fabricator than Tory or Grant. At least from what I can see. On the show I saw, she fabricated the cage to hold the diver for the crash compression.

Kari is great, but I can see Jesse staying around. Outside of her high pitched voice, she's good on TV.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/7/09 3:22 p.m.

Oh god, don't remind me of Scotty. (heart )

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/7/09 3:28 p.m.

Oh god, don't remind me of Scotty. (heart )

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/7/09 7:17 p.m.

Kari is Super Cute!

wait, uhh, weren't we talking about Aspires?

I saw that episode a long time ago. i have thought about doing that to mine. Come next July when I replace it, what would be more appropriate?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v9xIGawZJFV9ENP9RhAv3CBVCmnaxgPAFIgESq8hM38vlA6coqb0IHb6fAesrgIn