1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/20/18 8:39 p.m.

So I was mowing today. Just minding my own business tractoring circles and listening to the last podcast on the left. 

I look down to find what appears to be a newborn Wookiee on my thigh. I go to swipe it off and... ouch... baby Chewie stung me! I’ve had a little redness and a burning sensation on my forearm for the 8 hours since. 

Here’s a photo of the little beast. I’ve never seen anything like it.

The internet says it’s an asp caterpillar. Luckily I’m not allergic at all so I just got some burning. It turns into a pretty crazy looking moth. And apparently this isn’t really a Maryland local. Mostly found in the South. 

PSA: If you see one of these cute little guys, don’t pet it like I did. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/20/18 9:01 p.m.

That's bat-E36 M3 crazy looking.  surprise  Sorry God but I don't know what you were thinking there.  What causes the sting?  The hair or something else?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/20/18 9:03 p.m.

That thing is not of this earth.  Aliens.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/20/18 9:09 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Yeah if you zoom in on the first photo you can see the little barbs sticking out of the hair on its back. 

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) Reader
8/20/18 9:16 p.m.

"Puss Caterpillar"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopyge_opercularis

The moth looks pretty crazy too!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/20/18 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Brokeback (Matt) :

Wow reading that Wiki page it seems I’m pretty lucky when it comes to effects. I just got some slightly annoying burning. I thought I felt some chest pain but just kept mowing. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
8/20/18 9:40 p.m.

I found this one on a rock in the middle of the road in our local wildlife management area. We've had some pretty serious rain lately and I had stopped to move the rock which had washed down. You can't unsee the bird faces on it. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/20/18 10:07 p.m.

How did it get that far up your leg without you feeling it crawl?  Please don't say it can leap because I'll never leave the city again. blush

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/18 10:47 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

How did it get that far up your leg without you feeling it crawl?  Please don't say it can leap because I'll never leave the city again. blush

it maybe fell on him from a tree?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
8/20/18 10:53 p.m.

Lol, THAT was funny.  Speshully since I'm a country boy

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/21/18 6:27 a.m.

Rumor has it that you can brush it in one direction but not the other.  Like a porcupine.  But I’m not trying.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/21/18 6:43 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

...listening to the last podcast on the left. 

You've summoned it from another dimension- hail satan!  devil

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/21/18 7:57 a.m.

Growing up in FL, every few years a horde of big green fuzzy caterpillars would descend on the poinsettias in front of the house. Touching one felt like a hornet-sting. My dad and I would sit on buckets for hours cutting them in half with garden shears. I’m sure there was a more humane way of controlling the population, but I think my Dad was the first to get stung and this was his revenge.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/21/18 8:33 a.m.

I can only assume I knocked it off a tree when mowing underneath. Or maybe it crawled from the tractor seat onto my pants. I certainly would have felt it come up my leg. Thing was big. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/21/18 8:41 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Growing up in FL, every few years a horde of big green fuzzy caterpillars would descend on the poinsettias in front of the house. Touching one felt like a hornet-sting. My dad and I would sit on buckets for hours cutting them in half with garden shears. I’m sure there was a more humane way of controlling the population, but I think my Dad was the first to get stung and this was his revenge.

I let this one live. Reading about the havoc they make on trees I kind of wish I hadn’t. It took some prying to get it off my shorts. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 9:03 a.m.

When I saw the thread title, I knew it would be bad...when I saw the pic, I was like "OHHHH E36 M3!"

https://www.wired.com/2014/09/never-touch-anything-looks-like-donald-trumps-hair/

If you're lucky you might've just got the hairs and not the actual stingers.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/21/18 9:30 a.m.

When do the superpowers kick in?   I'm looking forward to the Higginbotham Mothman terrorizing the countryside!  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/21/18 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

A Higginmotham, if you will.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
8/21/18 10:47 a.m.

Thread title made me think you bought this

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/21/18 12:44 p.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) :

Yep, that would have been much better. 

So, 24-hour update: No more burning but you can still see where it got me. 

I feel so strangely powerful today...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/21/18 12:47 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) :

Yep, that would have been much better. 

So, 24-hour update: No more burning but you can still see where it got me. 

I feel so strangely powerful today...

The egg-laying procedure is fairly painless to the host.  Just wait a couple weeks until they hatch and the larvae start the subcutaneous burrowing stage...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/21/18 12:53 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 what a crazy looking caterpillar. Glad you made it out alive

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/21/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Keep an eye on that and make sure it doesn't develop into cellulitis, stings and bites can go that way pretty easily sometimes (BTDT).

Superpowers will only activate if it was radioactive at the time of the bite, you're in Florida so zombification is more likely. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/21/18 1:22 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I think I’ve been stung by just about every kind of local bee/wasp/ant with no issues besides the initial pain, but this is the first time a caterpillar has gotten me. I’ll keep an eye on it for sure. Thanks. 

And I’m in Maryland now, not Florida. Which is weird. If it happened in Florida I would have probably accepted it as just one of Florida’s many creepy crawly land mines. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/21/18 2:17 p.m.

Who knew there were even caterpillars that looked like mustaches?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KQV2uyGgSIKgWU255aCfmopgJ9Oo2nrV7CaEnUawq0Tf1lqyD8k0xAQ8S7iXj16q