JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/10 12:52 p.m.

We have high winds from hell here today, and it's done me the favor of relocating some of our roofing shingles to the ground. Gah. The torn off shingles were right at the peak of the roof, so mostly what I'll have to do is just nail down new shingles, of which we have plenty of spares thanks to the previous owners of our house. I don't own a ladder though, and our roof is a steep 12/12 pitch. Not looking forward to climbing up there. At least we're not scheduled for any more rain or snow in the next few days.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/10 1:01 p.m.

12/12 !?!

JeffHarbert
2/10/10 1:05 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: 12/12 !?!

Yep.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/10 1:07 p.m.

A frame style house? that's what.. a 45 degree slope?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/10 1:12 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: A frame style house? that's what.. a 45 degree slope?

A 12/12 pitch should be about 45*

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/10/10 1:32 p.m.

Smile and say Thank Gawd they're not slate.

And I'll take a little wind over the snow we have.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/10/10 1:48 p.m.

45* yes...and I went through that 2 years ago now when the remnants of a hurricane made it all the way up to Ohio. I was at lunch when it came through, watched it tear a few streetlights right off the wires they were suspended on. I decided to go home when the awning of the restaurant I was eating at ripped off the building, rolled over the roof, caught on the industrial AC unit like a sail, tearing it off the roof, and dumping the whole shebang into an Accord in the lot...that car looked like it caught the AC unit like a glove catches a baseball.

I dodged 20' sections of 3" pvc corrugated culvert, and a backyard shade tent on the way home, not to mention all the random garbage cans and roosters etc that were whirling about.

When I got home, there was a crowd in front of my house oohing and awwwing as the shingles flew off one by one. I live right at the bend in the street, and my home is somewhat L shaped...the apex of the inside of the L is straight in line with the street, so basically there was an unobstructed path from west to east, culminating at my livingroom. That made a perfect little tunnel for the dying hurricane to take its frustration out on my ranch home.

It also popped 4 sections of privacy fence of their posts and uprooted a tree just behind my property line. The trees roots were under a post in my property fence, so up came that post, snapping some rails in my split rail fence like twigs.

Roofing companies were springing up out of the woodwork after that, dropping off cards and flyers at my house all the time for weeks...good thing I know roofing (did it for several years as a teen) and still knew a reputable contractor willing to help out an old friend.

We did get a new roof out of the deal, so that probably helps our home value right now while its still new. We also got a couple hundey in cash to have the fences fixed and the tree cut up...of course I used that cash to pay someone else to do that .

Long and short, the insurance actually helped me out for once, rather than just being a bill I pay. Luckily, my rates didnt go up either...the ins. company cannot raise your rates in Ohio for a hurricane lol

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/10/10 1:57 p.m.

Florida insurance companies don't think like that. But I don't think it's real smart to rebuild a flattened ocean front house. Move, dummy. There will be another.

JeffHarbert
2/10/10 2:51 p.m.

Now about twice as many shingles have been ripped off, and the corrugated metal roof of our outbuilding is thinking of moving to the next county. I HATE wind.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/10/10 4:18 p.m.

I'm with ya. 34 degrees is tolerable. 34 degrees + 30 - 40 MPH wind sucks arse. We've had it the last couple days too. Fortunately the only casualty so far has been the canvas top to our gazebo thing on the back deck (classy) Probably should check the roof when I get home though.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/10 5:29 p.m.

It's been gusting 45+ here most of the day. One of my guys had to take a boat out to Fort Sumter this morning. It's a 50' steel hull and he said it was bobbing like a cork. The National Park Service pulled everyone off the fort about 10am because they were worried they wouldn't be able to dock again this afternoon. I still got all my shingles though. Good luck with yours.

JeffHarbert
2/10/10 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Thanks. I'm mostly concerned about safety on such a steep roof. I might go ahead and buy a proper safety harness. It'll come in handy when I start construction on my shop in a few months.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/10 7:38 p.m.

Definitely do the harness. It isn't worth dying for the price of a $50 harness and I can promise you a 12/12 is steep

bamalama
bamalama Reader
2/10/10 9:17 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: In reply to Toyman01: Thanks. I'm mostly concerned about safety on such a steep roof. I might go ahead and buy a proper safety harness. It'll come in handy when I start construction on my shop in a few months.

I'd get a harness. I also keep the foam out of an old couch cushion in my work van for when I have to get on a steep roof. It won't slip and it sure is more comfortable to sit on than shingles.

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
2/10/10 9:50 p.m.

+1 on foam cushions. All of the post-Katrina guest workers had them in Louisiana for roofing work.

On a side note, my sister's insurance adjuster was afraid of heights so he wrote a claim for a whole new roof on her house after Katrina because he would not inspect it. Fortunately (for the insurer) another adjuster came out months later an re-inspected it correctly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0eavw8fXROjMyN00BYEfufefOaM0wnH5ojc78zJPJice57PEpqrEWHx3gBJ991nt