RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/11/24 5:57 p.m.

The fine folks over at the Social Security Administration produce actuarial life tables and make them available to the public.

I'll be sixty years old this June and the last time I checked the tables, my life expectancy on my upcoming birthday was 21.77 years.

Well, that was last year and a new Trustee Report (TR) has been released which pulled my life expectancy down to 20.47 years so poof, there goes 1.30 years.

I get it, about 1,140,000 Americans lost several (many in some cases) years of life to COVID but it's still a little disconcerting when the numbers actually hit.

Edit...

Click on this drop down to compare various TR's values: 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/24 6:34 p.m.

It says I'll live to be a bit over 76 which seems reasonable, actually showing closer to 2 years less than the previous estimate.

I think I could beat that if I don't get squashed by a Hummer EV leaving Cars & Coffee or gunned down by a killbot first though. I've clearly got the genes from my mom's side of the family, which come with a tendency toward longevity as a consolation prize for the mental illness.

Also you know the joke about "American health care authority has discovered X health problem" and someone responding "I don't have to worry about that because I'm not an American :-P "? Well it's actually true for this one:

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/u-s-life-expectancy-compare-countries/#Life%20expectancy%20at%20birth,%20in%20years,%201980-2021

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/24 8:46 p.m.

I was 28 when I lost a bet with God and received full blown diabetes. I came to grips with the fact my life expectancy is no longer what it was. I don't expect to see 60. Berk it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/11/24 11:35 p.m.

I don't think you, personally, lost any life expectancy at all.  The cumulative citizenry of your nation did.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/24 9:48 a.m.

So, if it's actually true that the people with the most "comorbidities" were the ones most affected by COVID, then wouldn't "removing" them from the life expectancy equation actually increase the life expectancy of the people who don't have those "comorbidities"? The fact that it didn't shows the REAL TRUTH and should be all you need to KNOW.cheeky

*I assume here of course that "comorbidities" is meant to mean a person is more likely to die from other non-covid factors.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/24 10:03 a.m.

I am sure I have.

The powers that be are having a new in ground lift installed at work and the work team is on day 5 of the 3 day project.

The shop doors are wide open, but that does not keep diesel fumes from filling the parts department.  *gasp*

After that bit of whining on my part, back to the original topic.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
1/12/24 10:25 a.m.

Interesting but not surprising is the spending on our health care vs life expectancy.   Western insurance and healthcare ma$chine doesn't help keep us health, it keep pushing pills and visits.  Think for yourselves people, just because the FDA approves that our food is made of chemicals instead of whole foods doesn't mean we should eat them.   Who has had a health care professional tell them to make diet and exercise changes and stop eating out of a bag or box?  Not often enough.

Ok off topic, but interesting covid effects on the world vs USA, the question is why.  We have lived longer because we have money, that only goes so far.  Our average unhealthy lifestyle has caught up with us and there is no going back.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/12/24 10:34 a.m.

Your life expectancy didn't change. The statistics on everyone else did.

You are still gonna live exactly the same length of time that you always were. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/12/24 12:58 p.m.

Everybody on average gets to about 75ish if you are male with modern medicine. Everything past that is genetics and how well you took care of yourself.

The average age of my grandparents when they went of natural causes was 101. These people started smoking at 10, drank like fish and ate red meat at every dinner. One lived / worked on a farm till he was in is early 90's.  

RX Reven'
1/12/24 2:26 p.m.

I'm fine with this topic going in whatever direction the hive wants but my initial intent wasn't to start a serious discussion.

IMHO both Streetwiseguy and SV rEX are invoking philosophical constructs of determinism and materialism which I have opinions on but I'm not very passionate about so whatever.

I also don't have a lot of theistic passion but wearmicrobe's comment about us getting 75ish years did cause me to recall this...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/12/24 2:28 p.m.

On my mother's side, around 90 seems to be the average.  Hard to say on my father's side as I have little contact with them.

That said, cancer also runs in both sides of the family, so...  it'll be a dice roll.  I'll go when I go. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/12/24 2:29 p.m.

According to this, I died 3 years ago. 

Being a spooky ghost ain't so bad. Still gotta pay rent tho. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/24 3:49 p.m.

The chart says I have almost 30 years left which sounds exhausting.  I don't know how much I have to worry about it, no one in my family has made it to retirement yet.  

RX Reven'
1/12/24 5:05 p.m.

Hi Wally,

Not to give you a sad but I was actually thinking about Jodi when I commented on how COVID took many years away from some people in my initial post.

Oh, and Happy Birthday my friend!!!

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/24 6:34 p.m.

I just did an online Health calculator and at 58 actual, my physical age is 32 apparently. I'm going to go with that one.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/24 8:27 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

No worries, it altered the timelines for a lot of people so it's going to come up at times. 

thank you, I'm guessing a bot brought up the birthday post. It's about six months off, i get another one in June. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/13/24 7:33 a.m.
RX Reven' said:

IMHO both Streetwiseguy and SV rEX are invoking philosophical constructs of determinism and materialism which I have opinions on but I'm not very passionate about so whatever.

I assure you, I was doing basic arithmetic.  I have exactly zero beliefs that our lives are pre ordained by anything other than genetics,behavior and circumstance.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/24 11:10 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

So, if it's actually true that the people with the most "comorbidities" were the ones most affected by COVID, then wouldn't "removing" them from the life expectancy equation actually increase the life expectancy of the people who don't have those "comorbidities"? The fact that it didn't shows the REAL TRUTH and should be all you need to KNOW.cheeky

*I assume here of course that "comorbidities" is meant to mean a person is more likely to die from other non-covid factors.

He didn't die driving drunk, he died in a car crash while driving WITH drunk.  There's no correlation.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
1/14/24 11:03 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Interesting but not surprising is the spending on our health care vs life expectancy.   Western insurance and healthcare ma$chine doesn't help keep us health, it keep pushing pills and visits.  Think for yourselves people, just because the FDA approves that our food is made of chemicals instead of whole foods doesn't mean we should eat them.   Who has had a health care professional tell them to make diet and exercise changes and stop eating out of a bag or box?  Not often enough.

Ok off topic, but interesting covid effects on the world vs USA, the question is why.  We have lived longer because we have money, that only goes so far.  Our average unhealthy lifestyle has caught up with us and there is no going back.

The U.S. makes up such a small percentage of the world's population, yet takes about 52% of the world's pharmaceuticals.

"Why should I live healthy when I can just take a pill (and live with it's 15 side effects)."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zC0pbt2nsLF45Wq5Sj5aJlJ4GTYn09zSQYxBXP03JLbKAXieTH1HeSufqqKbsx1t