1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/2/23 10:45 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Keith Tanner said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

The last serious injury I had was due to a bicycle accident.

Everything is dangerous if you use it wrong enough.

Until a mountain biking accident a couple of years ago, my two most severe injuries were sustained on a slalom waterski. One involved stitches. And yes, multiple instances. 

It seems like the level of risk of bodily injury in fairly ordinary mountain biking is similar to spinning out of control next to a wall in a car.

I picked up a used skateboard from a thrift store a while ago, the deal was too good to pass up, I told myself it could be a practical means of transportation in some situations...I rode them a bit as a teenager, didn't learn any sick tricks but I didn't maim myself either.

I feel like 90% of mountain bikers have had a fairly serious shoulder injury.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/23 11:30 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
GameboyRMH said:
Keith Tanner said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

The last serious injury I had was due to a bicycle accident.

Everything is dangerous if you use it wrong enough.

Until a mountain biking accident a couple of years ago, my two most severe injuries were sustained on a slalom waterski. One involved stitches. And yes, multiple instances. 

It seems like the level of risk of bodily injury in fairly ordinary mountain biking is similar to spinning out of control next to a wall in a car.

I picked up a used skateboard from a thrift store a while ago, the deal was too good to pass up, I told myself it could be a practical means of transportation in some situations...I rode them a bit as a teenager, didn't learn any sick tricks but I didn't maim myself either.

I feel like 90% of mountain bikers have had a fairly serious shoulder injury.

Took me more than 30 years of frequent mountain biking, but that's what I got. Came off the bike, tried to do a shoulder roll, it was a hard landing and I popped a fuse in my shoulder.

First time I did a shoulder roll like that was on a skateboard when I hit some gravel on a downhill. Basically the same physics, the difference was 35 years of aging.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/23 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Same. After some 40-odd years of riding bikes, I misjudged some narrow trees at speed and ended up with a grade-2 separation of my right shoulder. This was Oct, 2020 (going to the ER at that time was fun). PT got it functional again, but it still isn't right and probably never will be unless I crash on it again and berk it up bad enough to require surgery. Apparently, the ligaments got stretched and they won't naturally go back to normal no matter what.  I have heard there are some exercises to strengthen the surrounding area (Turkish get-up?), but I have been lax in doing them. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/2/23 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I am just waiting to f up my shoulder. I guess at least with modern mountain bikes it is harder to go otb then on old ones.

Keith Tanner
3/2/23 1:43 p.m.

That was mine as well, a separated shoulder. I don't know what grade, it was almost but not quite enough to need surgery. You can't tell anymore other than I'm a slightly different shape on one side than the other - neither one looks wrong, they're just different. I've got scars that are more visible :) I do strength training a few times a week so that helps. Do your exercises!

I don't think modern bikes have any special powers. Usually going over the bars is the result of a decision to push the limits a bit ;) I'm a more conservative rider now, I was never a big air kinda guy.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/23 1:44 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Another way I see it is modern mountain bikes make it much easier to go very fast. However, that also means when things go wrong, the consequences can be a lot worse.  It's the main reason I haven't built up another full-on DH bike. Those bikes are designed to work at a minimum speed and I'm not sure I can physically handle the consequences of WHEN things go wrong at those speeds.  My 4 year old 29er enduro bike is already far more capable than I am. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/2/23 1:46 p.m.

One thing I forgot to mention: 

My friends and I used to practice pop shove-its all the time, and more times than not, we ended up whacking the crap out of our shins. One of my friends coined the term "Shin-Fuuu" which basically meant that doing those and not landing it would Berk your shins the Berk up! He remembered he had shin guards from his soccer days, strapped them on, and no more Shin-Fuuu.  

So yeah, if you plan on practicing those, invest in shin guards! 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/2/23 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

The fix for that is to just switch to frontside shuvs. Way more stylish, and you can't be lazy about them. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/23 2:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I don't think modern bikes have any special powers. Usually going over the bars is the result of a decision to push the limits a bit ;) 

This. I had made the decision to go all out down a hill when circumstances conspired to put me in an emergency braking situation at 27 MPH. I was on a borrowed bike, so I should've been more conservative since I wasn't as familiar with how the bike was set up. The front brake was a bit grabbier on that bike than mine is set up to be.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/2/23 6:35 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

That's true, but what fun is skateboarding without the imminent threat of berking yourself up royally? laugh

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/23 6:57 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

I wear a helmet wakeboarding. Water doesn't lessen the effects of a concussion. I know that now. 

I used to slalom water ski, what happens when your helmet catches the water at speed? I would think that it would rip your head off.

When I was a lad, we had to dismantle our old steel wheeled clamp over your shoes roller skates and screw it onto a board. When the rubber wheeled  skateboards came out and I asked my parents for one, my mom said that they where illegal in our home town. I couldn't figure out why all of my friends where law breakers. She said the same thing when I asked for a go cart. What a liar.

I was once in the emergency room with an infected tooth late at night on a Saturday and the kid in the bed next to me with a broken arm and all of his also drunk friends where bragging how great of a run they had just completed on the town's steepest hill on long boards. He wasn't feeling any pain.

Keith Tanner
3/2/23 7:15 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Slalom skiiers run at what, 32-ish mph? Wakeboarders are more likely to be under 20 and they're also far less likely to be leaning way out past the boat. Big difference in energy there. I've ripped apart a life jacket in a slalom fall.

When I think about it, I've had more violent (and frequent) crashes when waterskiing and kneeboarding than any other sport. Nothing happens faster than catching the nose on a kneeboard. I think the faceplant is actually faster than light.

Keith Tanner
3/2/23 7:21 p.m.

Best way I've tried to injure myself - my cousins had a table made out of a 4' circle of plywood. It was varnished and waterproofed, and we'd take the top off. Put a few kids on it and tow it behind the boat fast enough to get on plane. The best part was that when you wiped out (en masse), the tabletop would dive down to the depths of the lake - and then return on the reverse trajectory with about the same speed. So the pre-flight briefing including going into a fetal position to protect your head as soon as you hit the water so you wouldn't get decapitated by the tabletop of death slicing out of the water.

My aunt was a nurse, my uncle was a general practitioner MD. They probably should have known better, but hey.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/2/23 8:31 p.m.

To be fair, wakeboards are towed generally just above 20, way slower than the slalom guys as Keith said. But when you're coming down hot off trajectory, well past the far side of the wake, and immediately catch that front edge... there isn't time to even see. I've had a few concussions, but that was probably the worst. The dirt bike and mustang left the best scars though. Good times.  

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/23 4:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Slalom skiiers run at what, 32-ish mph? Wakeboarders are more likely to be under 20 and they're also far less likely to be leaning way out past the boat. Big difference in energy there. I've ripped apart a life jacket in a slalom fall.

When I think about it, I've had more violent (and frequent) crashes when waterskiing and kneeboarding than any other sport. Nothing happens faster than catching the nose on a kneeboard. I think the faceplant is actually faster than light.

Our state has almost passed a law requiring barefoot water skiers to wear special wet suits designed for just that purpose instead of a life jacket. I don't have to worry because I haven't tried in over 40 years and I never could barefoot anyway and all of the times I tried, I did a face plant trying to kick off the slalom ski at whatever our boat's top speed was which I suspect was just a little too slow.

ND Senate passes a bill requiring people who water ski to wear a new type of safety device

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/8/23 4:15 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Another way I see it is modern mountain bikes make it much easier to go very fast. However, that also means when things go wrong, the consequences can be a lot worse.  It's the main reason I haven't built up another full-on DH bike. Those bikes are designed to work at a minimum speed and I'm not sure I can physically handle the consequences of WHEN things go wrong at those speeds.  My 4 year old 29er enduro bike is already far more capable than I am. 

I have an aggressive hardtail so going fast is a lot harder then a full sus but with the slack head tube angle it certainly is harder to go otb then some of the older school geo bikes.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/8/23 4:17 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

One thing I forgot to mention: 

My friends and I used to practice pop shove-its all the time, and more times than not, we ended up whacking the crap out of our shins. One of my friends coined the term "Shin-Fuuu" which basically meant that doing those and not landing it would Berk your shins the Berk up! He remembered he had shin guards from his soccer days, strapped them on, and no more Shin-Fuuu.  

So yeah, if you plan on practicing those, invest in shin guards! 

My shins are basically just scar tissue from riding spikey pedals and getting kicked in soccer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tpQnETi7238DCaLW2jL1LgJkmGIOf1id84Ip2LkyO2k7PUvBqoSqmy8FONQaEpgU