Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/6/17 4:35 p.m.

Especially when it's from the most unexpected of places.

20-something guy at the skatepark wearing an Insane Clown Possy t-shirt brought his 3-4y.o. son along. This guy could not have been winning any harder at parenting. It was great.

Kid had his own skateboard and was rolling around and climbing around everywhere. Dad had his eye on the kid but never hovered. Let the kid roam pretty much wherever he wanted as long as he was in sight and not near a hazard. When the kid fell (which he did plenty while doing his best to skate around) dad would just stop and watch or look to be sure kid was okay. Ready to rush in, but never did as long as the kid was able to pick himself back up. Kid commented to the other skateboarders around, "falling is normal." We all agreed.

Just super positive and encouraging talking to the kid too. And totally doing stuff with him too. Kid would stand on dad's board and dad would stand over/around him, hold his hands, and go down medium sized ramps with the kid.

All in all, just doing a great job of being attentive while giving the kid freedom, and being firm and directing without getting bossy or reprimanding. That kid is going to be alright.

So, way to go young ICP dad! Way to go.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/6/17 5:14 p.m.

Every once in awhile people do it right.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/17 5:18 p.m.

I can't wait for that kid to ask his dad how magnets work

On a more serious note, I love seeing good parenting too. Even just little things like holding your kid's hand in the parking or across the street.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 6:31 p.m.

It’s Girl Scout cookie season and I’ve been boothing (you know, setting up a card table in front of high traffic areas like supermarkets) with my two daughters.

Numerus customers have commented on it being nice to see the dads get involved and although I don’t have the randomization and sample size necessary to statistically conclude that the dad effect drives increased sales, I’m three for three in terms of moving the most cookies and I overheard one of my daughters tell the other “we need to bring more cookies because dads' up today”.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/7/17 4:33 p.m.

Saw ICP Dad with som at park again today. Made sure to compliment him since I didn't have the chance yesterday.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/7/17 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

The appropriate ICP response would have been whoop whoop

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/17 5:14 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven':

I was actually complimented for changing my daughter's diaper at a changing station in a Washington State Park Lodge a while back. The guy actually said he'd never seen anyone use the changing station in the men's room there in all the years he'd been going there.

Given the state of it, I'd reckon that SOMEONE used it before me, but to what purpose I'd rather not ponder too much. :)

Speaking of Girl Scout cookies, a local car buddy helps organize the Cars & Coffee events and he sells homes specifically catering to car people. His daughter sets up a booth at the events, its like shooting fish in a barrel. Most of the time, he just mentions casually that it is time to order and they reach out to them ahead of time. Oh and he's big into the local Star Wars scene so they will dress up as Storm Troopers (she dresses as an Ewok) and they'll walk in parades and do special events with their "Garrison" and needless to say, there are more than a few who buy from them there.

I'd hate to try and compete against her for sales.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/7/17 5:17 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: Every once in awhile people do it right.

Even Juggaloos.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/13/17 7:29 a.m.

Wife and I had just boarded a long-haul flight when a young couple came and sat in the same row as us with their young child. After they got settled in, they passed out ziplock baggies with candy, ear plugs, and a small note apologizing in advance if the baby cried (it never did). We were beyond impressed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hps6uxCYNYdcTT5vzPTiW1fZ2SsuseDTI6m0qrLhqMVz8taHzwq0iT91BAmJBcuP