1 2
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/08 7:17 a.m.

So in general I have been reducing calories and watching what I eat in a weak attempt to return to a previous level of fitness... You know how it works.

This morning I was running late and knew I needed to grab something to eat so I stopped into the break room and punched F2 for one of those danishes everyone eats... A little snack couldn't hurt right? After I scarf it down I read nutrition facts:

Calories 430 - not terrible Fat calories 160 - yikes Total fat 18g / 27% - Ummmm Saturated fat 9g / 43% - that's not good Cholesterol 10mg / 3% - is YOUR left arm tingling? Mine is Sodium 370mg / 15% - that is one sweet salt lick Total Carbs 63g / 21% - I thought I was more of an injection guy Dietary fiber 1g / 5% - I am still reeling from the saturated fat to care Sugars 36g...

My chest hurts.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/8/08 7:28 a.m.

You should have just shaped that thing into a knife blade and plunged it directly into your heart.

My desk is right next to the munchie machine and I watch people hit that thing all day, sometiimes the same person 3-4 times. Some of these same people are right on the edge of diabetic and they wonder why they feel like crap all the time.

Of course I have my vices: cold beer, Jelly Bellies and chips n' salsa. Sometimes all at the same time.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/8/08 8:22 a.m.

umm long as you don't eat this death log you're ok, I guess

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/28/news/midcaps/burgerking_breakfast/index.htm

BK said:730 calories and 47 grams fat

Thats almost 1,000 calories with hashbrowns, not to mention the XL coke that everybody will buy!

John Brown
8/8/08 8:33 a.m.

search for Baconator.

51g, 840 calories, KrustyBurger sells them as "The Clogger"

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/8/08 8:33 a.m.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a magic bullet of food or drink that could undo that danish-bomb?

There's not...though. Even though that's what society expects.

You'll be alright, though, JohnBrown.

I think it's the beer that's doing me in. I'm switching to Gin!

Clem

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
8/8/08 8:48 a.m.

Nothing like home cooking for one's health: Twinkie misu

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/8/08 9:06 a.m.

http://www.fatcalories.com/results/rs_allthefacts.cfm?RestAll=%25&SortOrder=FatCal&CatSearch=%25&SortAD=DESC&Submit=Search

DQ FTW!... 800 + fat cals 4,000+ mg of sodium... 1300+ cals..

all for 4 pcs of chicken?!

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/8/08 9:38 a.m.

i would imagine that some types of salsa are actualy pretty healthy. Chips... meh, mexican restraunt style corn chips cant be that bad.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/8/08 9:39 a.m.

I've been down that road... starving at work so you get what looks really good at the time - "Texas Cinnamon Bun". Those things make me feel like poo all day. Now I stick to the nature valley granola bars from the work vending machine. I think I'm the only one who buys them, but they're way better in the long run.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/8/08 9:57 a.m.

Normally my 'breakfast' is three cups of coffee and two of those fruit and grain bars. Some sort of sandwich for lunch, very rarely a hamburger etc. Dinner varies, pizza, steaks, spaghetti, you name it (except fish is very rarely on the menu).

I made a mistake one morning: did my usual and felt fine. Then someone brought in a big box of those donuts with goop in them. I ate one, got a mild sugar buzz. Then these two chicks showed up wearing short shorts and handing out cans of Red Bull. I drank one. Man, they almost had to pry me off the ceiling. Then I just damn near collapsed. Since then I avoid all that E36 M3 like the plague.

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
8/8/08 10:02 a.m.

http://www.menshealth.com/20worst/worstfood.html

This is a good read. I'm guilty of eating one of those 2700 calorie Chili's awesome blossoms all to myself before. I got pretty sick afterwards... Now I know why.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/08 10:55 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: I ate one, got a mild sugar buzz. Then these two chicks showed up wearing short shorts and handing out cans of Red Bull. I drank one. Man, they almost had to pry me off the ceiling.

Well, at least they didn't have to pry you off the Redbull chicks!

seann
seann Reader
8/8/08 11:11 a.m.

The Sparks girls showed up at my local bar once, among the things I broke that night: a karaoke monitor, and my wrist.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/8/08 11:19 a.m.

The worst are some of those "appetizers" you see in restaurant/bars. One of my favorites up north serves this tater tots-on quesadilla-with all the trimmings type thing, and it tastes awesome.

Until I read the nutritional info, that is.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/08 12:11 p.m.

this is why bulimia is perfect. i can eat whatever i want and if i feel remorseful 5 minutes later, out it comes! never mind the rotting esophagus and teeth.

(i don't have bulimia, but since i have been eating healthy so long my body pretty much rejects any bad stuff i put in)

all it takes is one look at the nutrition info on that vending machine goodness to scare the crap out of you. preferably before you shove it down your throat - all those preservatives are awful. if it has stuff on the ingredients list that i can't pronounce, then i don't need to be eating it.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
8/8/08 12:14 p.m.

Hey Guys,

Run 30 miles a week and eat whatever you want (Tommy, go out for your high school Cross-Country team. You're thin now but the discipline you'll learn will help when you're older.). Just stay away from trans fats. They raise your bad cholesterol while simultaneously lowering your good cholesterol. Trans fats can take you from 0 to heart disease faster than a Nelson Family challenge entry runs the quarter.

Start with a doable amount, then increase mileage and speed as your body adapts. You'll see a profound change by the end of the second month (four weeks for teenagers). After that, it's easier to improve or stay in shape than it is to quit and start the process again so there's impetus to continue. Think of it as mods for the bod. I eat what I want and my weight is still going down.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/8/08 12:22 p.m.

2 words..

chipotle diet

im glad that i dont have one nearby anymore in a sense, ive been noticing that i cant eat whatever i want without getting a gut anymore.

that said, i got on the scale the other day and weighed 145lbs... and im 6'2"!

maybe i need to care what i eat less...

John Brown
8/8/08 12:43 p.m.

Piss off. I am almost two of you.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/8/08 12:43 p.m.

I was once 143 lbs, and on death's door. Trust me, they were pumping all of the lipids and other stuff into me that my veins would take. Though I must admit that it's funny seeing my health care professionals and having them happy that I'm fat now...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/8/08 12:58 p.m.

I've pushed 6+K calorie/day diets down people's noses while they lay in bed all day and still had them lose weight. It's tough. I've also prescribed beer to try to get some weight on them. The pharmacy sent up Lite Beer. Go figger.

I used to like to have a can of biscuits and a package of gravy for breakfast. Then I looked on the labels and added up the calories .

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/8/08 1:11 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
Jensenman wrote: I ate one, got a mild sugar buzz. Then these two chicks showed up wearing short shorts and handing out cans of Red Bull. I drank one. Man, they almost had to pry me off the ceiling.
Well, at least they didn't have to pry you off the Redbull chicks!

Yeah, they ran too fast.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/8/08 1:15 p.m.

Interesting stuff on fast food "kid's meals:"

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=6306460

One KFC kids meal (I'm guessing it's "sides dependant") weighed in @ 980 calories!!!

The wife and I have all but sworn off fast food, we grill 90% of our food, go out to dinner once every couple of months or so, ditched the sugar in our coffee, and exercise 3 times a week...but you wouldn't know it by looking at me. I guess I have really horrible metabolism...or a stomach full of worms or something.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
8/8/08 1:45 p.m.

I usually eat quite literally 5000 calories + a day.

I'm 5'9", weigh about 140 on a good day, and if i just sit around and eat? I lose weight. I have to stay active and keep it on as muscle. Fat will not stay on my body.

Sounds cool.... isn't.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/08 12:27 a.m.

Mmmm Bacon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26092641

Bacon makes everything better, even... chocolate? It sounds so wrong — but for some, these ingredients just taste so right At Marini's candy shop at the Boardwalk amusement park in Santa Cruz, Calif., chocolate-coated bacon was a complete accident. “It was kind of a joke to begin with," said the owner, Joseph Marini III.

Here are three little words that might give the staunchest snacker pause: Chocolate-covered bacon.

It sounds so wrong. But it tastes just right, says Joseph Marini III, a fourth-generation candy maker who is selling the bacon bonbons at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk seaside amusement park.

“It's not just for breakfast any more,” he says with a grin.

and this isn't just a wacky West Coast thing.

This year, Famous Dave's at the Minnesota State Fair is rolling out Pig Lickers — dark chocolate-covered bacon pieces sprinkled with sea salt.

“It's just like the most bizarre combination,” says fair spokeswoman Brienna Schuette. “I actually really liked it. It was a good combination of sweet and salty.”

The urge to create new flavor profiles is a natural for a field driven by creativity, says Karen Page, co-author with Andrew Dornenburg of the forthcoming "The Flavor Bible," a sort of field guide to flavor pairings.

Chefs have two basic agents of change: using a different cooking method or mixing up flavors. So a classic such as tomatoes and basil might get turned into tomato sorbet with a basil sauce. Or you might find unorthodox couplings, such as salads of watermelon and feta or cotton candy with foie gras.

“There's a whole trend toward chefs pushing the boundaries,” says Page. “Chefs are trying to be more playful and incorporate new kinds of whimsy.”

It's hard to tell exactly where the dream of candy-coated breakfast meats started, but for Marini, the inspiration was a trip with some ski buddies a while back.

“One guy came up with, 'Who doesn't love bacon? Who doesn't love chocolate? Let's marry them together.'”

“It was kind of a joke to begin with,” he says. “We brought it down to the boardwalk and put it in a case just to see if people would react, and they reacted.”

Take boardwalk visitor Nathan Lopez, who on a recent foggy morning had a quizzical look on his face as he began eating a sample at Marini's at the Beach. But he finished with a smile.

“Interesting combination,” was the verdict. “I didn't think it would be very good but once I tried it; it was good.”

Of course, chocolate-coated bacon is just the latest incarnation of the wackier-the-better fair food philosophy.

Fair food has been shaking up the snack scene for some time, says Ron Whiting, of Whiting's Foods, whose family has been selling food at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for decades.

“Years ago, I think food tended to be more traditional and less fun,” he says. Then came the corn dog and the era of quick and on-a-stick. “We all talk about the next corn dog,” he says.

Fry, fry again is a persistent theme. Current popular snacks include deep-fried Twinkies and Oreos.

Page, who admits to eating "more than my fair share of fried dough," notes that gourmet chefs have taken to putting food — just about any food — on a stick, coming up with some posh Popsicles. Meanwhile, there's the foie gras-cotton candy matchup, not a stretch flavor-wise since foie gras usually is paired with something sweet, but certainly visually arresting.

“It's the melding of both these worlds, the high end and the low end,” said Page.

Never underestimate the appeal of battered-is-better.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6A9w2JdVk0Mi9bQsAMmh3ayMyrjWkzf8SVf9TUdX1ToffenpK3DUSCpRmeBxyCvb