Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/14/18 9:10 a.m.

For our $500 car rally to the Grand canyon and back the first week of June. One of the challenges is get a picture of a video with a total stranger shutting off some projectile fireworks. Roman candles or bottle rockets and such. The problem is sure to the unique way the law in Texas is it's illegal to sell fireworks prior to July, I think. 

Does anyone live in, or know if we can buy fireworks in Arizona or New Mexico in early June?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/18 10:13 a.m.

I may have a friend who is in the business of selling fireworks. I can put you in touch if you like. He's here in IL though so he may not know much about the laws in the southwest.

Can you just order online?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 10:33 a.m.

I thought fireworks were unlawful in all of Illinois. Or is that just for us uptight wienies in the north?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/14/18 10:36 a.m.
Robbie said:

I may have a friend who is in the business of selling fireworks. I can put you in touch if you like. He's here in IL though so he may not know much about the laws in the southwest.

Oh, yah!  I am sure there will be nooo problem shipping explosives!.....  surprise

Robbie
5/14/18 10:47 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I thought fireworks were unlawful in all of Illinois. Or is that just for us uptight wienies in the north?

He sells the commercial stuff. Like to baseball stadiums and the folks to run fourth of july shows. Not sparklers and snakes, though I'm sure he could get them.

Robbie
5/14/18 10:47 a.m.
aircooled said:
Robbie said:

Oh, yah!  I am sure there will be nooo problem shipping explosives!.....  surprise

They have to get here from China somehow....

Robbie
5/14/18 10:50 a.m.

Free shipping if you buy more that $1500. But looks like minimum shipping price is $150. So that makes buying a few roman candles painful.

https://www.fireworks.us/

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/14/18 11:10 a.m.

Ooh, looks like they allow the sale of fireworks from the Wednesday before the last Monday in May until midnight in the last Monday now in Texas for memorial day. Problem solved.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/14/18 11:55 a.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/14/18 6:19 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you were just added to a list.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/18 7:40 p.m.

I know a guy...

"You go to the the back of the McDonald's, you'll see a guy by the name of Angelo. He's missing three fingers and one eye. You say, 'Angelo, is your name Dominic?'

He'll say yes. You say, 'Where's Uncle Nick?' He'll point you in my direction. You come over here, bang on the door, you say stick, the other guy says fish, they let you in, okay?"

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/18 8:35 p.m.

I have Roman Candles now, can I just take a video of me shooting them off? 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/14/18 8:52 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

We have to be in the pics as well. That's really the only kinda hard one. The other four challenges are just to get a picture at various places along the route. Some are out of the way so that is where the strategy comes in. Also there will be a surprise challenge that's drawn out of a hat at the starting line so that's a wildcard.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/14/18 9:25 p.m.

I don't know about AZ or NM, but there is a great place on I-15 about 45 minutes north of Vegas that is on a reservation. They sell good stuff year round (Residents of CA, it is illegal to transport fireworks across state line. Cameras are in use and your vehicle info will be sent to law enforcement). May be something like that on your route or close to it.....

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
5/15/18 9:20 a.m.

Mind the local burn bans. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/18 10:32 a.m.
slantvaliant said:

Mind the local burn bans. 

Ooh, good point!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/15/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

I can see the headlines now

OFFICIALS HAVE TRACED THE SOURCE OF THE WILDFIRES THAT HAVE DESTROYED THE MAJORITY OF THE SOUTHWEST UNTIED STATES TO A BUNCH OF IDIOTS DRIVING $500 CARS TO THE GRAND CANYON.

​​​​​I sincerely hope everyone uses common sense and pays attention to burn bans.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RnQ5wrXS1FwqmqsruQXFDBUeaOIf6Mt6hqzzvAQT7e1Bi9qMG9cPgD17npGFNhh