1 2
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/19 8:57 a.m.

Live traps, poison, or flashlight on a rifle?

Nobody around here gives a berkeley about "official" seasons, no one around here will care about a few gun shots after dark. If possible, I want to keep the pelt(s) though. 

Without sacrificing anymore chickens, what makes good fox bait?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/19 9:00 a.m.

I heard chickens made good fox bait. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/19 9:05 a.m.

This thread has a disappointing lack of Mustang content.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/19 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I agree, I was expecting a gaggle of Fox bodies.

RevRico
8/1/19 9:14 a.m.

hahaha, you guys are funny. Can I borrow your dogs or cats for the weekend?

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/1/19 9:20 a.m.

You have a solution to a chicken problem as far as I can tell.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/1/19 9:56 a.m.

What you need is a hunt club.  A number of folks with horses and dogs who will pursue the fox until he tires and then dispatch him.  Jolly good sport, really.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/19 10:06 a.m.

Leave the fox alone?

If it's trying to get your chickens, just secure the birds well?

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/1/19 10:18 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Leave the fox alone?

Kinda this, yeah. He's also keeping other vermin in check - rats, mice, etc. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/1/19 10:33 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Leave the fox alone?

Normally I just shoot pest animals but in this case I'd have to agree. They're also good at keeping rabbits, groundhogs, and mice in the area down without the horrible damage feral cats inflict on the environment. Plus they're generally shy animals.

I'd see about securing the chickens a bit better. If you dig down 6 or so inches and put chicken wire down it dissuades most animals from digging under fences. I suspect you could also put in some motion lights.

RevRico
8/1/19 10:38 a.m.

Yea, no. Live and let live went out the window when I woke up to 5 dead and one wounded chicken this morning. Now it's time to eliminate the foxes entire family. 

Maybe it's a joke to some of you, if so, I hope you don't lose those furry football's your wives have convinced you are dogs to predators, but if and when you do, you'll understand. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/1/19 10:40 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Are you sure it isn't raccoons? They're berkeleying shiny happy people that will kill and maim chickens like a cat does song birds.

My parents had the same issue until we trapped whatever was causing it. Turned out to be a pair of raccoons.

Those you can trap with stale donuts pretty easily.

I only ask because a fox doesn't generally kill things for E36 M3s and giggles. They'll carry off nearly anything that they do get.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/19 10:41 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm going to say this, and then I'm going to leave this thread.

Don't do a better job killing foxes, do a better job protecting your chickens.

The foxes are just doing what foxes do.  You are the one creating the issue.  With that said, carry on as you will.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/19 10:45 a.m.

We had foxes until we got coyotes.  

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/1/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

No, it's not a joke to me. Foxes are a beneficial predator to have around. 

And if one would have snatched the ex's furry footballs, I wouldn't have lost any sleep. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/1/19 11:06 a.m.
RevRico said:

Yea, no. Live and let live went out the window when I woke up to 5 dead and one wounded chicken this morning.

Were they secured? 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/19 11:17 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

I agree, I was expecting a gaggle of Fox bodies.

I expect a gaggle of fox bodies after hearing about what happened to the chickens angry

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/1/19 11:22 a.m.

PM foxtrapper?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/1/19 11:36 a.m.

I am certainly not going to try to convince you not to take out every fox in the general area in a fusillade of lead.  I fully support your right to do so.  But as a fellow chicken keeper, I would agree that it may very well be more effective to try to prevent predator access than to be so vigilant as to prevent a future attack.

I have a fairly secure large fenced pen containing a coop that can be sealed up at night.  Even so, on a couple different occasions, I had an unidentified predator gain access to the pen through an inconceivably small crevice and kill several birds on nights I had neglected to close the coop door.  I know the feeling of seeing a couple of birds you've raised from chicks laying on the ground, torn apart, dead.  Not a good feeling.

For me, the solution was to beef up the perimeter by sealing up a couple weak spots, and most importantly NEVER failing to secure the coop after dark.

In order to catch the villain in the act, you would need an all-night stake-out.  The fox will likely detect your presence and dine on a different night.  It's just not practical.  If you furnish food (i.e. leave chickens unprotected), a predator will seek you out.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/1/19 11:54 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I am certainly not going to try to convince you not to take out every fox in the general area in a fusillade of lead.  I fully support your right to do so.  But as a fellow chicken keeper, I would agree that it may very well be more effective to try to prevent predator access than to be so vigilant as to prevent a future attack.

I have a fairly secure large fenced pen containing a coop that can be sealed up at night.  Even so, on a couple different occasions, I had an unidentified predator gain access to the pen through an inconceivably small crevice and kill several birds on nights I had neglected to close the coop door.  I know the feeling of seeing a couple of birds you've raised from chicks laying on the ground, torn apart, dead.  Not a good feeling.

For me, the solution was to beef up the perimeter by sealing up a couple weak spots, and most importantly NEVER failing to secure the coop after dark.

In order to catch the villain in the act, you would need an all-night stake-out.  The fox will likely detect your presence and dine on a different night.  It's just not practical.  If you furnish food (i.e. leave chickens unprotected), a predator will seek you out.

This is what I have understood from my brother who keeps chickens. You're not going to remove all the predators, it simply won't happen, so you'd be much better off securing the chickens at night. 

Rev, didn't you say that they hadn't been sleeping in the chicken coop? Maybe its time to start putting them to bed at night.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/1/19 12:01 p.m.
Wally said:

We had foxes until we got coyotes.  

You’ll need a wolf or cougar to take care of the coyotes.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/1/19 12:55 p.m.

I’ll second that it may be raccoons.  Either way, good luck to you.

Could use more foxes around my area.  The coyotes have done in most of the feral cats, so the squirrel and rabbit population has exploded.  I’m sure the coyotes get some of them, too, but not as many as the cats did.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/1/19 1:06 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I’ll second that it may be raccoons.  Either way, good luck to you.

Could use more foxes around my area.  The coyotes have done in most of the feral cats, so the squirrel and rabbit population has exploded.  I’m sure the coyotes get some of them, too, but not as many as the cats did.

One of my favorite memories of the house I grew up in was when I was about 8 years old and looked out the window while eating breakfast. Coyote was there, devoured a squirrel, tail and all. Ran off, came back about 5 minutes later to look for scraps. He threw up the tail while looking for scraps. Really cool for an 8 year old to watch. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/19 1:09 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

In reply to RevRico :

No, it's not a joke to me. Foxes are a beneficial predator to have around. 

This is kind of my position. Can you borrow a game camera to put up near the coop to make certain you've got the right critter?

If you do want to eliminate them, it's probably a good idea to consult the game laws regarding foxes attacking livestock. You may be able to borrow some trapping equipment.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/1/19 2:00 p.m.

I'll also say this doesn't sound like fox behavior. You would find one bird missing not several killed and maimed. You are free to go on any rampage you like, but you're probably barking up the wrong tree going after foxes. Your energy is better spent on preventing the predators from gaining access to the chickens.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X72oE25vTPNvKMVOL3rMAskTUJJNUSwydkoihbs3Kk235bZh4iY15mYn7Eeoq7LJ