1 2 3
slefain
slefain UltraDork
7/15/13 3:14 p.m.

And it was frick'n awesome. Thanks to our local movie tavern my wife and I could enjoy a few refreshing beverages while we watched the film. It was better than I thought it would be and I think it was funnier than the first one.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/15/13 3:17 p.m.

Movie tavern? What is this movie tavern you speak of?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/13 3:21 p.m.

Movie theater set up as a bar.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/15/13 3:21 p.m.

Great movie, yes. Funnier than the first one? Pushing it. Ok there Mr. Sheepsbutt?

Its' Ramsbottom.

Yeah, That's so much better.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/13 3:23 p.m.

This is our local one.

http://cinebarre.com/

Best part, no kids.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/13 3:29 p.m.

Saw it at the local Movie Tavern with the GF last week. Laughed myself out of breath at the aftermath of Gru's date, and the GF now wants to dress up as a crazed Minion for Halloween this year. Not sure it was better than the first, but it was definitely a lot of fun.

stroker
stroker Dork
7/15/13 4:08 p.m.

The Purple Minion will be easier to do at Halloween.

It was better than I expected but not as inventive as the first.

One more thing: The USA Today reviewer claims to have seen "up to the line" of racism in the resistance of Gru to the daughter dating the Hispanic kid. I walked out of the theater thinking "WTF????" Did any of you see that?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/15/13 4:08 p.m.

My friends and I went close to opening night. Besides being swamped with womb goblins, it was hilariously entertaining, I don't think I've enjoyed a "comedic" movie that much for a long time.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
7/15/13 4:12 p.m.

These Movie Taverns sound magical.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/13 4:12 p.m.

I took my daughter (7) to see it shortly after it opened, she loved it. Not as good as the original, IMHO, but they did a much better job with a sequel than many movies manage.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/15/13 4:15 p.m.
stroker wrote: One more thing: The USA Today reviewer claims to have seen "up to the line" of racism in the resistance of Gru to the daughter dating the Hispanic kid. I walked out of the theater thinking "WTF????" Did any of you see that?

I can see why they said that (I don't agree but I see where he made the stretch), but he made it abundantly clear, it was because he was a boy interested in his daughter and he would use any means necessary to stop the interest.

Knock Knock, Who's there? Serious Talk, Serious Talk who? Enough serious talk, there is a Martin/Zimmerman thread for that.

I am glad I have boys.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/15/13 4:18 p.m.
Grizz wrote: These Movie Taverns sound magical.

My nephew and his wife drive an hour each way, past several other cinemas, to get to one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/15/13 6:01 p.m.

Saw it about a week ago with the Missus and the kids. Good fun!

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
7/15/13 6:37 p.m.

Loved it!!!!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
7/15/13 7:34 p.m.

I liked it much, much better than DM1 because of the lack of Vector. I also have a teen daughter, so I empathize with Gru about the daughter dating thing. I need a freeze ray! It was a heck of a sequel, that's for sure.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/15/13 8:13 p.m.

Unhappy that the lady spy mentioned jiujitsu in her hybrid martial art explaination.
And yes, that is the inaccuracy that bothered me in this movie.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/13 8:44 p.m.

Great movie, I really liked it.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
7/15/13 8:52 p.m.

OK, you guys talked me into it. Except for all the kids in the movie theater it was great.

The surfacing of the fabrics, metals, woods, walls, floors, everything except the characters was awesome! The waters & miscellaneous "minor" features looked real and really helped.

I preferred Gru as a bad guy, or at least I preferred all his old gadgets, but then again this is Disney, French Disney, but Disney nonetheless so a softer story line is to be expected.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
7/15/13 8:58 p.m.

I saw it with the kids. They had seen the first but I haven't. They laughed a lot. Great family flick.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/15/13 10:17 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: This is our local one. http://cinebarre.com/ Best part, no kids.

I must find one of these in SE PA... then maybe find a date to go with...

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/16/13 12:23 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: I preferred Gru as a bad guy, or at least I preferred all his old gadgets, but then again this is Disney, French Disney, but Disney nonetheless so a softer story line is to be expected.

Nope, not at all. DreamWorks Animation is its own studio. Live action DreamWorks (another company) distributes under a Disney-owned company, but not through Disney.

Notice how the Despicable Me stuff is all over at the Universal parks and not the Disney parks? If Disney had the rights to it, don't you think they'd be selling minions all over Epcot?

See: https://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Universal-Studios-Florida/Despicable-Me-Minion-Mayhem.aspx

For what it's worth, I haven't seen the movie, nor have I cared to sit down and watch the first. Now that DreamWorks Animation is catching up to Pixar from 10 year ago, I might be able to sit through a DWA movie without pointing out that Toy Story looked better, and it was made 19 years ago.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
7/16/13 12:26 a.m.

just saw the first one tonight with the kids... if the new one is 1/2 as good Ill be psyched... :)

Ashyukun
7/16/13 9:36 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
stroker wrote: One more thing: The USA Today reviewer claims to have seen "up to the line" of racism in the resistance of Gru to the daughter dating the Hispanic kid. I walked out of the theater thinking "WTF????" Did any of you see that?
I can see why they said that (I don't agree but I see where he made the stretch), but he made it abundantly clear, it was because he was a boy interested in his daughter and he would use any means necessary to stop the interest.

Yeah- it was pretty clear that it didn't matter the ethnicity of the boy, just that it was -A- boy... the one in question just happened to be (ostensibly) Hispanic. And a total player as it were, like his father. She could have been making googly eyes over the palest, white-bread, glasses-wearing nerd in school and Gru would still have been going after him with a Freeze Ray. Some people will look for a reason to be offended anywhere- surprised that the reviewer didn't ALSO claim racism for the bad guy (and the false-flag one) being a near complete ethnic stereotype.

Ashyukun
7/16/13 9:38 a.m.
stroker wrote: The Purple Minion will be easier to do at Halloween.

Yeah, that's the plan (at the moment, she'll likely change her mind several times before actually deciding for certain :P)- since she's got much longer hair, she figures she'll dress up as a Purple Minion and wants me to dress up as a normal one so she can chase me around.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
7/16/13 10:05 a.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MobHKugxjxpTIX96fNR3PKDfXMthbzuEZswKGAiKvI4VOOx5DPl8UTs5bj4pJfed