JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/13/13 10:44 a.m.

....the recreational possibilities are limitless
http://io9.com/5971380/geese-will-tremble-before-the-might-of-the-goosinator

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/13/13 10:53 a.m.

All it is is a float plane with no wings..... how is that 3000$? I feel like I should call my RC buddy and bulk order parts and undercut these fools.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/13/13 12:22 p.m.

rodenator is much more fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/13 12:29 p.m.
mndsm wrote: All it is is a float plane with no wings..... how is that 3000$? I feel like I should call my RC buddy and bulk order parts and undercut these fools.

Yep there are plenty of opportunities to undercut "commercial" RC vendors. Some company sells an ornithopter that looks like an eagle for well into the 5 digits (for scaring birds away from airports), you can pick up something near-indentical in an RTF kit for $500.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/13/13 1:18 p.m.

Gak! I didn't see the price. Yes, any of us could do that cheaper, and no, I won't pay challenge money for a spiffy paint job. I still think an RC goose annoyer is a lovely idea.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/13 1:39 p.m.

I need to come up with a scam like that! It's maybe $250 in parts, rc gear and foam.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
3/13/13 3:22 p.m.

Damn businesses trying to make money! It's like those car manufacturers trying to charge $20k when the scrap value is only $400!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/13/13 3:30 p.m.

Well, think of it this way, the $3000 toy will pay itself off quickly, and somebody operating a park doesn't have the time to learn electrical engineering and/or scratchbuilt RC aircraft.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/13/13 3:32 p.m.

Can you shoot paintballs at animals if they're not wearing eye protection?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/13/13 3:40 p.m.

They need some ratties.

Not only will there be no more geese, there will be no mice, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, voles, groundhogs, foxes, coyotes, skunks, possums or anything else that looks like fun to harass then kill. Except humans. They loooove humans. And digging. And hooting at bears and deer. And rolling in poo.

They will also chew the E36 M3 out of Goosinators.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/13 3:40 p.m.

How about a goose season. Dead geese don't come back.

Hell, I live in Goose Creek and have never noticed them to be a problem. Must be a northern thing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
3/13/13 3:43 p.m.

Geese are a problem? Who knew? They fly north, they fly south. What's the problem?

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
3/13/13 6:56 p.m.

Geese have figured out that some areas are conducive to them living in year round. We have goose populations here in Columbus, OH that do NOT fly north or south. They just hang around pooping everywhere and harassing people. Might seem okay if it's one or two but when you have a hundred geese crapping up the place and hissing at kids and refusing to get out of the street it can be a pain. I about piled into the back of a car on my motorcycle because they panic stopped for a goose in the street. I don't stop. I haven't hit one yet - they usually figure it out - but the ones I've seen road killed have been pretty satisfying to me.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/13/13 7:03 p.m.

Geese are mean as berkeley. I been chased by em before. But yeah, the RC thing... I have no problem with people making money, but why nearly a 1000% price hike? Come on... even if it was 1000$, that's 400% profit...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/13/13 7:06 p.m.

True story...

I was golfing back when I was young and impressionable, with the sort of people who do that thing.

I was not what most people call "accomplished" at the game so PETA types may rest assured that I wasn't really aiming for the goose but one was killed by my shot nonetheless. For a second I was all "Holy berkeley! Did you guys see that?".

Then all the other geese came and encircled it, stood there for a minute quietly, turned, looked over at us and went back to whatever secret plans they were plotting before the funeral interrupted them. Creepy.

So... moral of the story... kill all of them or none. The ones that are left are keeping score. We don't want an airborne "dolphin" situation.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
3/13/13 7:15 p.m.

as RC things go i'd still prefer my own Orvillecopter

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/13/13 7:26 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote: as RC things go i'd still prefer my own Orvillecopter

I forgot about Orville copter. GOTDAYUM that E36 M3 is funny.

viking
viking New Reader
3/13/13 7:36 p.m.

What kind of foam are they using???

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/13/13 9:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
WilberM3 wrote: as RC things go i'd still prefer my own Orvillecopter
I forgot about Orville copter. GOTDAYUM that E36 M3 is funny.

I believe that this is why quadrotors were invented.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/13/13 9:27 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

There's only so many people in the world with a geese problem, most of them will happily pay $3000 for a promised easy to operate, near maintenance free, permanent solution.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/13/13 9:33 p.m.

$3k for ready to go, Vs. $1k a week on other methods.

Besides, the mark up on that thing is less than Monster Cables.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
3/14/13 8:13 a.m.
bgkast wrote: I need to come up with a scam like that! It's maybe $250 in parts, rc gear and foam.

more like 50-75

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/14/13 8:30 a.m.

I used to work for the Michigan DNR rounding up geese and banding them to prove that they had full resident status and therby justifying longer more liberal goose seasons. It was a fun job.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/14/13 8:36 a.m.

Wow, I had no idea there was so much goose hate in the world. Shrug, haters gonna hate. I like the big feather berkeleyers.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
3/14/13 8:51 a.m.

I love geese, they are delicious. They should have hunting season for them. If they put a few decoys out and had some hunters show up occasionally the geese would never be seen there again. That is my experience with goose hunting.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkmXAFubHwtEZYNx7q26UlBN9o6M7OjIfIKPXYbbB17JZZV87SQKbE3QLkIkFcAI