02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/13/21 7:58 p.m.

In my wanderings through the woods, I occasionally run across abandoned stuff. Most of it is pretty innocuous, but once in a while there's something worth investigating. Today's discovery was of the latter sort. I came across the abandoned remains of a small ski area, the most notable part of which was the shed that ran the tow rope. It was largely intact, but probably abandoned for the better part of the last fifty years or so.

Within the not-so-spacious confines of the shed was the workings of the tow rope mechanism, powered by an old inline six hooked to a (manual?) transmission and a bunch of gears.

It seemed to have been pulled directly from a vehicle - in addition to the Stewart-Warner gauges, there was a dome light mounted to the ceiling (see switch below).

So what is it? I'm guessing GM based on a marking I saw on the transmission, but I couldn't find anything on the engine.

I recognise the valve cover but l dont remember what it was on.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
1/13/21 8:22 p.m.

The valve cover makes it look like a Chevy Blue Flame.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/21 8:22 p.m.

It looks like a Chevy valve cover

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/21 8:27 p.m.

Beat me to it by 5

Chevy 216 I6 maybe.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/21 8:29 p.m.
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/13/21 9:03 p.m.

Chevy Stovebolt, 216 is correct.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/21 9:09 p.m.

I was was going to ask if you tried to turn it over by hand, but with the air cleaner and  oil cap missing, I'm guessing it's locked up. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/13/21 11:13 p.m.

Looking closer at the pics:

It's out of a car.

A truck bellhousing has bosses to mount the foot starter linkage.

It's early 50s or late 40s, the transmission is set up for an enclosed driveshaft. I had a '48 Chev that was the same way.

Too early for a 235 and the 194 would have a smooth valve cover.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/14/21 6:07 a.m.

Looks like the mystery is solved. I didn't try to turn it over, but in spite of the missing parts it might move with some persuasion, given that it's in an enclosed building (mostly). If I get back up there I'll get a photo of the dome light on the ceiling - maybe that will help narrow down the model it came out of.

Thanks, folks.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/14/21 7:39 a.m.

Bring a jump pack and some starting fluid!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4qEIrt0953dcPsOLmJdVqGXNsOUQvHWNWbhRnD2RyBImwzHXtmNVjX93KhI2Qlws