1 2
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/19/19 1:37 p.m.

this.  but also not the first for a challenge.  unless the minivan class failed to launch?

the video is in French with subtitles.  Sorry it's the only one I could find without Eurotrash techno music.  C'mon Europe get over that E36 M3.

The driver is Jean Ragnotti who used to pilot R5 Turbo2s in rally.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/19/19 3:21 p.m.

Hardest part with this project always has been and always will be finding a transmission on a McBudget that will work for a longitudinal/mid application that will take the 300+ HP and sticky tires required to be competitive at The Challenge.   Such is the bane of all these ideas.

Transverse stuff that makes/takes good power is too wide, weight is asymmetric and looks ugly but you can get a trans to take the power since it would be a regular stout FWD trans moved to midship.  

Longitudinal stuff that makes/takes good power costs real money since it is all P-Car, big money Audi, or custom/.aftermarket.   Anything like V8/conventional trans/conventional diff is too long to fit in anything but a van or MAYBE a full size wagon with a stretched out wheelbase.  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/19/19 3:28 p.m.

Toyota E153 transmission out of a 1MZ-FE V6 manual Camry from 1996-1999. You could also run a S54 manual trans from 1990-1999 transverse manuals as well if you're feeling lucky.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/19/19 6:12 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Toyota E153 transmission out of a 1MZ-FE V6 manual Camry from 1996-1999. You could also run a S54 manual trans from 1990-1999 transverse manuals as well if you're feeling lucky.

This is math I am familiar with. You present an sound argument. Now if I could figure out how to stuff that in the ass end of my corolla wagon and make a take off back (because it's super cool) and we have a ballgame. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/19/19 6:45 p.m.

Audi

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/19/19 7:20 p.m.

Tube chassis + GM LS4 engine and transmission + body shell of your choice. You'd be starting at a lazy 300 HP with lots of possibilities to substantially increase it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/19 7:27 p.m.

Or a Bonneville SSe engine and trans. Those should be stupid cheap.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/19/19 7:32 p.m.
Mndsm said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

This is math I am familiar with. You present an sound argument. Now if I could figure out how to stuff that in the ass end of my corolla wagon and make a take off back (because it's super cool) and we have a ballgame. 

I'll bring the sawzall. On your own after that though.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/19/19 7:35 p.m.

SHO V8 with a duratec v6 manual transaxle in the back of the last gen Mercury Cougar.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/19/19 7:41 p.m.
RossD said:

SHO V8 with a duratec v6 manual transaxle in the back of the last gen Mercury Cougar.

Oh God, that snakepit intake manifold array....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/19/19 7:42 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Tube chassis + GM LS4 engine and transmission + body shell of your choice. You'd be starting at a lazy 300 HP with lots of possibilities to substantially increase it.

This was what I was thinking as well, but what gm shell? Malibu? G6?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/19 8:58 p.m.

Why limit yourself to a GM shell?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/20/19 7:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Why limit yourself to a GM shell?

First two that popped in my head that would look cool as a clamshell array. Though- Sterling whatever model those were and merkur are currently making strong plays. The merkur would be nuts with the sho v8....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XvCd1xR3OLhUpFHVaqnKFl7k4vlxgqJD2pVa1agboGCjitw7EPTmbvpRlKtfSndr