pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/5/17 9:00 p.m.

Thread from 2017:

My wife and I love Scandinavian style. Simple, understated, with a bit of natural wood accents thrown in. We visited a Copenhagen Imports store in Phoenix, which sells lots of European furniture, including IMG Norway, Stressless, Ekornes, etc chairs. I need some ideas and sources for high quality, contemporary "Euro-Style" recliner/rocker for under $800. Any thoughts?

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
9/5/17 9:21 p.m.

Design Within Reach (talk about a misnomer) has quite a few classic furniture designs from big-name designers throughout the 20th and 21st century.  $800 won't get you much more than a tabletop tchotchke, but if you search for the furniture you like in Craigslist for major metro areas, you may find used originals or new reproductions in your price range. 

I also recommend searching for Room and Board products.  I have had one of their cheaper couches (the Jasper) for a year and a half, and it has held up really well to the cat's claws.  I'm a big fan of a lot of their wooden products (tables/chairs/etc..), but they are not cheap.  I'm no carpenter, but the quality of construction quality appears to be really high, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up second-hand.  Most products are made in the USA.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/6/17 8:28 a.m.

poang chair and done!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/6/17 9:48 a.m.

Do you want a rocker, or a recliner? Or do you just want to put your feet up? In my experience a rocker/recliner combo looks like something out of Grandma's house--think Marty Cranes chair from Frasier.

I'd suggest looking for an eames-style chair.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/6/17 2:38 p.m.

We have a pair of these http://scandesigns.com/product/img-nordic-10-recliner/ , which are the most comfortable chairs I've encountered - a serious impediment to productivity! Bear in mind that the link is to a Canadian site, so you should be able to find them in the US cheaper. We paid $800 each for them 4 years ago on sale. When they recline, the back reclines and the seat moves forward, which works far better than the typical back-only recline.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
9/6/17 3:43 p.m.

The Ikea Poang chair is pretty nice, but I wish it had padded arms. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/6/17 8:43 p.m.

I love the Stressless line, but not enough to pay for it.  I know it is of a quality that will have it outlive me, but $4k for a discontinued couch, on clearance...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/17 9:16 a.m.

This doesn't meet your Scandinavian or recliner requirements, but it is one of the most comfortable rockers upon which I've ever taken a sit.

https://www.vermontfolkrocker.com/aboutrocker.php

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
9/7/17 10:05 a.m.

I just took delivery of one of these.

It is awesome. Took almost 3 months to get it-- apparently they are made in Vietnam.  Great chair, though.  I got all the bells and whistles (actually a present from the wife)-- battery powered!

I'm not a big guy, but I got the large version.  I sat in a Medium at a store and it would have fit, but without a lot of room to move around.  Even the large is not huge.  We have a fairly small living area and it fits in just fine.  Most recliners are enormous with huge arms and springs underneath, but this one is really compact.  

Bonus is that the motorized movement and sound scares the cats!!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/18/19 9:44 a.m.

In reply to thomasharden :

Canoe

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/18/19 9:51 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/18/19 9:56 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

poang chair and done!

IKEA Poangs are simple, handsome, comfortable, rock a little bit, and have a matching footstool to make them loungers.  They come in a variety of wood finishes and cloth or leather upholsteries.  Ours have been very durable, too.

For $800 you could probably get 3 of them in leather with matching footstools.

[edit] BOB DAMMIT

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/19 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I bought one of their recliners about 10 years ago.  It was pricey, but it's held up extremely well, and is the most comfortable piece of furniture I've ever owned.  I sit in it every, single day and don't regret spending the coin.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/18/19 11:24 a.m.

I'm sitting in a 45 year old Stressless right now.  You can find vintage ones very inexpensively, especially compared to new.  The leather is incredibly durable.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
2/18/19 11:49 a.m.

Modholic.com has leather Eames style chair and ottoman style on sale for under 750$.  I think they have flat $49 shipping

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/18/19 11:50 a.m.

Cooter, that table is awesome. 

Also, That 70's Show wants their set back.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/18/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

'60s.

And it is my side business-

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/9/19 5:28 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/22/19 6:07 a.m.

moar canoe-age

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/19 1:05 p.m.

Popular with canoeists...in which you CAN recline, just sayin'

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/22/19 3:11 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to mtn :

'60s.

And it is my side business-

I think you may have set it a little too close to the rails for a relaxing afternoon of trainspotting. :) Does look like there's some great finds on that page, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rpoQ5WeTNHVtIE8TXZwe7X642NVJqxRe8zWpagXOQaLcOhourbzMzMLKCtThPKjj