1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/12/12 1:19 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: What about if people just don't post political discussions in the first place?
Why don't people who don't want to participate in political threads, ahem, not participate?
Because when a thread about a news story that couldn't possibly be political at face value is posted... i might go in there to check it out. And then find that it's turned into an infuriating cesspool of bullE36 M3. So now i just stay out of the majority of off-topic threads. Seems stupid.
This.

Fair enough. But most political topics seem to be obviously labled that way.

I don't particularly care either way. Just find this whole hting quite amusing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/12/12 1:20 p.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/12/12 1:42 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury: Throw in some car pictures in the avatar's and you've pretty much covered our political discussions. Despite the fact that each discussion is both unique and crucially important, its almost like there's a pattern to it.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
9/12/12 1:43 p.m.

Gay slur.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/12/12 1:45 p.m.

Boss lady is big boss I listen.

I still think y'all need to see the tone of other off topic forums to see just how nice this one is at its alleged worst. You'll really appreciate the tone of the conversations here after that.

And I do salute the ongoing effort to keep this one polite. Thanks, guys and gals.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/12/12 2:00 p.m.

Y'all? What do you mean by that?

Sorry, floundering ......

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/12/12 2:02 p.m.

Well, this thread escalated quickly.

Our forum was approaching R3V's level of flounder. I'm more of a red meat kind of guy.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bar/3258209285.html

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/12/12 2:07 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Our forum was approaching R3V's level of flounder.

Hardly.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/12/12 2:08 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: In reply to 4cylndrfury: Throw in some car pictures in the avatar's and you've pretty much covered our political discussions. Despite the fact that each discussion is both unique and crucially important, its almost like there's a pattern to it.

That sucks that that's all you've gotten out of it. I've learned things from others here. I've changed some of my ideas based on some of the insightful discussions here. I've learned that my assumptions are often wrong about peoples backgrounds, motives, etc. Are the discussions all good? Nope. Some downright suck. But there's also some gems there.

If we've got people whose entire purpose is to E36 M3 in the punchbowl, yeah - get rid of them. But there is so much good that happens, that it's disappointing.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
9/12/12 2:09 p.m.

Really? Six pages, and no one caught the Monty Python reference?

93EXCivic wrote: I came in here for an argument.

No you didn't.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/12/12 2:15 p.m.

I don't participate in the political threads, but I do lurk in them from time to time and have learned some things like DILYSI Dave said. I'm not a fan of watering down the forum since it's already very tame and pretty well self policed for the most part (imho), but it's no big deal in the long run. If I actually wanted politics i could hit another forum.

I do have one question though....where in the hell was this policy when ignorant was a very active member? I mean damn....that would have been the time to do it...

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/12/12 2:16 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
No you didn't.

An argument isn't just contradiction.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/12 2:16 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: That sucks. I've learned things from others here. I've changed some of my ideas based on some of the insightful discussions here. I've learned that my assumptions are often wrong about peoples backgrounds, motives, etc. Are they all good? Nope. Some downright suck. But there's also some gems there.

Agreed.

This has been not infrequently the place where I find out what actual people who are not as similar to me as my personal social circle think about stuff.

There have been numerous occasions where I ended up discussing with people in real life what I'd read here. At one point I was back visiting my folks and reading family excerpts of discussions...

That being said, I recognize unreservedly the site owners', well, ownership of the site. And there's still certainly plenty to keep me hanging about.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
9/12/12 2:17 p.m.

Wow I left for lunch and come back to a new 6 page thread.

And I did have a sandwich

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/12/12 2:18 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Really? Six pages, and no one caught the Monty Python reference?
No you didn't.

Oh no, this is abuse. You want room 12A, Just along the corridor

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/12 2:24 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: That sucks that that's all you've gotten out of it. I've learned things from others here. I've changed some of my ideas based on some of the insightful discussions here. I've learned that my assumptions are often wrong about peoples backgrounds, motives, etc. Are the discussions all good? Nope. Some downright suck. But there's also some gems there. If we've got people whose entire purpose is to E36 M3 in the punchbowl, yeah - get rid of them. But there is so much good that happens, that it's disappointing.

I agree but with the upcoming election, it seems like it has been getting increasing nasty. I used to enjoy them but I was starting to get where I just wanted to stay the hell away.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
9/12/12 2:30 p.m.

In reply to dculberson and 4CF:

Thanks.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
9/12/12 2:33 p.m.

Even this thread is getting out of hand. Can we Jefferson, Watergate, Bork this?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/12 2:39 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Even this thread is getting out of hand. Can we Jefferson, Watergate, Bork this?

You filthy bugger!

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/12/12 2:40 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: That sucks that that's all you've gotten out of it. I've learned things from others here. I've changed some of my ideas based on some of the insightful discussions here. I've learned that my assumptions are often wrong about peoples backgrounds, motives, etc. Are the discussions all good? Nope. Some downright suck. But there's also some gems there. If we've got people whose entire purpose is to E36 M3 in the punchbowl, yeah - get rid of them. But there is so much good that happens, that it's disappointing.
I agree but with the upcoming election, it seems like it has been getting increasing nasty. I used to enjoy them but I was starting to get where I just wanted to stay the hell away.

Actually, that's not all I've gotten out of it. I've learned a thing or two and, even if I don't agree, gotten a better understanding of where other people are coming from. Most posters on here are well informed and can string together a coherent thought, which tends to be a breath of fresh air on the internet even if I don't agree with the direction they are headed. That said, you do increasingly have to wade through pages of incendiary crap and "I must have the last word" re-hashes to get to the really informative posts. Seems the management has decided its not worth it anymore.

EDIT: Yes, I realize its ironic/pitiful I felt compelled to respond to this thread again. I'm done. (Unless we return to sammiches)

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/12/12 2:40 p.m.
914Driver wrote: BTW, can you straighten me out on the whole blow up doll thing?

Them ain't blow up dolls........

YOU PEOPLE make my brain numb....

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
9/12/12 2:47 p.m.
ransom wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: That sucks. I've learned things from others here. I've changed some of my ideas based on some of the insightful discussions here. I've learned that my assumptions are often wrong about peoples backgrounds, motives, etc. Are they all good? Nope. Some downright suck. But there's also some gems there.
Agreed. This has been not infrequently the place where I find out what actual people who are not as similar to me as my personal social circle think about stuff. There have been numerous occasions where I ended up discussing with people in real life what I'd read here. At one point I was back visiting my folks and reading family excerpts of discussions... That being said, I recognize unreservedly the site owners', well, ownership of the site. And there's still certainly plenty to keep me hanging about.

I like the quote inside this quote and the quote itself. insert favorite Xzibit pic, cuz I'm too lazy

I didn't think it was that bad, but I am running from the ban hammer like cockroaches when the light comes on.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
9/12/12 2:50 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: EDIT: Yes, I realize its ironic/pitiful I felt compelled to respond to this thread again. I'm done. (Unless we return to sammiches)

Are you sure you want to come back... for any sandwich?

Great, now my chest is hurting just looking at that thing.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/12/12 2:51 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Wow I left for lunch and come back to a new 6 page thread. And I did have a sandwich

That looks amazing.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/12/12 2:56 p.m.
scardeal wrote:
carguy123 wrote: Wow I left for lunch and come back to a new 6 page thread. And I did have a sandwich
That looks amazing.

My mouth just watered but my heart just screamed.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
Cpy9JY4oqeIlvFgvm9nqzljI88aDvzYWf0ZSBC3ehodhEUfCqK0lYJABAEHvDnez