1 2
ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
6/21/10 11:26 p.m.

Came home this evening to a swarm of honeybees in my yard. They settled down after a while on a branch of the pear tree. Must be a few hundred of them. Perhaps refugees from the nearby glorybee honey plant?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I will admit that after last years fist fight and subsequent loss to an army of yellowjackets that this freaks me the hell out. But it is also fascinating. I do need them to find a new home though. I don't want any suprises when mowing the lawn and I don't want my dogs to get stung when they get interested.

Any ideas?

Some Eddie Izzard on the subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

xd
xd New Reader
6/21/10 11:43 p.m.

Fire.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/21/10 11:43 p.m.

Go smack it*

* for God's sake don't smack it

Jake
Jake HalfDork
6/21/10 11:59 p.m.

Honeybees are good things. Call somebody from the plant, chances are they'll come collect the colony and take them back to the mothership.

Yellowjackets, on the other hand, are not. I'm still gunshy about a couple patches in my yard where I ran over a big ol' hive last summer. That was no fun.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/22/10 1:31 a.m.

Wait for East Coast Mojo to weigh in. She raises those things in hives, and will know what to do.

I had a rental house that had a wall full of them (thru a little hole where a doorbell button had been), so I called the Dept. of Natural Resources, and they gave me the number of a beekeeper who would smoke them out and move the Queen to another area, but before I could get in touch with him, a neighbor had come by and laid waste to the hive with spray. He was afraid they would sting his children. Actually, they aren't interested in stinging people; they just want to find pollen.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/22/10 5:06 a.m.

Just a swarm, they'll move on in a bit.

You could be nice and let the local bee keepers group know about it so one of their members could come get it.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/22/10 6:46 a.m.

I want to keep bees. Keep them, so they don't get away. put them on long elastic strings, so they come back! -Eddie the Izzard.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/22/10 7:30 a.m.

Find a beekeeper and make a call.

At least its honeybees, I have a yearly fight with carpenter bees

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/10 7:53 a.m.

They have surely moved on by now, but you may wantto have a beekeeper's number handy for the next swarm. Swarms are not aggressive and they will only take up there temporarily until they find their new home or return to the hive. Most beekeepers will come and remove the swarm for free, although you have to act fast because they won't hang around long.

Thanks for not killing them!

(Did I use enough smileys there?)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
6/22/10 8:16 a.m.

Often when a hive gets overpopulated the queen and a group moves on. That may be what you have. Good advice to search up local beekeepers. Bees are having enough trouble right now as it is.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/10 8:30 a.m.

could also be a "new" queen taking some of the hive with her

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
6/22/10 9:19 a.m.

They are still there this morning. In the morning cold they are not moving as much. It really is neat to look at in a "I don't want that on me" kind of way. Like a huge moving pinecone.

I have no interest in harming them. If they are still there when I go home for lunch I will try and find a beekeeper. I just don't want them to find their new nest site in my house.

Geeze. I pretty much know where to find anything I need in most situations. But where does one find a hobbiest beekeeper. Craigslist?

EastCoastMojo
6/22/10 9:44 a.m.

Your local agricultural extension office will be able to help. Or the Googles.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/22/10 9:59 a.m.

keep in mind that your firearms are useless against them.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/22/10 10:22 a.m.
Well I guess that depends upon what you call FIREarms FIREarms" />
driver109x
driver109x Reader
6/22/10 6:03 p.m.

Same thing happened to me about 3 months ago. In a couple of hours, they were gone.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/10 6:16 p.m.

My in-laws are beekeepers - we have four of their hives in our back yard. Bees are absolutely fascinating, and totally polite houseguests. Over the Memorial Day weekend, they got a call about a wild swarm like the ones in the pictures just down the block so we headed out to pick it up. It was a very cool process, basically just sweeping them all into a small box while wearing the appropriate gear. The swarm looked like a football stuck in a small tree. My job was to be Flashlight Man as it was getting dark. From what I understand, as long as you get the queen you're good. They'll follow her if you missed some.

The colony is now happily living in one of their hives.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
6/22/10 7:45 p.m.

Found a local on craigslist that works with kids getting them involved in beekeeping. He happily cam by, shook them off the branch into one of those wooden hive things and left it. They will be back to pick it up after dark when they are all inside.

EastCoastMojo
6/22/10 7:47 p.m.

Yay! I love a happy ending.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
6/22/10 8:36 p.m.

You could have it worse...You could be this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYZ-xo-cBU

Thats my good friend Don in the backseat with the bees... (Unbeknown to everyone in the car, except for Don, was that bees were drones...)

Joey

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
6/22/10 10:46 p.m.

You could have called Beverly Perdue, govenor of NC. There was a news report today about her gathering honey from a hive at the state capitol or the govenor's mansion (i've forgotten which). The honey bee is NC's official state insect. (Waiting for responses addressing what your state's official insect is).

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/23/10 1:05 p.m.

Tonight is Midsummer's Night Eve, and also St. John's Eve. St. John is the patron saint of beekeepers. The full moon this month is known as Mead Moon, since mead is fermented honey (and damn near hallucinagenic!). It's where the term "honeymoon" comes from, and said to be a night for lovers.

The hives should be full of it about now.. Honey, not mead.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
6/23/10 1:33 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot: Living in Texas I thought it would be the mosquito. Imagine my surprise to find out it's the Monarch Butterfly.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/10 2:03 p.m.

Huh. Ours is the "Colorado Hairstreak Butterfly". Apparently thanks to a bunch of 4th graders in Aurora.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/23/10 2:30 p.m.

honeybee is also NJ's state insect.

M2Pilot wrote: (Waiting for responses addressing what your state's official insect is).

well since you asked:

Pennsylvania's state insect is the firefly, which i love and which happily appear to be making a comeback over the past few years.

other interesting bits:

state dog: great dane state toy: slinky (fitting for our politicians in the capital)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nOxIv88TMtQURr9ja72Hu3QK6sWKtsvyPjIfmejve8vYpieMB4HdTo10OPDIEw5i