Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/10 10:30 p.m.

It took 92 elephants before someone realized they were being smuggled

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39946108/ns/world_news-world_environment/

Five held as cops bust elephant smuggling ring

Selling elephants is barred under Indian law, but there is a thriving trade GAUHATI, India — Indian police busted an elephant smuggling ring, arresting five people and seizing three wild elephants, authorities said Monday.

Documents seized during the operation Sunday night showed the gang had smuggled at least 92 elephants from the northeastern state of Assam to other parts of India over the past five years, said police Superintendent P. K. Dutta.

Selling elephants is barred under Indian law and even getting permission to move domesticated elephants between states is a lengthy and complicated procedure.

Regardless, authorities say there remains a thriving trade in elephants, with many wealthy landowners in the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh buying the elephants as status symbols.

Authorities say the elephants are usually transported by truck. The smugglers are suspected of colluding with forestry officials, who have checkpoints along the major roads to prevent this type of smuggling.

Jay
Jay Dork
11/2/10 12:32 a.m.

Somebody send Mike Rowe over there. I wanna see "elephant smuggling" in an episode of Dirty Jobs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/2/10 7:21 a.m.

Be right back. I need to go poop an elephant.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/10 7:57 a.m.

question is.. what can you smuggle INSIDE an elephant

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/2/10 7:57 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Be right back. I need to go poop an elephant.

Uh man.... i may have eaten your chocolate elephant.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/10 7:58 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Be right back. I need to go poop an elephant.

I have had poops that felt like I was passing an elephant

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/2/10 8:18 a.m.

Does anyone remember the South Park when Eric goes to prison, and when he is released, he comes back and smuggles stuff in. As the scene goes to black, his old cell mate says something along the lines of "Wow, Disneyworld!"

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/2/10 8:20 a.m.

ERRRGHHHH- Here's space mountain....

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
11/2/10 9:09 a.m.

I was thinking that sneaking an elephant around must take some seriously good fast-talk skills.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/10 10:45 a.m.

Sneaking an elephant around in India probably isn't terribly difficult. They have a lot of unused jungle...

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
11/2/10 11:16 a.m.

-- Prepare for bad joke --

Sneaking an elephant across the border is easy, you just hide it in the trunk...

I warned you

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
11/2/10 8:45 p.m.

"Regardless, authorities say there remains a thriving trade in elephants, with many wealthy landowners in the states of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh buying the elephants as status symbols."

Status symbols....hmmm...

"So baby, wanna see my elephant?" apparently works over there

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fte4KHY7Q0L9a7pPgqqFJghqamuPcZlxfvQyf2YY9QDu9NAXKJFoWPQqyXFOnmyd