1 2
failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/15/15 2:24 p.m.

My wife and I are barely over 30 and its not uncommon for us to be in bed falling asleep before 9.

Alarms go off around 5 AM though. I spend at least 2 hours commuting each day, she spends at least 3-4.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
3/15/15 3:05 p.m.

Bunch of old whimps. I have to be at work before most of you get up (4am). My alarm goes off at 2am. My commute is only an hour. I don't go to bed until 8 or 9pm.

I just sleep in on weekends.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/15/15 4:18 p.m.

Bout the same here, except I don't get weekends off. 25-30 hours of sleep a week is the norm. Pretty sure its killing me.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/15/15 5:27 p.m.

I'm a night person, even so I quit bars well over 10 years ago. Besides the state lowering the BAC, drunks were always bad enough but even the better bars in town got infested w/ drugs. Not really an age thing tho... just wiser I guess.

Knee surgery scared the livin' crap outta me, thinkin' no more third pedal but it came back OK and I appreciate rowin' through the gears again.

Slowed down some w/ age, they ain't gonna run me like a 20 y/o... but again wiser. I'll hit the Easy Button whenever I can, no climbing roofs or digging ditches when ya can pay someone. Not dragging projects home like I used to but I still have nice rides.

At 56 besides some aches and pains... which nobody wants to hear about anyway, life ain't too bad. Watch diet. Monthly chiropractor visit for a tune-up. Sleep, really need more sleep. If I don't bag 8 hrs/ night I make it up on weekends.

Things I miss: all-nighters working on race cars or chasing around. Project vehicles, but there will be more when I retire.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/15 5:37 p.m.
Wally wrote: I have been listening to the oldies station in the car at work. they play hits like this one from way back in 1997. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

My father was bitching about them playing this. I guess the only thing worse then entering the oldies age bracket is leaving it.

As for sleep for the last year or so I'm lucky to get four hours. While my doctor worries that could be bad for me there are days I hope it is.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/15 6:10 p.m.

you guys are making me feel pretty good. I am an evening person.. even so, half my work week starts around 6am. Roll out of bed at 4:30.. jump into already situated clothes, take care of making myself look presentable.. and drive the 15 minutes to work. No hour or two commuting for me.

As for bars.. I do not drink, so that is a no go anyway. Concerts.. well, I usually work them

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/15 9:14 a.m.

In my 20s I could go indefinitely on 4-6 hours' sleep. Hell, in college and grad school I could go 48+ hours with just a few 20-minute naps here and there. That's long gone. I get about 7 hours a night on weeknights, and I try to get a few extra hours each day on the weekends. Otherwise I get grouchy and nonfunctional.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
3/16/15 9:37 a.m.

37 this year. Old enough to have an 820 credit score. Young enough to party till sunrise.

I can't berkeleying stand "live music" at a RESTAURANT. I'm there to eat and talk to whoever I'm there with, not listen to some old dude butcher songs that weren't any good to begin with.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/15 9:50 a.m.

Not to mention that every amateur or semi-pro musician since the dawn of amplifiers has played at least 50% too loudly for the venue... And I felt that way when I was a teenager, so it's not even an age thing.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
3/16/15 1:24 p.m.

I am a part time professional musician. The irony is that when the music is so loud it muddies the sound and everything sounds like crap. I have had many compliments saying I had the best sounding system. It wasn't anything special, just balanced properly.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/16/15 2:18 p.m.
Duke wrote: Not to mention that every amateur or semi-pro musician since the dawn of amplifiers has played at *least* 50% too loudly for the venue... And I felt that way when I was a teenager, so it's not even an age thing.

I posted earlier … most wannabe musicians confuse the volume control knob with talent

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/15 6:16 p.m.
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants wrote: 37 this year. Old enough to have an 820 credit score. Young enough to party till sunrise.

Hah. I'm about a week into that very same age and I have the exact opposite. Too young to have good credit but too old to stay up past 8pm.

I can't berkeleying stand "live music" at a RESTAURANT. I'm there to eat and talk to whoever I'm there with, not listen to some old dude butcher songs that weren't any good to begin with.

Kinda this too. I've never experienced live music that made me feel pleased to have been there.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/16/15 6:36 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I helped my brother move yesterday. His new house is near the coast and 12' off the ground. I don't feel old, I feel dead. The worst part about getting older, is it takes days to recover from stupid, instead of hours.

Yep. I used to be able to race an 80 mile enduro or 2 hour hare scrambles or etc on Sunday and feel fine on Monday. Then I didn't feel fine till Tuesday. Then it was Wednesday. When it got to be that I was still stiff and sore on Thursday morning, I decided maybe it was time to look for a less physically demanding sport. I was 42 when that happened.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/16/15 6:56 p.m.

I finished my season off with a six hour hare scramble last year and went to work on Monday feeling fine. The gym makes all the difference.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/15 7:08 p.m.

I'm 49. Skiied blacks all day and yesterday and now I'm on my third pint!

Wooo hoo!!

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/16/15 8:24 p.m.

37 is treating me pretty well and we still try to make it out for a night on the town once a month. Taking care of responsibilities leaves less $ for the fun projects but enforces GRM approach...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/17/15 11:11 a.m.
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants wrote: 37 this year. Old enough to have an 820 credit score. Young enough to party till sunrise. I can't berkeleying stand "live music" at a RESTAURANT. I'm there to eat and talk to whoever I'm there with, not listen to some old dude butcher songs that weren't any good to begin with.

I dunno Poop---- Friday night I ate at a restaurant in Jacksonville. There was this big dude named Wes Cobb playing.......everyone seemed to like it......a lot!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yWTNr4ST4wb94RRSld9waBledf8TtXKFQifta3UJz7qyiOIPNG4s6fDFvRkuH6GQ