1 2
Will
Will Dork
3/17/14 4:13 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Sci-fi has historically WAY over estimated the speed of technological advance.

Oddly enough the opposite is also true. Sure, everyone predicted flying cars and whatnot, but somehow most scifi couldn't predict computers smaller than a deck of cards. Star Trek computers/communicators are laughable by the standards of what we actually have now.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/14 5:08 p.m.

^I wouldn't say that at all. All of the computer and communication gear in Star Trek is still hyper-advsnced compared to today's technology, even if they use some kind of tape for storage, have outdated case styling and use a clumsy voice interface. The only tech we have fully met is the handheld communicator - same thing as a satellite phone.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/17/14 5:13 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: I mean, if old people aren't going to buy a Buick, what-n-hell is their demographic?
Shaq?

Tiger Woods?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/17/14 5:29 p.m.

And I have no concept of time other than it is flying.
If only I could kill the killer.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
3/17/14 7:26 p.m.

January 1920 Popular Science magazine has an article about an electric/gas hybrid vehicle with regenerative braking. Said it was likely to become the dominant type of car.

Maybe on some of these ridiculous predictions, we are just not there yet!

Bruce

Will
Will Dork
3/17/14 9:10 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ^I wouldn't say that at all. All of the computer and communication gear in Star Trek is still hyper-advsnced compared to today's technology, even if they use some kind of tape for storage, have outdated case styling and use a clumsy voice interface. The only tech we have fully met is the handheld communicator - same thing as a satellite phone.

I was referring to computer size and interface more than anything.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/17/14 9:49 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: And I have no concept of time other than it is flying. If only I could kill the killer.

As my fingers grow colder...slowly...ruthlessly...colder.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/18/14 7:21 a.m.

I just realized I have never owned a car made in this century.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/18/14 7:26 a.m.

It should have been the year 2000, but by then corporations had switched from innovation to the market manipulation business model.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
3/18/14 7:41 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I just realized I have never owned a car made in this millennium.

FTFY

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AEALPBuD9oEcUp0R1dxStsKB77GjWGgeTuEhF1bzAGw4bpF11QTJ7SkeB78RUBgJ