1 2 3
Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/18/20 10:49 a.m.

My issue is that it ramps up and down, at it's peak it's great but there are times where I get down into the 30s mps download and the ping goes high

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/20 10:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:
T.J. said:

149.5 down and 134 up. Local company ran fiber all over the past couple of years. The best part is it only costs me $51/ month. 

I hate you. Our wonderful 5 down .5 up is $78/month and is literally the only option unless we want satelite for $150/mo

I keep hoping, maybe forlornly, that COVID will result in the 2020 Internet equivalent of the REA from the 1930's. 

Interestingly, while it is a gigantic problem for rural communities, urban and suburban communities are not immune from this either, and in some cases it is worse. My street - we're less than 15 miles from downtown Chicago -  probably was one of the first with DSL in the country, but for true High Speed internet today, I have 2 options - AT&T, which gives me 1 package option (reasonable speed, stupidly expensive), or Comcast that gives me 1 affordable option that is acceptable speed FOR ME at 28 Down, 3 Up, and numerous options that are much faster but not in our budget. My parents, on the other hand, who live in a county that has a population density of 23/square mile, have 3 options, 2 of which are FAST and both are affordable. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/18/20 10:57 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

My issue is that it ramps up and down, at it's peak it's great but there are times where I get down into the 30s mps download and the ping goes high

Ping for what?  One particular game?

PC or Console?  What game?

Whats your ping before the issues and during the issues?

Diagnosing latency issues on a game can be a pain in the butt.  Especially on new games with "matchmaking" on a console where there is really no way for you to know where the server is, and what may be messing with your connection.  There are a lot of factors that can impact ping.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I won't lie, I had to google REA. 

Placemotorsports
6/18/20 11:02 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Placemotorsports said:

Ping for what?  One particular game?

PC or Console?  What game?

Whats your ping before the issues and during the issues?

Diagnosing latency issues on a game can be a pain in the butt.  Especially on new games with "matchmaking" on a console where there is really no way for you to know where the server is, and what may be messing with your connection.  There are a lot of factors that can impact ping.

Ping on the speed test, it goes above 100.  As for the games, we have 4 boys that play Xbox and or PC mostly at the same time and some of their games show their ping during gameplay.  When it's no issues it's typically around 20 but when the lag starts it can go up to 1000

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/18/20 11:05 a.m.

Oh damn.  That's pretty bad and that definitely sounds like a connection issue.  One thing you can do is check the logs on your modem around the time it happens.  If its the modem it can be replaced, if not, what you find there may help in reporting the issue to your ISP.

Placemotorsports
6/18/20 11:08 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Oh damn.  That's pretty bad and that definitely sounds like a connection issue.  One thing you can do is check the logs on your modem around the time it happens.  If its the modem it can be replaced, if not, what you find there may help in reporting the issue to your ISP.

I thought it may be the modem since the router is brand new.  I have a surfboard 6190 that's about 3 years old

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/18/20 11:17 a.m.

I love my Google Fiber

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/20 11:25 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I won't lie, I had to google REA. 

Rural Electrification Act, for everyone who doesn't want to google it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/18/20 9:45 p.m.

I wouldn't buy speed on the internet.  Just sayin'.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G2UcJmM439bX5j2c3AROV6wCL1h5s3iUpBctRpCM8Us1rcxTRTC4CWKCiiyNLhz5