93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/5/11 3:53 p.m.

Can an IPad work with Wireless G routers? I know nothing about wireless internet or the IPad. My parents just got an IPad and a free wireless G router. Can they work together?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
11/5/11 4:42 p.m.
Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/5/11 5:21 p.m.

When it comes to WiFi, pretty much everything works with pretty much everything.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/5/11 8:10 p.m.

Yes, certainly G and N. I think that we were on B at the hotel last night. They will likely enjoy it, Mom loves the EMac I just passed down, as it is intuitive to her (never used a Mac, dislikes computers in general). Considering getting her an iPad soon.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/7/11 12:26 p.m.

Cool. What is the difference between G, N and B? Speeds?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/7/11 12:26 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Cool. What is the difference between G, N and B? Speeds?

Yep.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/11 12:30 p.m.

and range.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/7/11 12:31 p.m.
turboswede wrote: and range.

Which one has the longest range? They want to be able to cover the whole house.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/11 12:33 p.m.

N has the longest range - but don't expect a spectacular increase. In most houses you won't even notice any difference between them in range.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/11 12:42 p.m.

I have a 1700 square foot house and I have to use two N routers to get enough coverage for reliable data streaming (mostly video content for the Media Center PCs).

I also have 5 Media Center systems, an iPad, a couple of iPhones, 3 PC's and several laptops consuming data within in the house (not all at the same time, but that would be the max load for the routers to manage)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/7/11 12:50 p.m.

a good max/mega range b/g router will have better range then an standard base model N...

G was the standard that you would find everywhere till about a year or so ago... these days N is the standard... and as far as speed unless you do lots of data transfer from computer to computer (most people don't) you won't need more then a G for data speed... B is non existent but some older laptops still only have a B wifi card and there are a few B routers running around in non techy houses... they don't have the security options G and newer does...

but the real answer on range depends on the house... an open floor plan is going to give more range (solid objects like walls cut down range)... if it's a 3 story or something like that it's another issue...

that being said... the cheapest G I could find worked fine with our 1000sq/ft ranch... we're in a 2000ish sq/ft ranch now and using a rangemax G (got it for super cheap) with the router in the center of the house and works well everywhere in the house... heck I can use it anywhere on the 1/4ish acre...

that being said... being that you are spending someone elses money... go with a super max range type N... by the time it dies it'll still be a good standard level router

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KVNC0K3u8n9XqAyaKgNA1sslmDqLbyFlECpUOgZkwd5PvlyGMw2CMZMdCIqwvuWy