1 2 3 4 ... 10
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 8:08 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I'm wearing pants, and I think undies, so I have that much right.
You are way ahead of me today.
Dude, put your pants on!
Pants chafe.

I'm working on a one man reality show called "Free Baller, Workin' from Home". I don't have all the details worked out but I will definitely be offending the gays as step one to get some extra face time with the media.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/13 8:15 a.m.

Nobody impinged on his right to hold those beliefs or express his opinion. He might have lost a venue and an audience, but those are not guaranteed. I'm not seeing any cause for outrage, here.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/13 8:22 a.m.

This is so stupid. The guy has a right to his opinion and his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not. I am sick of the media getting so out of whack anytime someone believes in anything.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/13 8:23 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Dude, put your pants on!
Pants chafe.

and make sure the undies are on the inside

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/19/13 8:33 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Dude, put your pants on!
Pants chafe.
and make sure the undies are on the inside

AWW CRAP! THAT's WHAT I DID WRONG!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/19/13 8:42 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: This is so stupid. The guy has a right to his opinion and his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not. I am sick of the media getting so out of whack anytime someone believes in anything.

That's a legitimate part of what the media does. Brings attention to really E36 M3ty things so that people are aware of them. The media was really important in the civil rights movement. Hell, they were really important in the fight over slavery. They well and truly berkeleyed up when they didn't cover the holocost and the other super nasty stuff that happened in Europe during the 30's-40's.
Now, I understand that people are annoyed at HOW they bring attention to E36 M3ty things happening, but not that they are bringing attention to those things in the first place.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/19/13 8:51 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: I have never watched an episode, don't plan to and honestly don't give a crap what some manufactured celebrity has to say.
but he has a beard and talks funny.. you're supposed to care what he says.

No, you're supposed to care because he's so "authentic"
http://www.avclub.com/article/how-redneck-reality-became-the-new-rural-working-c-96359

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/19/13 8:59 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: This is so stupid. The guy has a right to his opinion and his beliefs, whether you agree with them or not. I am sick of the media getting so out of whack anytime someone believes in anything.

He does. Doesn't mean you won't face repercussions for your speech. I can walk in here and tell my boss what a berkeleying shiny happy person he is. When he fires me, I can't claim freedom of speech.

The
The Reader
12/19/13 9:20 a.m.

why did i have my cable turned off......i am missing all this great entertainment.......

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:22 a.m.

Wife and I were talking about this this morning, general consensus was "whatever- it's not like he was gay bashing or gonna shoot em or something. He said A- he didn't get it, and his bible told him it's wrong. End of story" .

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/19/13 9:22 a.m.

He has a right to free speech. Apparently the people calling him out for his backwards opinions do not have the right to free speech. Right?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/19/13 9:25 a.m.

You mean people watch Duck Dynasty?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/19/13 9:27 a.m.

hitler referencing gay slurs

The
The Reader
12/19/13 9:27 a.m.

I love everybody, I just hate a son of a bitch that don't like me and you.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:28 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: You mean people watch Duck Dynasty?

I actually quite enjoy the show. While it's totally scripted and fake, it's sort of refreshing to see that instead of the typical "you's a ho" type "reality" television.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/19/13 9:29 a.m.
Someone In another thread wrote: For the past number of years respect for religions, religious values, family values and moral principles have been decreasing, and things have continually gotten worse in this country.

Are things getting worse, or are you more able to learn about it quickly becaus eof teh intr3webz? Are things getting worse, or are the biased media outlets (biased both ways) spouting out slanted fear-mongering rhetoric in order to keep you afraid so youll keep watching (zomfg the earth is doomed!!! details at 6:05pm after traffic and weather together with Bill Moyle and the newscenter 7 alert team - News Center 7, We're on your side)? Hey, wrap your mind around this scenario:

A Channel 7 news alert, lake breaking story at 5pm: Earlier today, someone said something that someone else didnt like about a gay sandwich

nearly an hour later

OMFG, ok, so, after an hour of debate, we know the Gays hate sandwiches, and the sandwiches hate the gays! Dianne, I think the sky is falling! Someone set us up the bomb, all ur base are belong to us!!

meanwhile:

hey guys, if theyre all arguing about homosexual sandwiches, no one will ever even see it coming when we berkley them in their asses

I know, Merkuns all have the dumb, plus, Im rich beeotch

lulz, see what we did there? kekekeke
The
The Reader
12/19/13 9:30 a.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/19/13 9:32 a.m.
pres589 wrote: He has a right to free speech. Apparently the people calling him out for his backwards opinions do not have the right to free speech. Right?

I don't think they have a "right" to go out and cost him is job. He say this stuff on the show, he made comments about his religious views to a magazine who probably led him into it. He didn't judge these people, he said he didn't understand it and was quite graphic. He said God would judge them and he wasn't talking just about homos. So he hurt some gay peoples feelings and now they want to punish him for it. His job performance didn't suffer, so, as in the "smelling of weed thread", why should he be fired. I think A&E has no balls.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:36 a.m.

Gays probably weren't even offended, it's probably uppity DINKS with nothing better to do than meddle.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd HalfDork
12/19/13 9:41 a.m.

Haven't watched the show, so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I dunno, am I allowed to say redneck or do I need a nicer euphemism?

Basically we're OK with watching a bunch of rich rednecks do their slightly backwards redneck thing as long as it's quaint and they behave like a modern reality TV version of the Beverly Hillbillies. But when they actually espouse the views that actual rednecks tend to have it's a goddamn controversy?

I guess I'm mildly offended by his comments, but A) I know lots of people are thinking it anyway and B) the tide is turning and the bigots are going to lose this one. So, eh, not real noteworthy. He's an ignorant ass, but there are a lot of those to go around.

I'm much more offended by the people that gets their kicks doing this gross reality tv cultural tourism crap, treating people like they're animals in the zoo, bouncing between idolizing and mocking them, etc. That seems like the bigger sin here.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/19/13 9:41 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
I actually quite enjoy the show. While it's totally scripted and fake, it's sort of refreshing to see that instead of the typical "you's a ho" type "reality" television.

I've been told by folks that watch the show that they all have master degrees and they are actually pretty smart, they just act like hillbillies.

I don't watch it mainly because I get tired of hillbillies wannabes. I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in High School, I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in College, and I certainly do not want to deal with wannabe hillbillies on TV.

If I ever met a real hillbilly, I would hope they don't actually act like the hand fishing or swamp people - people.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:47 a.m.

I've known me some real hillbillies. Good folks, killer food, don't give a E36 M3 who you are for the most part. And I tell ya, if Skynet ever happens, it's gonna be them that save the world.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/19/13 9:54 a.m.

SBF wrote:

I've been told by folks that watch the show that they all have master degrees and they are actually pretty smart, they just act like hillbillies.

I don't watch it mainly because I get tired of hillbillies wannabes. I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in High School, I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in College, and I certainly do not want to deal with wannabe hillbillies on TV.

me thinks you are right

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/19/13 9:56 a.m.
ppddppdd wrote: Basically we're OK with watching a bunch of rich rednecks do their slightly backwards redneck thing as long as it's quaint and they behave like a modern reality TV version of the Beverly Hillbillies. But when they actually espouse the views that actual rednecks tend to have it's a goddamn controversy?

He was a little off script.
http://www.avclub.com/article/how-redneck-reality-became-the-new-rural-working-c-96359

These shows are sanitized for the protection of viewers with blue-state sensibilities; when they occur at all, political discussions tend to center on generalized platitudes about freedom and family, rather than specifics that might turn off half the potential audience.

It doesn't matter, though. This will help him bond with the show's core demographic, and then politicians will embrace him in an effort to reach that audience.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-suspended-sarah-palin-duck-dynasty-fans-react/ Oops, already happened

He'll show up in some family scene, the fans will demand he rejoin the show, the studio will relent, and life will go on as lucratively as ever. (as people buy more duck dynasty merchandise - god, they're as bad as kiss about throwing their name on everything - to support him)

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:58 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
mndsm wrote:
I've been told by folks that watch the show that they all have master degrees and they are actually pretty smart, they just act like hillbillies. I don't watch it mainly because I get tired of hillbillies wannabes. I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in High School, I dealt with wannabe hillbillies in College, and I certainly do not want to deal with wannabe hillbillies on TV. If I ever met a real hillbilly, I would hope they don't actually act like the hand fishing or swamp people - people.

Scripted and fake or not, reality or not, I would put it in the top 10% of TV today.

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XPzif5C7GBl7eQWpOoqR0j7QYHbJBH1r3idJSflKUl4Gxa5BEWosOAl6ocGuKYWx