1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
totes mcgotes hon
totes mcgotes hon New Reader
12/19/13 12:05 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

It's a pretty reasonable question. It's not like I demanded it be made otherwise. I couldn't care less. I was honestly just curious why swear words are filtered, but a slur that often functions as a swear as well isn't.

The
The Reader
12/19/13 12:17 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/19/13 12:19 p.m.
totes mcgotes hon wrote: I was honestly just curious why swear words are filtered, but a slur that often functions as a swear as well isn't.

I think it's mainly because no one has been dense enough to use that slur here before, so they haven't gotten around to filtering it.

As for the original topic, it's all about money...the show producers don't want anything that could potentially offend one of their sponsors, simple as that.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/19/13 12:20 p.m.

“It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus,”

Yeah, that E36 M3 there's just crazy talk, right?

You nancy-boys go on with your bad selves.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 12:24 p.m.
totes mcgotes hon wrote: but a slur that often functions as a swear as well isn't.

Y sometimes functions as a vowel but that shat ain't no berkeleying vowel. We do not treat it as one.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/19/13 12:32 p.m.
The wrote: Sweet Potato Pie..........does she pecans or marshmellows?

Neither.

Doesn't need it.

It's that good.

totes mcgotes hon
12/19/13 12:36 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn: Yeah, I was kinda thinking, "because they expect better."

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Slurs are far from "family friendly" on their own. Even more so than swearing, really. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was suggesting that it being sometimes perceived as a swear word had much to do with it.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/19/13 12:44 p.m.

In reply to totes mcgotes hon:

Its not a problem because we don't give enough berkeleys to call each other those things.......so pretty much, why fix an alleged problem that doesn't exist?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
12/19/13 12:50 p.m.

totes mcgotes hon
12/19/13 1:01 p.m.

In reply to yamaha: I totally agree.

edit: I was just pointing out the humor in "less offensive" words being censored while a "more offensive" word is not.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/19/13 1:02 p.m.
Wally wrote:
chrispy wrote: Phil's comments this past season have lead me to believe he's pretty much done with the show anyway - more time to hunt. I think they jumped the shark when they started selling merchandise at Walmart.
I was thinking the same thing. My father likes the show because he can watch it with the grand kids and not have to worry, but recently it has looked like they were about done and just trying to put away a bit more money before going about their lives.

I think they felt that way this past year when A&E threatened to cancel them if they didn't cut back on the guns and blessings at the table. A&E had no idea they would call their bluff. Hey, let's get one more good year in the bank then....

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/19/13 1:08 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Neither. Doesn't need it. It's that good.

Sweet potato pie, in general, doesn't need either.

E: Something I would also like to point out, mentioning free speech is kinda dumb. The first only prevents the government from slapping your faggot ass for saying faggoty things, it does not apply to private entities or people.

E2, Electric Boogaloo: Can the filter change Faggot to Faaaaaabulous? because that would be funny as hell.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/19/13 1:21 p.m.

I also find that people tend to use the term "free speech" in areas where it really has little relevance.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 1:22 p.m.
Grizz wrote: The first only prevents the government from slapping your faggot ass for saying faggoty things, it does not apply to private entities or people.

This would confuse a bunch of limeys and Welshmen who think of faggots as food.

"My grandmother made a bunch of faggots" is not supposed to be hilarious. It is just supposed to make you unable to finish your dinner.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/19/13 1:24 p.m.

People also put fags in their mouth and suck on them. Sometimes more than 20 a day!

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/19/13 1:31 p.m.

My theory:

In "reality" TV, you can't really "kill" a character. However, that character can do something stupid to get himself kicked off the show. Removal of the character generates buzz around the show, thus increasing ratings. Eventually, dismissed character comes back among much fanfare, thus increasing ratings.

Rick- "I'm being shut down? Why?

Louis - "I am shocked - shocked - to learn gambling occurs in this establishment"

(table operator walks up to Louis) "Your winnings, sir."

Louis - "Ah... Thank you."

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/19/13 1:46 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:

Yeah dude, why berkeley up a good pie with E36 M3 like that?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/19/13 1:54 p.m.

The funny thing is how some don't understand that free speech doesn't apply to web forums such as this one...this is not a downtown street corner, it's essentially the lobby of our gracious host's business.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/13 2:33 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Yeah dude, why berkeley up a good pie with E36 M3 like that?

tuna, you're not fooling anyone. you're such a nice guy you probably typed b e r k e l e y and E 3 6 M 3 instead of the words they sub for, didn't you?

:-)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/19/13 2:40 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The funny thing is how some don't understand that free speech doesn't apply to web forums such as this one...this is not a downtown street corner, it's essentially the lobby of our gracious host's business.

This is also true

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/19/13 3:39 p.m.

I am outraged that I am supposed to be outraged about somebody from an outrageous reality TV show said something that I should be outraged about.

Outrage.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/19/13 3:50 p.m.

I'm outraged at your avatar.......stanced and MG don't belong in the same picture.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/13 3:54 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: People also put fags in their mouth and suck on them. Sometimes more than 20 a day!

It was a different time, everyone was doing it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/13 4:18 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The funny thing is how some don't understand that free speech doesn't apply to web forums such as this one...this is not a downtown street corner, it's essentially the lobby of our gracious host's business.

No, it applies here, too. You can say whatever you want and hold any opinion you want, but the hosts don't have to let you stay if you start being a bad guest.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/19/13 4:26 p.m.

Phil = Brian

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0294m1dfcJDNf4EzhnwTVwFqQpiyFhpEMI1bPY9DfmVXxAQl6kki0pRMD9jXxaeZ