1 2
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/15 1:21 p.m.

So I need a good pair of snow pants for these stupid blizzards/snow drops we keep getting. The frostbite on my knees digging the plow truck out every time is getting old :) I was looking at picking up a good pair of Carhartt insulated overalls to go with the coat, but I was just wondering if there was any better choices for waterproof, insulated snowsuits/overalls before I drop a C-note?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/3/15 1:33 p.m.

Nope. They're worth every damn penny and then some.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/3/15 1:34 p.m.

If you're looking for tan/brown/black burlap-y things, no.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
2/3/15 1:46 p.m.

Sorel makes cold weather work wear as well. I've got a Sorel jacket that has been tough as nails for over 10 years of bushwacking through the woods, working on cars, and numerous other adventures. Still waterproof too.

Ben Meadows has SwedePro chainsaw pants in Winter Weight that will be plenty tough.

Labonville makes something similar.

Husquavarna chainsaw pants usually get high marks for winter wear and toughness.

I like stuff made for loggers and arborists because they are designed to resist being torn to shreds by thorns.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/15 1:47 p.m.

I bought Eddie Bauer ski pants on closeout while vacation in Orlando, FL. Love them for snowblowing, my only complaint is that I need suspenders to keep them from falling down.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/3/15 1:50 p.m.

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby check out their house brand (C.E. Schmidt). I have both and honestly can't tell any real difference but the Schmidt stuff is 40% cheaper.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/15 1:56 p.m.

i have some schmidt stuff and it's noticably not as nice to wear as the carhartt. i have otherwise identical hooded coats and the carhartt material is softer and allows more arm movement in addition to being warmer.

walls makes some nice coveralls too, and i forget what brand my overalls are but they are awesome and super warm. will check that out next time i run to the basement.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/3/15 2:11 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/3/15 2:13 p.m.

duluth trading sells some bibs, I don't know how they compare.

I had some carhart knockoffs, "berco wear" or something, They worked well for the years I had them.

Found them.. http://www.bernedirect.com/Standard-Insulated-Coverall.html

They were OK...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/3/15 2:27 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i have some schmidt stuff and it's noticably not as nice to wear as the carhartt. i have otherwise identical hooded coats and the carhartt material is softer and allows more arm movement in addition to being warmer. walls makes some nice coveralls too, and i forget what brand my overalls are but they are awesome and super warm. will check that out next time i run to the basement.

I have some old Walls overalls and they're quite good.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/3/15 2:59 p.m.

Milwaukee makes heated jackets. A friend got one two years ago, loves it and it has been faultless. They do not make pants.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/15 3:16 p.m.

I've been pretty happy with my Duluth Firehose work pants (enough that I now have 4 pairs, each a different color), but the ones I have are a) not waterproof (though are resistent so water runs off them) and b) aren't lined/insulated. I believe they make both fleece-lined versions as well as actual snow pants. They have a very liberal return/exchange policy too if you're not happy with them.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
2/3/15 3:29 p.m.

I went directly for the lined Carhartt jacket, and it has served me very well for the past 10 years or so. I might have to try the bibs.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/3/15 3:56 p.m.

I haven't tried any other brands, but my Carhartt insulated overalls have been worth their weight in gold.

I broke them in working the night shift on the trucking docks while in college in an unheated cross-dock operation in west Michigan.

10 years later I still wear them out for junkyard missions/snowblowing/or wrenching on cars in sub zero temps.

They work.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/15 4:15 p.m.

I currently have a Walls Frost Pruf, a Carhartt, and a Berne. Walls is a bit warmer, but not nearly as indestructible as the Carharrt. The Berne is just poorly designed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/15 5:23 p.m.

Love my Carharrt jacket. Can't believe it took me so long to discover them. It's like putting on a warm suit of armor.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
2/3/15 5:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's like putting on a warm suit of armor.

That's the best way I've heard it described.

We don't get sub freezing temps here but I've got a couple Carhartt jackets that are durable as all get out. If I move to a place in the future I'll definitely be picking up a set up overalls. They make great gloves too.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/3/15 5:46 p.m.

I only wear coveralls when I am going to be stationary for a while, like blowing snow on the tractor. Otherwise I use fleece lined jeans over quality thermal underwear because the flexibility is a lot better.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/15 5:54 p.m.

I was sporting Carhartt bibs last weekend when I finished resurrecting my son's Civic. Started off at -2 outside, maybe 37 inside by 6pm. Good stuff. I feel like an astronaut wearing them, but nice and warm while lying on a cold concrete floor with salty slush everywhere.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/3/15 7:11 p.m.

I've had walls, but when I have used Carhartt, they are hands down better than the walls.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
2/3/15 7:20 p.m.

Carhartt bibs and a heavy hooded sweatshirt are all I will wear outside in the winter - Under Armour cold gear under that if its really cold.

Yes its worth the money for real Carhartts if you do any real work outside.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/15 7:26 p.m.

Anyone notice how all, ALL, Carhart jackets blow out around the wrists? Every. Single. One. Wish they'd double line them.

That said, I've had the same Carhart for 20 years. Love it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/15 7:34 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Nope. They're worth every damn penny and then some.

I'm cheap but not so cheap as to not wear Carhartt when conditions warrant it.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/15 7:35 p.m.

Alright, sounds like the carhartts are a solid bet. I've heard that a lot of people hold off drooling the coin for them, then wonder why they took so long. I do love my coat.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/15 10:32 p.m.

wait for a deal. last year rural king put some carhartt coats on clearance. hooded even. so cheap i bought 2. $29. it's the only way to go if you're cheap. also look for a gabriel brothers store in your area

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZfkX5UsIt0z77mB3NYhAo8B197g0t0kY4MSyZTZ4lkRkKdlvOwYIxLCSPkgWVJJn