1 2
white_fly
white_fly Reader
2/3/15 11:42 p.m.

I have a Carhartt jacket. It was run over by a backhoe and is a little bit worse for wear, but still plenty functional.

However, when it's too cold for that jacket, I have some Helly Hansen cold weather gear that is incredible. I've never had to wear all three pieces of it.

The
The HalfDork
2/4/15 5:52 a.m.

Comfy makes goose down coats and clothes it's what cowboys wear (not the football players)I have worn them for 30 years all over the USA and if your body part is in a Comfy item it will not be cold, most times it will be half unzipped and they last I have had the jacket I wore today for 20 years, BUT if is very hard to find even on the interweb, I cannot find anything on them, it is usually sold at western clothing stores.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/4/15 9:58 a.m.

There's a reason nearly all construction workers in the Midwest wear Carhartt winter gear---- it works great and it's nearly indestructible.

I bought a "light" winter Carhartt jacket, as I know it's the last winter jacket I'll ever need. (living in Florida) It gets used maybe 5 days a year--- when I travel up North.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/4/15 10:34 a.m.

If you have a taun taun around, I'd recommend that.

Its so epic they even made a sleeping bag.

But seriously, just stick with carhart. Layer the underarmor thermals under normal clothes with carharts on top for instant "berkeley you winter" levels of warmth.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
2/4/15 5:59 p.m.

I don't work outside or anything, but I do enjoy being out in the cold and snow. I personally like snow pants and over the years have accumulated a few pairs. The Columbia Bugaboo pants are pretty nice, but can get bulky. They will keep you dry too. My newest pair are Oakley that I got on super clearance and are gore-tex. The liner is kind of thin but they keep me plenty warm and totally dry. All of mine are tough as nails and look brand new despite the amount I use them.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
2/5/15 4:25 p.m.

I wore out a walls coat working The dock at ups in Illinois, still have the carhartt coat I replaced it with those 15 years ago. I rarely put the carhartt pants/bibs I have on since they work so well I overheat. If you get cold legs you won't be disappointed.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
2/6/15 8:11 a.m.

I wore Berco insulated coveralls for winter work for years, from TSC IIRC and a lot cheaper than Carhartt. Durable and kept me warm. Don't even know if they're still available. Not wrenching under vehicles in January anymore, so there's that but I'd try Berco insulated first before spendy Carhartt.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HqCatIXisarqADqa8JgrxDtlZKk78lXByHXpicMTwQHboOQF2lmHI3i0A9VBoOga