1 2 3 ... 6
BAMF
BAMF Reader
11/30/11 1:05 p.m.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely_n_1119473.html

I remember being told as a youngster in the late 80's that this was the kind of stuff the Soviets did, and our opposition to this and support for liberty was the core issue of the Cold War.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/30/11 1:08 p.m.
BAMF wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely_n_1119473.html I remember being told as a youngster in the late 80's that this was the kind of stuff the Soviets did, and our opposition to this and support for liberty was the core issue of the Cold War.

I wonder how long it will be before protesters are labeled terrorists.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/11 1:11 p.m.

So, when all this screwed up mess really goes down, and WE are forced to flee to avoid our own government's power, where do we go???

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
11/30/11 1:11 p.m.

Freedom is overrated. We need to keep up with the rest of the world and have the government do our thinking and provide our every need, as they do in prison.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/30/11 1:22 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
BAMF wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely_n_1119473.html I remember being told as a youngster in the late 80's that this was the kind of stuff the Soviets did, and our opposition to this and support for liberty was the core issue of the Cold War.

First of all, you have to be skeptical of anything the Huffy Post publishes. For instance, they don't headline that article accurately, using "Americans" where they should have used "suspected terrorists". Second of all, Nancy Pelosi already labeled the peaceful Tea Party protesters as terrorists.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/11 1:27 p.m.

if that article is half true.. it does raise scary questions about how the military is only supposed to patrol our streets in times of crisis.

How far along down this slippery slope do we need to go?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/30/11 1:30 p.m.

It's America as they want it. I imagine those in charge are tired of the populace complaining and worried they'll do something about it. Thus this push to overturn the Constitution.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
11/30/11 1:36 p.m.
petegossett wrote: So, when all this screwed up mess really goes down, and WE are forced to flee to avoid our own government's power, where do we go???

Uruguay, or Costa Rica if you have a little more dough.

Not that I've been planning or anything,

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/30/11 1:40 p.m.

You folks do realise that this is already going on, and has been going on for years now? All they did was refuse to try to stop it. As they have refused many times before.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/30/11 1:41 p.m.

Definitely an unsafe tactic for a country in which the public already resents and distrusts at points.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
11/30/11 1:41 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I wonder how long it will be before protesters are labeled terrorists.

This is the KEY point here. It is not what can be done to terrorists, it's how they DEFINE terrorist. You can stretch that definition to include pretty much anyone who doesn't agree with the current government (which is a very large percentage of the current population).

Hey, the president can already order the killing of a US citizen as long as they are not physically in the US and that they are "terrorists".

"Congratulations, you won a free trip to Mexico"

Boom!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/30/11 1:42 p.m.

When the Japanese Americans were locked up in internment camps they were all declared "suspected collaborators" just because of their race

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/30/11 1:45 p.m.
petegossett wrote: So, when all this screwed up mess really goes down, and WE are forced to flee to avoid our own government's power, where do we go???

Straight to them.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/30/11 2:02 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: Freedom is overrated. We need to keep up with the rest of the world and have the government do our thinking and provide our every need, as they do in prison.

It won't matter. America will never be as cool as Europe, no matter how hard we try to be like them.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
11/30/11 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Canada seems almost as cool as Europe and almost as free as the U.S. Maybe that is a good place to move to.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/30/11 2:11 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Duke: Canada seems almost as cool as Europe and almost as free as the U.S. Maybe that is a good place to move to.

That's actually the worst of both worlds, maybe. Not cool enough to live on cool (and government handouts) alone, yet not free enough to be worth working hard to provide for yourself, either.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/11 2:16 p.m.

someplace with a border to the continental us. flying or sailing my projects would be too expensive.....!

Hal
Hal Dork
11/30/11 2:21 p.m.

Just the idea that they tried to put something like this into law is another good reason for replacing all members of Congress in the next election.

The "Occupy XXX" movement needs to repurpose itself as the "No Incumbents" movement. If most or all of the incumbents were defeated it sure would get the message across.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
11/30/11 2:26 p.m.
Duke wrote: not free enough to be worth working hard to provide for yourself, either.

How so? Define this freedom you speak of.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/30/11 2:28 p.m.

I believe everything I read on the internet.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
11/30/11 2:33 p.m.
Hal wrote: ...If most or all of the incumbents were defeated it sure would get the message across.

I really don't think this will do anything ( although I do understand the sentiment ). It would just result in the regular swapping of Dems and Reps... which pretty much has already been going on for a while.

Now, if you could get rid of all the Dems and Reps, THAT would send a message!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/11 2:45 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: First of all, you have to be skeptical of anything the Huffy Post publishes. For instance, they don't headline that article accurately, using "Americans" where they should have used "suspected terrorists". Second of all, Nancy Pelosi already labeled the peaceful Tea Party protesters as terrorists.

Huff Po is very left leaning. It's about as ridiculous as other biased sites such as Fox news, Drudge, and/or Daily Kos.

That said, do you have a quote in print from a non-biased news org attributing this statement to Pelosi? I'd like to see it. I'm no Pelosi fan but that's knowledge I'd like to have.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
11/30/11 2:48 p.m.

It was in reference to the debt ceiling debate -

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) told a group of liberal bloggers Thursday that she has super-secret plan to combat the GOP’s “hostage-taking” mentality and prevent a repeat of the debt limit debate, during which Republicans got basically everything they wanted by “acting like terrorists”

That is how Fox News reported it.

Edit - I can't see where anyone else directly quoted this, just rehashes.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/30/11 2:50 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

They already have been. The DHS put out a report saying conservatives need to be feared and will be seen as terrorists.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/30/11 2:53 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: They already have been. The DHS put out a report saying conservatives need to be feared and will be seen as terrorists.

Isn't DHS run by conservative leaning individuals?

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWbTug8HdBATxYBe71JOzpFwvfup8qs6tFD1vL6rZujTMH20tnrK0z0TqBYmdv3C