1 2
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/2/09 8:48 a.m.

I just got back from a three day ski trip in Crested Butte, Colorado. No snow the entire time. Only two charlifts open.

As soon as I get back home it starts dumping snow in Downtown Dallas. What the....???

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/09 8:52 a.m.

Weather is messed up all over. I saw 77 degrees while driving to work this morning.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/2/09 8:57 a.m.

really?? it's not even snowing in West Michigan

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/2/09 8:58 a.m.

My huskies were very happy this morning.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/2/09 8:59 a.m.

I'd love to see some of the news footage of Texans attempting to drive in that stuff!

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
12/2/09 9:03 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I'd love to see some of the news footage of Texans attempting to drive in that stuff!

I second that! It's sad enough watching Michigander sometimes, someone who has never driven in it before should be hilarious.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/2/09 9:05 a.m.

Personally, I can't wait till I see my first large, snow covered, open parking lot

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
12/2/09 9:09 a.m.

Heck up here we normally have snow on the ground right now and rarely get above 30 degrees this time of year. Right now its getting to the 40's during the days and no snow at all, even the mountains are scarce on the stuff compared to normal.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
12/2/09 9:22 a.m.

A friend of mine from college lives in the Dallas area and she just posted on Facebook about it. She's excited because she grew up near Chicago and has been missing the snow. We're supposed to get some snow either tonight or tomorrow here in Indiana, but the highs are supposed to stay in the 40's so it most likely won't be sticcking around. Which is too bad cause I want to see how my new tire will handle snow driving.

EricM
EricM Dork
12/2/09 9:28 a.m.

When I lived in Houston the company I worked for (Exxon Mobil) told me that if it ever snowed to just stay home. I told them I was from Nothern Illinois and could handle a little now. they said, "yup!, but no one here can, so just stay home" I thanked them for the words of wisdome. In the 2+ years I was there it never snowed.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
12/2/09 10:03 a.m.

When in Wichita Falls, years ago, it snowed about 2". Every thing closed down, except for a bunch of us guys from the NE. We had a ball. The Texans thought we were crazy.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/2/09 10:17 a.m.

And now the sun is shining and all the snow is gone!

Now that's the way to have snow.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/2/09 12:54 p.m.

When I lived in Bryan (Central Texas), it snowed about every 5 years. I built a snowman in the front yard in 1985. The neighbor kids wanted to know how I did that. Anyway, every time it snowed, the next day right in the middle of every field was a 4 wheel drive truck sunk down to the axles. I can just see them: "I got 4WD. Watch This!!"

Here in NW AR, we get snow and/or ice every year. I like the season change, never having lived where there were four actual seasons before. Anyway, first ice of the year, everyone here forgets how to drive on it. Every year. You'd think they'd remember. Rear wheel drive vehicles litter the highway.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
12/2/09 3:54 p.m.
iceracer wrote: When in Wichita Falls, years ago, it snowed about 2". Every thing closed down, except for a bunch of us guys from the NE. We had a ball. The Texans thought we were crazy.

I've seen a lot of Yankees in the ditches in and around Wichita Falls and Lubbock in the winter. Seems some think they're better winter drivers than they really are. They really hate being pulled out by some redneck Texan in a 2wd pickup, by the way.

When I'm up North, I can't help but notice they have offs and fender benders in the ice and snow up there, too.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/2/09 7:39 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
iceracer wrote: When in Wichita Falls, years ago, it snowed about 2". Every thing closed down, except for a bunch of us guys from the NE. We had a ball. The Texans thought we were crazy.
I've seen a lot of Yankees in the ditches in and around Wichita Falls and Lubbock in the winter. Seems some think they're better winter drivers than they really are. They really hate being pulled out by some redneck Texan in a 2wd pickup, by the way. When I'm up North, I can't help but notice they have offs and fender benders in the ice and snow up there, too.

My brother pulled three people out of the ditch in his 2WD pick up coming from northern Minnesota to Chicago in a BAD snowstorm. Took him 14 hours what normally takes him 7.

There are idiots who don't know how to drive everywhere in any condition. I just always try to remind myself that slower is better in the snow, but if you are moving don't stop unless you need to, give yourself LOTS of extra room to do it, and its better to turn out of the way rather than try to brake. And for the love of God, in the snow, do not brake while turning. Do it before the turn, or not at all. Engine braking is best.

I think that the reason for all of it is that in the southern states, there is no snow removal and everything takes a long time to get going again. In the north, people know that even if its not clear now, it will be soon so I might as well go out.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/2/09 7:43 p.m.

The weather is pretty normal for New York now. It's 40 degrees and raining. Yup. It's pretty much always 40 degrees and raining.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
12/2/09 9:35 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: The weather is pretty normal for New York now. It's 40 degrees and raining. Yup. It's pretty much always 40 degrees and raining.

Same here. I hate 40 and rain. I'd much rather have 25 and snow, or 45 and clear. It's just something about that 34-40 degree range with rain I do not enjoy.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 10:01 p.m.

it's 65 and raining here in Southern NJ...

To judge by all the rain we had this year.. it's going to be a bad winter for us if it gets down below freezing.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/3/09 6:03 a.m.

58 in upstate New York, raining like hell, wipers can't keep up. Temp drops to 35 by noon. We should be shoveling by now.

Dan

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
12/3/09 9:54 a.m.

Hit all of 7 degrees here last night . Everything is frozen solid but still no snow.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/3/09 9:59 a.m.

My house A/C is running. 84 outside. I hate snow, but would really appreciate a few 60 days. Florida is supposed to cool off now, ain't happening.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/3/09 10:08 a.m.
mtn wrote: My And for the love of God, in the snow, do not brake while turning. Do it before the turn, or not at all. Engine braking is best.

Not for me, it's not (engine braking). I'd prefer modulating my own brakes on all four courners any time. But yes...slow is best with no sudden change in direction.

If you drive like there's a bottle of nitro-glycerin sitting on the back seat, you'll probably be fine.

Clem

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/3/09 11:17 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
mtn wrote: My And for the love of God, in the snow, do not brake while turning. Do it before the turn, or not at all. Engine braking is best.
Not for me, it's not (engine braking). I'd prefer modulating my own brakes on all four courners any time. But yes...slow is best with no sudden change in direction. If you drive like there's a bottle of nitro-glycerin sitting on the back seat, you'll probably be fine. Clem

For me, it has seemed to be the best... Obviously this is for slowing down, not for stopping. Slows down the wheels, but they are obviously still turning. The problems in snow always seem to come when people hit the brakes. ABS doesn't really work too well in snow.

And that nitroglycerin idea is a good one (just the driving like there is one, not actually having one)

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/3/09 6:16 p.m.

Sooo looks like Houston is going to get some of the white stuff tomorrow, should be interesting. Supposedly city of Houston is telling people not to bother driving in unless they have to

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/3/09 8:47 p.m.

the weather guessers are saying we're going to get some this weekend... at least Asheville west, north, and southwest ( and above 4000') but,sadly not the east end of the county... oh well they've been wrong before, My 2.2 needs it's yearly fix...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LRpnaoSRRrmePt9RQ88iwWHz1QFTWjCHEx58eEYHW0OfqCsnDqaUOadpYVR50Ue4