1 2 3 4 5
Torkel
Torkel Reader
3/1/23 10:47 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

That is a cloud of hydrogen gas and molecular dust that is collapsing under its own gravity and will form new stars and planets eventually. The dust is heavy elements that where created when massive stars burn up their hydrogen and covert it into helium, up the periodic table until they reach iron in mere tens of millions of years. After they hit Iron,  they explode as a super nova creating and spewing all of the heavy elements that make up the Earth and you and me.

I should have guessed! ;-)

Thank you for the explanation. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/23 8:19 p.m.

Here is a nice animation of just how large black holes are.laugh "For example, to turn the Earth into a black hole, it would shrink into the size less than an inch across."

VolvoHeretic
3/15/23 5:11 p.m.

OT: Don't forget to impress your family and friends by standing an egg on end on the Spring Vernal Equinox on March 20 2023 at 4:24 p.m. Central Daylight Time. The exact time isn't important. If you are really good, you can stand it on its small end. This is from the fall equinox.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/23 5:54 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

It may be even more impressive to do it outside of the equinox, even though it's not any more difficult cheeky

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/egg-balancing-on-the-equinox/

VolvoHeretic
3/15/23 6:40 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Dang, I will admit I have never tried to stand an egg on end other than during the equinox and now I won't ever try again. sad I'm still not going to admit it to my grandkids.

VolvoHeretic
3/17/23 12:25 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
3/17/23 10:24 a.m.

I have a friend who has a printing shop. He told me a few years ago that he was going to set up a printer with black light ink. I want to have a bunch of JWST photos printed up in poster size and use them as wall and ceiling paper in my living/audio/video room.

VolvoHeretic
3/28/23 9:53 p.m.

First image of a gamma ray burst from 2 billion light years away. If it was near to us and aimed right at us, it would vaporize the atmosphere and destroy all life on earth. Edit: Ok, the Earth's atmosphere is already vaporized, how about blown away.

See This New Snapshot of the Brightest Space Explosion Ever Witnessed

VolvoHeretic
3/29/23 9:08 p.m.

To go along with the photo above, here is the History Channel episode about gamma ray bursts and what would happen if one occurred near Earth.

VolvoHeretic
4/6/23 10:07 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/7/23 11:50 p.m.

Supernova Cassiopeia A as seen through the Hubble and James Webb telescopes. Yahoo.com: See How Different This Supernova Looks to Webb Versus Hubble

Cassiopeia A (MIRI Image)

Hubble

Webb

VolvoHeretic
4/8/23 3:16 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/8/23 7:25 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/8/23 7:33 a.m.

James Webb

Yahoo.com: James Webb Space Telescope spots the Cosmic Seahorse through a gravitational lens

Edit: you can kind of see in the above photo the Cosmic Web that binds all of the galaxies and galaxy clusters onto interconnecting strings separated by large swaths of void.

Universe.Nasa.Gov: Galaxies

VolvoHeretic
4/8/23 5:19 p.m.

Not Webb, but still cool from the Chandra Xray telescope: (Nasa.Gov:) Nutron Pulsar Vela (High Resolution Image) (bottom photo) inside (Nasa.gov:) Vela Supernova Remnant Nebula. The nebula is about 1000 light years away and measures something like 100 light years across. (middle photo)

The red giant (Wikipedia.org:) Betelgeuse in the Orion Constellation is about 600 light years away and is getting ready to blow and go supernova maybe in the next 10,000 years. (bottom photo)

Red Giant Betelgeuse in Orion (upper left)

VolvoHeretic
4/9/23 1:11 a.m.

(Nasa.gov): Hubble Sees Possible Runaway Black Hole Creating a Trail of Stars

(Yahoo.com): Runaway supermassive black hole is hurtling through space followed by tail of infant stars (video)

"A runaway supermassive black hole ejected from its own galaxy, possibly in a tussle with two other black holes, is being trailed by a 200,000 light-year-long chain of infant stars, a new study reports."

So, if the black hole can travel the distance between the Earth and the Moon in 14 minutes, and the Moon is 238,855 miles away, how many miles/hour is the black hole going? 1,023,664 miles/hour?

VolvoHeretic
4/14/23 11:17 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/23 11:23 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

(Nasa.gov): Hubble Sees Possible Runaway Black Hole Creating a Trail of Stars

(Yahoo.com): Runaway supermassive black hole is hurtling through space followed by tail of infant stars (video)

"A runaway supermassive black hole ejected from its own galaxy, possibly in a tussle with two other black holes, is being trailed by a 200,000 light-year-long chain of infant stars, a new study reports."

So, if the black hole can travel the distance between the Earth and the Moon in 14 minutes, and the Moon is 238,855 miles away, how many miles/hour is the black hole going? 1,023,664 miles/hour?

Speed is relative.  

VolvoHeretic
4/14/23 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

lol. That's why I had to convert it into mph, something that is relative to me and I can relate to. Of course, my math could be wrong.

VolvoHeretic
4/15/23 12:17 a.m.

X-ray view of an Ultra Luminous Neutron Star.

Yahoo.com: Bizarre object 10 million times brighter than the sun defies physics, NASA says

Edit: I don't know if the above is actually a real photo or just an illustration. Below is the best I can find on the web.

Nasa.Gov: Starburst Galaxy M82

VolvoHeretic
4/15/23 6:55 p.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/19/23 3:57 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/25/23 11:57 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-delivers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

Full release of photos to start tomorrow at 9:45 (talking about it) and picture release starting at 10:30
How to watch in this link https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-updates-coverage-for-webb-telescope-s-first-images-reveal

This video puts into perspective just how far out Webb can see.

VolvoHeretic
4/26/23 12:11 a.m.
VolvoHeretic
4/26/23 11:30 p.m.

Not Webb: First ever radio telescope view of galaxy M87's super massive black hole consuming matter and shooting out jets of material at near light speed. M87 is one of the largest and most massive elliptical galaxys in our local group.

Yahoo.com: Scientists Capture First Ever Image of Black Hole Shooting a Jet (with video)

en.Wikipedia.org: Messier 87

Hubble M87

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
70CXqrSkzpZWT1r964iiA3vQLOsDyjI9ifPf3y3nPaiLYC12Sr9d3Nl86NymUlwF