1 2 3 ... 11
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/15 12:08 p.m.

Apparently not for making another offensive joke as you might expect, but for a 'fracas with a producer'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
3/10/15 12:17 p.m.

It was only a matter of time. The BBC has too much riding on the show to cancel it altogether. If he doesn't come (isn't allowed) back they'll try and soldier on, but it will be tough to keep the fan base.

Here's another article, which lists his previous sins but doesn't give any more information about the "fracas."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11462167/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-from-Top-Gear.html

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/15 12:19 p.m.

Oops. He IS the show, they'll figure out a way to make it work. But he'll probably end up with less freedom.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/10/15 12:20 p.m.

Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. I always assumed he had some sort of magical free pass. Without him, nobody will ever watch that show, good, bad or indifferent.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/15 12:21 p.m.

Anybody who doesn't think this is a publicity stunt? This season is the best in a couple years so far, but the show in general is clearly flagging.

Keith Tanner
3/10/15 12:22 p.m.

Top Gear is like SNL, it's never as good as it once was - according to people who watch it without fail.

Keith Tanner
3/10/15 12:24 p.m.

BTW, do you notice that Top Gear will not be broadcast this week? That's not a publicity stunt.

Thank goodness it didn't happen last week. If the MX-5 segment hadn't aired, the Miata online community would have had a stroke.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/10/15 12:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Oops. He IS the show, they'll figure out a way to make it work. But he'll probably end up with less freedom.

This, it wasn't nearly as good until he took the reigns.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/10/15 12:31 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: It was only a matter of time. The BBC has too much riding on the show to cancel it altogether. If he doesn't come (isn't allowed) back they'll try and soldier on, but it will be tough to keep the fan base. Here's another article, which lists his previous sins but doesn't give any more information about the "fracas." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11462167/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-from-Top-Gear.html

He has a lot of cache/clout in being the star and main attraction on the show with the biggest TV audience... in the world.

I won't assume they'd be crazy enough to fire him, but who knows?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/10/15 12:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: BTW, do you notice that Top Gear will not be broadcast this week? That's not a publicity stunt.

I suspect that this is true. And I don't think he'll be back, based on what happened last year--didn't they say, one more incident and he's fired? Not knowing what a "fracas" is, but guessing it is physical confrontation--it doesn't look good to me from the information that I have.

Now, it could come out that the producer insulted Clarkson's wife and daughters, and they deem whatever the fracas was to be a reasonable result. But I highly doubt anything like that will come out. Especially since the producer wasn't suspended.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/10/15 12:43 p.m.

I'll say it. In a position where it is basically his job to walk the bleeding edge of insulting every ethnic group and nationality and country and automaker every day, it would be supremely tough to know where the real line was.

I feel bad for him. He had the best job in the world.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/10/15 12:50 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Here's another article, which lists his previous sins but doesn't give any more information about the "fracas." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11462167/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-from-Top-Gear.html

Those are pretty weaksauce 'sins' compared to the numerous abuse/drugs/illegal sex scandals that have ensnared other BBC productions. This drama is good for ratings and Top Gear has been one of the BBC's most popular show for years.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/10/15 12:53 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Apparently not for making another offensive joke as you might expect, but for a 'fracas with a producer' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

He's been riding the edge for a while now, i'm sure the "fracas" with the producer was about the accumulation of all the E36 M3 that's been going on.

I'm sure James May or Richard Hammond could take the lead role and they could bring someone in like Chris Harris. The show will eventually have new hosts even naturally it's only a matter of time.

This, it wasn't nearly as good until he took the reigns

The format before was completely different. It switched from a car show to an entertainment show. If they find someone who is into cars, can drive, and is or can be reasonably funny they have the format where they could find success now.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/10/15 1:05 p.m.

All they need to do is find a comedian who likes cars and likes poking fun of Americans, yet loves all things America.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/10/15 1:08 p.m.

I'll take his job. Get paid a lot of money to hoon about in exotic cars, travel to all corners of the world, and meet with the hottest celebrities of the moment. Sounds like a rough life.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
3/10/15 1:09 p.m.

I've posted this on another forum - they need Chris Harris ( Youtube )

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/10/15 1:10 p.m.

January 2011 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots."

Bahahaha.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/10/15 1:15 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Apparently not for making another offensive joke as you might expect, but for a 'fracas with a producer' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040
He's been riding the edge for a while now, i'm sure the "fracas" with the producer was about the accumulation of all the E36 M3 that's been going on. I'm sure James May or Richard Hammond could take the lead role and they could bring someone in like Chris Harris. The show will eventually have new hosts even naturally it's only a matter of time.
This, it wasn't nearly as good until he took the reigns
The format before was completely different. It switched from a car show to an entertainment show. If they find someone who is into cars, can drive, and is or can be reasonably funny they have the format where they could find success now.

Harris is the obvious choice, but he's not funny per se.

I'd love to see it go back to being more of a car show than a "challenge" show, but I'm not ready to give up Clarkson.

The next week should be interesting.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/10/15 1:17 p.m.

So can Jeremy take over the American version of Top Gear and get rid of those 3 idiots.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/10/15 1:27 p.m.

A real car show...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/10/15 1:27 p.m.

My secondary backup theory is that Clarkson is getting old and tired and wants to retire, but he doesn't want to be seen as the evil one who killed the show and/or wimped out by voluntarily quitting.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
3/10/15 1:32 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: I've posted this on another forum - they need Chris Harris ( Youtube )

Berkely Chris Harris. Snooty stuck up twat IMO.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/10/15 1:42 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: So can Jeremy take over the American version of Top Gear and get rid of those 3 idiots.

too bad that show is also a BBC production with the same top level producers..

how about a show on a channel like Velocity with Jeremy Clarkson, Jay Leno, and Adam Carolla.. similar to UKTG, but slightly different..

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/10/15 1:47 p.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't like top gear in large part because of Clarkson?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/10/15 1:50 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

That would get shut down within an hour or so due to lack of political correctness.....

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zbfcKGkb560KyyD5tjv28QfgOLRYJ6ciuK79oxLvb1yJjWg3qJRmP0cWdgskQTPC