wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/16/19 1:58 p.m.

Just got the report on why my wives beetle died and it was rats chewing on the wiring in the car. Did a quick sweep and all of my cars that sit outside have mice in them. I have blasted them out with the pressure washer but I would like to keep them from coming back. 

So what keeps them away. I don;t mind killing them but we have a very large population of hawks around the house and I don;t want to move the poison up the food chain. ALso killing them with my 22lr is not going to happen inside of city limits. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/16/19 2:19 p.m.

Keep the engine running?

Cats?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/19 2:30 p.m.

We vacuumed a mouse nest off the intake of the charger and they have chewed up the fuzzy battery covers on my truck.  In for ideas, also not going to poison them because of the amount of raptors and vultures around 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/19 2:37 p.m.

How about covering the underbody openings to the engine bay with wire mesh? It would be a pain to do maintenance, but air and dirt could still pass thru. Trying to completely seal the engine bay will be a challenge, since mice/rats can get thru some pretty small gaps.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/19 2:45 p.m.

Go online and search honda rat tape 

No Time
No Time Dork
7/16/19 2:53 p.m.

Peppermint oil is supposed to keep them away. 

I use it on rags to keep them out of the snowmobiles, campers, etc. Rewet rags occasionally to keep it effective  

Seems to work well enough (no mice), and doesn’t leave dead mice full of poison around. 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
7/16/19 3:08 p.m.

I have had good results with Fresh Cab Repellant (contains peppermint oil) for keeping them out, but it might not work if they are already established and nested.

My most recently purchased car came with mice. After moving it in the garage I used a shop vac to clean up what I thought were empty nests. A couple days later I found a bunch of baby mice living in my shop vac.

I have Fresh Cab in the car now under the dash and in the engine compartment. I'm pretty sure that Caesar has taken care of the last mouse that had migrated from the car to the garage.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/16/19 3:11 p.m.

The Maine Coon's keep the garage and house clean. Our newest girl is a mouser and at almost 24lb's she is a killing machine.  But a show cat not a outdoor mouser. 

AAZD I am going to buy that and the honda tape and see what it does. If not I am going to go adopt the nastiest barn cat I can find and he can kill them all. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/19 5:35 p.m.

One of my neighbours got lucky and had rodent damage that cost $300. The dealer reccomended  moth balls on the wheels because they climb the wheel then into the engine bay. The mothballs go in old socks, and when you park the socks go on the wheels.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
7/17/19 12:18 p.m.

Irish Spring bar soap. Put a bunch in, on, and around your cars, on a piece of plastic - baggie, garbage bag, sheet, etc. 

Smells better than moth balls, and still works. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 5:44 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

Irish Spring bar soap. Put a bunch in, on, and around your cars, on a piece of plastic - baggie, garbage bag, sheet, etc. 

Smells better than moth balls, and still works. 

This.  I’ve been showering with Irish Spring for about 35 years now and have not had mice living on me at any time.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/18/19 6:01 p.m.

Any idea for snap trap bait ?

My mice and rats are too high class for Peanut Butter !

plus there is a nice big avocado tree in the front yard so they always have a choice :)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/18/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Nutella

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/19/19 7:22 a.m.

When i park my motorglider, I put a 10” tall hoop of aluminum flashing around each wheel to keep the nosey buggers from climbing in.  

Cut  25” long piece and clip it to itself with binder clips.  PITA for a car, but it’s worked so far.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
7/15/22 9:19 a.m.

As others have suggested - soap. I had a '65 Belvedere that had been parked for about 20 years, it had a bar of soap under the intake manifold  and no rodent damage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/22 10:25 a.m.
914Driver said:

When i park my motorglider, I put a 10” tall hoop of aluminum flashing around each wheel to keep the nosey buggers from climbing in.  

Cut  25” long piece and clip it to itself with binder clips.  PITA for a car, but it’s worked so far.

All I'm thinking of now is the aircraft mechanics squawk list that's been floating around the internet since forever.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/18/22 7:50 a.m.

It's possible that Irish Spring soap, Bounce dryer sheets, or mothballs may work for a very limited period of time but none of them are real solutions, the smell wears off in a couple weeks and then they do no good.  I've seen the soap bars with mice teeth marks in them and nests made from chewed up dryer sheets.  Mothballs were an effective solution decades ago but the ingredients were changed.

The absence of mice isn't necessarily proof that any of these things are actually repelling them, it just means no mice have moved in.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/22 1:01 p.m.

Moth balls?

But all I really have is:

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/18/22 10:12 p.m.

I've left Irish Spring soap in my car during the off season,  and months later when we opened the doors, boy did it smell.
Granted, I had a bar under the hood, a bar on the console, and the last bar back in the hatch area.

After leaving the windows open for a couple days, the smell was gone.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/22 8:17 p.m.

Well, now that we know how to get rats and mice out from underhood, how do we keep the cat out from under the hood?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9wi98Nb8mEvVEGYlhML646eFTluGT0R6Fkb8g6oXRBab6tChhRzW1dBUQb5tugDG