1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/26/13 12:59 p.m.

I am definitely going to listen to this on my road trip tomorrow.

This thread also reminded me that I will soon be 30. Weird.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/13 1:15 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: If a gang of Converse wearing people and a gang of Vans wearing people meet in the street is there some sort of hipster/punk/skater version of West Side Story?

No, but if you buy Vans you have to start listening to Rage Against the Machine.

And I don't like atonal political ranting over a single riff repeated for three minutes.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/26/13 1:41 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Have no fear, one of the guys still knows what metal should sound like: http://youtu.be/DCI7rRT93wE

he wasn't on Kill Em All... i don't think he was even in Flotsam and Jetsam at that time...

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
7/26/13 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Rage Against the Machine looks good on paper but is a contradiction in a way. A band ranting about anti-government and anti-political subjects being on a major corporate label. Nonetheless, their first album was really good music wise but Zach's voice can get on my nerves after a little while. RATM was better with Chris Cornell on vocals commonly known as Audioslave.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/13 2:31 p.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

chris cornell on vocals would make almost any band sound better. temple of the dog has been in power rotation in my life since i picked it up about 21 years ago!

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
7/26/13 2:42 p.m.

That is a very underrated album. It is a shame the only song you hear from it on the radio is Hunger Strike. There are some other great songs buried on that album.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/13 3:23 p.m.

call me a dog is the one that does it for me, but all night thing used to go onto every mix tape i made back then.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/26/13 4:55 p.m.

Agreed. Temple of the Dog is arguably one of the best blues albums of all time. Part of me wishes they would get together again, but part of what made that record special was why they wrote those songs and their emotional state at the time. Every song is awesome.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/26/13 7:33 p.m.

Matt Cameron is the man; when I was reading the liner notes on the Geddy Lee cd I was amazed to see he was he drummer.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/26/13 9:33 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to 92dxman: chris cornell on vocals would make almost any band sound better. temple of the dog has been in power rotation in my life since i picked it up about 21 years ago!

Except when they go to play live. I don't know if Cornell is tone-deaf or just doesn't care, but he's unlistenable live. See also: Anthony Kiedis.

That said: The first four Soundgarden records? Especially Badmotorfinger? Gamechangers.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/27/13 12:09 a.m.
92dxman wrote: In reply to Knurled: Rage Against the Machine looks good on paper but is a contradiction in a way. A band ranting about anti-government and anti-political subjects being on a major corporate label. Nonetheless, their first album was really good music wise but Zach's voice can get on my nerves after a little while. RATM was better with Chris Cornell on vocals commonly known as Audioslave.

they were, like, fighting the machine from the inside, man.

that band was (is??) a great rhythm section with an annoying guitar player and "singer"..

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/27/13 1:12 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Have no fear, one of the guys still knows what metal should sound like: http://youtu.be/DCI7rRT93wE
he wasn't on Kill Em All... i don't think he was even in Flotsam and Jetsam at that time...

I'm well aware he wasn't on Kill 'Em All, I'm one of the few folks that likes him better than Cliff.

Cliff Burton = I have a bass guitar and a wah pedal, wanna hear a solo?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/13 5:09 a.m.

During the Orion fest, Metallica came on a side stage under a fake name and played Kill Em All from start to finish. Liquid Metal (Sirius satellite channel) replayed it a couple times the following weekend. It was pretty awesome!

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/27/13 8:47 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: call me a dog is the one that does it for me, but all night thing used to go onto every mix tape i made back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzV8Q5zfT24

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/27/13 9:00 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
I'm well aware he wasn't on Kill 'Em All, I'm one of the few folks that likes him better than Cliff. Cliff Burton = I have a bass guitar and a wah pedal, wanna hear a solo?

you need to listen to Lightning and Puppets on a stereo with good speakers to really hear the genius of Cliff Burton and get what he brought to the band.. Newsted's a great bass player.. Burton was a bass genius.

Knurled
7/28/13 2:01 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: you need to listen to Lightning and Puppets on a stereo with good speakers to really hear the genius of Cliff Burton and get what he brought to the band.. Newsted's a great bass player.. Burton was a bass genius.

Not just that, but IIRC Burton was also well-educated in music theory and was a large chunk of their music's general awesomeness. He wasn't just the guy playing bass.

As a rule of thumb, anything off of KEA/Lightning/Puppets sounds good played by an orchestra, later works not so much.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/28/13 5:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
novaderrik wrote: you need to listen to Lightning and Puppets on a stereo with good speakers to really hear the genius of Cliff Burton and get what he brought to the band.. Newsted's a great bass player.. Burton was a bass genius.
Not just that, but IIRC Burton was also well-educated in music theory and was a large chunk of their music's general awesomeness. He wasn't just the guy playing bass. As a rule of thumb, anything off of KEA/Lightning/Puppets sounds good played by an orchestra, later works not so much.

he didn't have much to do with the songs on Kill Em All- he added a bunch to them musically, but they are still just loud songs played fast... but he was the main reason why Lightning was such a big step forward for the band- he was there from the beginning of the process and helped them get the epic sound that they heads become a reality, while still keeping the raw aggression intact.. Puppets is just a masterpiece because all 4 members were really able to actually play their instruments and they were more used to playing with each other..

i'll disagree about the later stuff not being good with the Orchestra- Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, and Hero of the Day were pretty damn epic with the orchestra..

Knurled
7/28/13 6:04 p.m.

I'm not speaking of the S&M performance, I just mean in general.

I see bands like Metallica as the masters of our age. Much like people will continually play Beethoven and Mozart and such until the end of time, so will people cover the likes of Metallica and Black Sabbath.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/28/13 7:43 p.m.

they said that they specifically didn't play anything of Kill Em All with the orchestra because they couldn't put together anything that sounded "right" because the songs just weren't written with that kind of mindset.. but everything after that is fair game for the orchestra treatment thanks to the influence of Cliff..

Knurled
7/28/13 8:09 p.m.

Huh. I mean, I knew that many of the songs were written before Cliff joined the band but it never really "clicked" that he didn't have much influence on the songwriting yet.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h3s6CapL22ylmlq2SeIBox6DqIok9aOnsdBGiJVfoi74VKUcILQ8mZxFyjCY0nkK