David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/17/13 10:09 a.m.

Just received this from an aol address:

For the past weeks, facebook was hacked so we require you to install the attached app. This will initiate a safe connection to our network and you will be safe.

We are trying to reach all our members in no time but we have limited emailing capacity. We will be very thankful if you will send the attached file to your contacts and family immediately

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/13 10:11 a.m.

I wonder how many they'll hook by not going on about offshore accounts and family fortunes or exiled princes...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/17/13 10:12 a.m.

But look at all teh sheeple that will gobble that up as truth....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/17/13 10:15 a.m.

My cousin is a Nigerian prince!

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/17/13 10:17 a.m.

What we should do is send it to all of our contacts and instruct everyone to reply to his email address.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/17/13 10:28 a.m.

Lately Facebook has been asking for my phone number when I log on to make my account "more secure".

Yeah, right.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/17/13 10:36 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Lately Facebook has been asking for my phone number when I log on to make my account "more secure". Yeah, right.

Gmail wants me to do that too. My shiny metal ass, I will.

David's spam is almost as bad as the Amish Computer Virus that was making the rounds a few years ago.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/17/13 10:51 a.m.
Duke wrote: My shiny metal ass, I will.

Say what?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/13 10:55 a.m.

Actually, two-factor authorization using your phone is an excellent way to make your Gmail more secure.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
5/17/13 10:57 a.m.
Duke wrote: Gmail wants me to do that too....

That's a second layer verification system. It's actually a good idea to use. I can't use it because Google seems to think that everyone that has a cell phone, uses text messaging.

Securing your primary email account (if gmail is that) is VERY important. Why? Because any password resets you do will generally go through it. If someone gets access to it, they have a much easier time changing all your passwords and accessing any online accounts.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/13 12:32 p.m.

You might be surprised how many people would fall for that.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/13 12:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Actually, two-factor authorization using your phone is an excellent way to make your Gmail more secure.

This. Unless you have a habit of constantly losing your phone(s).

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/13 4:00 p.m.

Maybe it's just because I'm almost through with this bottle of homebrew wine of mine, but it seems like there should be something fun we could do with that e-mail address...?

Unfortunately I'm a horribly unimaginative prankster (and currently semi-tanked).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/17/13 4:28 p.m.

Good point. I removed the address since it's most likely someone's hacked account.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/13 5:36 p.m.

probably somebody who fell for it and enabled the "add on"

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/17/13 5:39 p.m.

Please god don't let my mom get that email. Not in the mood to fix computers this weekend.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/20/13 3:25 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Lately Facebook has been asking for my phone number when I log on to make my account "more secure". Yeah, right.

give this one 202-456-1414 (it's the White House switchboard)

Mental
Mental PowerDork
5/23/13 6:57 a.m.
Lesley wrote:
Duke wrote: My shiny metal ass, I will.
Say what?

Bite My Shiny Metal...

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
5/23/13 9:37 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
Duke wrote: Gmail wants me to do that too....
I can't use it because Google seems to think that everyone has a cell phone.

Fixed that for me. I had to borrow a friend's cell just to create a fake facebook account. Bastards.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbfTjbLKCt12YjjsQg5tUBQO3GHUMu7eteeyc5jvuJhaJaZdVAX2o4ixUXR7Gg2m