1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/20 7:18 p.m.

It's been 6 or so years since I last was in Greenville, but I know it a little bit. The long and the short of it is after brewing 2 60 barrel batches at the brewery today, I was called into the office and asked if I'd be interested in talking about the future and plans. Max and Ian were promptly called. The long and the short of it is that we've been interested on the distillery side in opening up a spot in Asheville. There's a brewery that has a common interest, but doesn't have the experience. So the plan would be that I go down to assist in setting up the barrel house operations in Asheville, then when that's operational and running smoothly for 6 months to a year, that I'd shift focus to getting a brewery up and running in Greenville, SC and thereafter split time between the two. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/1/20 7:40 p.m.

I think Asheville is the Portland/Austin of the east coast.  Its weird.  In an awesome way.  

Downtown is pretty cool.  The surrounding outdoors area is gorgeous.  The mountain biking is to die for.  The comment most people here will tell you regarding it is you need to "bring your own job".  And since you have that covered, go for it :P

Other than that, I don't know much about it.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/20 7:52 p.m.

Hello, I have lived in the Asheville area since 2005.  It is the most expensive place to live in the state with the worst job market in the state.  Do not live in Buncombe County or Henderson County, live in Haywood County.   Buncombe and Henderson are emissions counties but Haywood is not, so you just have to pass a safety inspection.

They have a non SCCA affiliated group that runs autocross at the WNC AG center and the swain county law enforcement training center.

If you are bringing a job to Asheville, you should be fine. If you have a significant other, the job market really sucks.

Greenville has a good job market and would be Central Carolinas Region SCCA or Atlanta Region.

I can try to answer any other questions.

MrChaos
1/1/20 7:59 p.m.

I am friends with the Autocross chair for the Highlands Sports Car Club he runs a miata specialty shop and will work on modified cars. They are the local autocross groups, non scca affiliated but use their classing. A lot of people will also run CCR SCCA since they usually run at Z maxx or Carolina Motorsports park which arnt that far away..

MrChaos
1/1/20 8:03 p.m.

Also politics if that matters to you. Asheville is a very blue city surrounded by a very red area.  We also do get snow here, and most areas are usually able to deal with it. 

MrChaos
1/1/20 8:09 p.m.

also Ashevilles craigslist is crap, you would user greenville/spartanburgs or Atlantas or Knoxvilles.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/1/20 8:17 p.m.
MrChaos said:

also Ashevilles craigslist is crap, you would user greenville/spartanburgs or Atlantas or Knoxvilles.

Facebook marketplace is best

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/1/20 8:20 p.m.

You want to live between Asheville and Greenville? For SC, go live in Spartanburg or Landrum. If you prefer NC side, try Tryon or Hendersonville. 

MrChaos
1/1/20 8:23 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

You want to live between Asheville and Greenville? For SC, go live in Spartanburg or Landrum. If you prefer NC side, try Tryon or Hendersonville. 

Hendersonville is Asheville-lite pricing and selling time-wise.but 26 is ass, live east or west of Asheville, not north or south.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/20 8:40 p.m.

Let me know if you move there. I'd love to meet you and discuss mutual interest. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/1/20 9:38 p.m.

I don’t have a lot to add except downtown Greenville has really boomed in the last 15-20 years.  Lots to do but it can get crowded.  Not as weird as Asheville.  

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/1/20 10:01 p.m.

I've been wanting to check out that area for years now, it's gonna be a long time before I can relocate now (divorce/kid/split custody) but I want to someday. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/20 10:59 p.m.

My wife grew up in Waynesville. Haywood county, west of Asheville. We used to get up there quite a bit when her parents were alive. It's a lovely area.

I got an idea that I wanted to live there, so in the spring of 2006, we sold our house in Bradenton for a nice profit and moved. We were back in Florida in a year, broke. My wife calls that, "Our year of bad decisions."

I was frequently asked, "You're not from around here are you?" 

It would be a great place to retire, or as is said here, if you can bring your own job.

It's not my intention to have my own experience reflect upon your chances of enjoying it there. My job sucked.

I hope it goes well for you.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 8:13 a.m.

It's growing as more and more people decide to retire to the area, but it's still a pretty small place to live.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/20 8:34 a.m.

This is actually of interest as Im deep into the interview cycle to cover a client based in Greenville.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/2/20 8:36 a.m.

I've lived in Asheville since 1997 and really can't add anything that MrChaos hasn't already stated.  I-26 is about to be widened so the already crappy traffic is going to get worse, though it is possible to avoid it all togther.  My father in law lives in Canton, and my wife is from there.  It is possible to live there and not smell the paper mill.  Also NC just passed rolling emissions state wide, so anything 20 years or older just needs safety inspection.  It is a great spot for motorsports being between 3 regions (ETR, CCR, SCR), plus locals like Highlands Sports Car Club and Clemson Sports Car Club plus only 3 hours from Atlanta.  Brewing, the hospital, and the school system are the largest employers in Buncombe Co.

I've spent some time in Greenville, and other than SC schools and roads, I'd look there and commute up the mountain. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 9:07 a.m.

Oh- if you like fishing there are muskellunge in the French Broad, too!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/20 9:19 a.m.

Just commenting so I can find this easily in the future. Mrs. Racetruck and I have been looking to relocate to the Greenville/Anderson SC area in the next few years.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
1/2/20 12:40 p.m.

We live in Henderson County near the Asheville Airport.  Chrispy and I are active in the local autocross community.  

This job opportunity sounds like a great gig!  I would go for it!  You might find you will like it here in western NC or upstate SC better than Maryland.

Good descriptions of the local area have been made in previous posts.  I moved to this area from Massachusetts in 1990.  This is home!

Let us know when you're coming to town!wink

MrChaos
1/2/20 12:54 p.m.

I probably need to bring the N or whatever I pick up for rallycross out to autocross sometime this year. I talked to Daniel about stuff on friday and got a ride in his exocet.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/2/20 2:11 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

My wife grew up in Waynesville. Haywood county, west of Asheville. We used to get up there quite a bit when her parents were alive. It's a lovely area.

I got an idea that I wanted to live there, so in the spring of 2006, we sold our house in Bradenton for a nice profit and moved. We were back in Florida in a year, broke. My wife calls that, "Our year of bad decisions."

I was frequently asked, "You're not from around here are you?" 

It would be a great place to retire, or as is said here, if you can bring your own job.

It's not my intention to have my own experience reflect upon your chances of enjoying it there. My job sucked.

I hope it goes well for you.

I'm a Medford, your wife and I are probably related if her family has been there a few generations. I still own a house in west Waynesville. Ditto on the job situation sucking around there. Great place to visit, but even already owning a house I don't want to live there.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/2/20 3:07 p.m.

This might be important to know. Gas is always cheaper in SC vs NC. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
1/2/20 8:06 p.m.

They'll call you Yankee in Greenville. Asheville they won't. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/3/20 8:18 a.m.

We lived in the Tigerville, SC area for 5 years or so, before moving to Maryland for my job.  My in-laws still live in the Greenville-Spartanburg area.   We just got back from visiting down there for Christmas.  My wife and I love the area- Tigerville was a cool little spot just south of the NC border with mountains, low population density, good weather, and low cost of living.  Yet still somewhat close to Greenville and Asheville.  

Greenville is definitely booming.  The traffic can be difficult and they haven't managed the growth particularly well on the infrastructure side.  

Tryon (NC) and Landrum (SC) are really nice areas.  SC get my nod due to lower taxes and regulations in general, cheaper gas, cheaper land, etc.  No vehicular inspections on anything, no trailer plates required, etc.  

Jobs were available, at least in our area, but in my field Maryland was just a better fit.  We still talk about buying some property down there for...someday....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/3/20 8:29 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Oh- if you like fishing there are muskellunge in the French Broad, too!

I had no idea.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aqnv0dQaLsCMo2JQGrdMo855RIQdU9p0FQ05dMi8aswp3CTujhWq76gkEVaV7p42