1 2
Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/15/24 9:12 a.m.

Last night our cooktop bit the dust so I need to start shopping for a new one. I am going to go to the big box store tonight to see what they have in stock but before I go what do I need to know? Should I spend more and get a 5-burner model or is 4 enough? Any brands I should avoid? We have been buying Whirlpool stuff as the older stuff goes just because that is what was the best value but we are not set on brands. 

Big question, should I go to an induction cooktop? Pros/cons?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/15/24 9:21 a.m.

I've heard some not-so-nice things about Samsung appliances, but, other than that, I'm not too certain.

I'd also like to hear opinions on induction cooktops.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
10/15/24 9:30 a.m.

I have traveled in Europe quite a bit staying at Air BNB and such.  Virtually every place has had an induction stovetop and they are fantastic.  Why they are not more popular in the US is a mystery.  You do need cookware that is compatible since it must have ferric content to work, but that isn't a big deal.  The heat control is astonishing, as is the speed to heat and the energy delivered.  It takes a fraction of the time to heat several quarts of water with induction compared to the gas stovetop we have at home.  I'm seriously considering replacing my gas with an induction just because of the performance.  Definitely worth serious consideration.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 9:39 a.m.

This ^^

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/15/24 9:40 a.m.

Isn't an induction cooktop like 5x more expensive than a regular smoothtop electric?  Might go a good ways towards explaining their relative scarcity in the US. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
10/15/24 9:47 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

More like 2-3x. But that's kinda like saying "Isn't a Honda more expensive than a Yugo?"

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
10/15/24 9:54 a.m.

This is the one I have at my cabin. I chose it because it still has knobs. Most induction cooktops only have digital controls

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-Professional-36-in-5-Element-Induction-Cooktop-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Bridge-FPIC3677RF/330530458

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/15/24 10:10 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

More like 2-3x. But that's kinda like saying "Isn't a Honda more expensive than a Yugo?"

A Honda is a bit more expensive than a Yugo because it does the job of being a car a little better than a Yugo.  Are you suggesting that an induction cooktop offers 2 to 3 times the utility of a conventional cooktop?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/24 10:12 a.m.

When we remodeled our kitchen we went with a 36" induction range. Our cooktop has 5 burners and it is nice when you are cooking. Pay attention when you are looking at the 4/5 burner option because many of the 5 burner tops only have 4 true burners and one warming burner. 

Check your current range wiring amperage and make sure it is adequate for whatever you are considering. Our old radiant cooktop was a 30amp circuit and the new range required upgrading to a 50amp circuit. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
10/15/24 10:13 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

A Honda is a bit more expensive than a Yugo because it does the job of being a car a little better than a Yugo.  Are you suggesting that an induction cooktop offers 2 to 3 times the utility of a conventional cooktop?

A little better? I used that analogy because I think that a Honda is 3 times the car that a Yugo is. But that's getting off track.

As far as cooktops go, I might consider electric resistance because I'm a mediocre cook. Ask any really good cook (like my wife), and they will probably tell you that Induction is worth every penny.

The Frigidaire I showed above is for sale at $1,250, which is actually less than I paid for one last year.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 10:14 a.m.

I made an island that has an induction cooktop on it.   It's pretty fantastic, and as mentioned, heads up a skillet or water WAY faster than our classic style electric cooktop on the stove.    It'a also handy to have a separate warming station for parties, get togethers, etc.   It probably doesn't help your specific problem, I bought the best 120V one I could find, which is fairly limiting:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019KZXVHE/

We're definitely considering switching to one of those when/if that oven ever kicks it.

Chris Tropea
10/15/24 10:17 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

That is a really good point, I am definitely going to check the circuit to make sure I don't make a fun mistake like that. 

Chris Tropea
10/15/24 10:48 a.m.

Okay so I might be interested in moving to induction, the cost is not too crazy over a radiant model. 

Is there something I am missing on this Thor Kitchen model as to why its cheaper than other brands? 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/24 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

The Thor seems to have decent reviews. Looks like an inexpensive way to try induction.

The circuit upgrade wasn't a huge deal with us as we were doing a major remodel. That load-bearing, concrete block wall went away to allow us to reorient the kitchen. With the ceiling opened up the new run to the breaker box was easy.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/24 11:02 a.m.

I love induction as stated in this previous GRM thread where you will find to search Amazon for really inexpensive "international brands" that you've never heard of. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 11:54 a.m.

The main reason I don't do induction is because some of my favorite pans won't work on induction.  In my case, I wouldn't mind ditching those pans and getting ones that work, but for some people it's a deal breaker.

I've had two flat-top radiant stoves (they came with the houses) and I absolutely detest them.  They take forever to heat anything, and they stay screaming hot for an hour after you turn them off.  I want my heat changes to be instant, and the only way to do that is gas.

My next stove will be gas or induction, with a big preference to gas.  I know... environmental downsides, but my area's electric is mostly fossil fuel generated anyway.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 12:03 p.m.

I absolutely hate both the glass and coil electrics, but we'll probably switch to induction when our gas stove dies. Faster boiling, just as instant heat control, and I think less problems with burner sizes depending on what you get (since a big burner still only heats where a small pan is in the field). I'll miss the visual flame reference, but how the food is behaving is really the thing...

Which it will (die, that is), because it's a Samsung. Five years ago we outfitted our freshly remodeled house with Samsung appliances. The dishwasher leaked and had to be replaced, the fridge no longer dispenses ice (and hasn't for at least three years), and the stove was out of commission for months while we waited for main relay boards to go back into production. Ours arrived pretty much at the same time as the repaired original, but at least we have a spare...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/15/24 12:05 p.m.

I've used them all - I grew up with flattop electrics. In college I had coil electrics. I have gas in my house because that's what it came with. My mom has induction now. 

For cooking... Induction >= high end gas > low end gas >= high end electric >>>>>> coiled electric. 

But my overall preference is Induction > High end electric > gas. 

I really love the flattop. It makes it so much easier to clean, it is somehow less cramped, it is just better FOR ME. 

I would say the comparison with a Yugo isn't quite right. It is more like comparing a brand new Nissan Versa to a Lexus LS. The Versa is absolutely adequate at everything you need it to do. The LS is a much better overall experience. Since I use my stove roughly 15 times a week, that is a no brainer if it is in the budget. 

If/when we redo our kitchen, we will get induction. But if the gas stove were to take a E36 M3 today, we'd replace it with another gas stove. 

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
10/15/24 12:53 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I want my heat changes to be instant, and the only way to do that is gas.

Not true.  Induction does exactly that, turn it down/off, the heat instantly changes, similar to gas but actually better and faster since the heat is generated in the pan material itself, not from a flame.  Heat from gas has to transfer through convection and radiation to the pan.   With induction the only thing that gets hot is the pan.   An induction stovetop surface will get warm from convection and radiation from the hot pan sitting on it, but it is orders of magnitude less than that from a flat-top electric coil stove.  They are really pretty amazing once you get used to it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/24 1:13 p.m.

We switched from a gas to induction range a few months ago. I am amazed at how much faster it is, both for heating the pan and how instantly it responds when you turn it down or off. 

A good example of how it only heats the pan: I dropped a piece of sliced cheese on the glass cooktop about an inch from the edge of my 14 inch cast iron skillet while cooking. The cheese didn't melt, in fact I picked it up with my fingers. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to stukndapast :

So true!

Also, if you have little ones in the house...no hand burning hot surface!  When the recipe says, "remove pan from the heat" all you have to o do is turn off...there is no remaining heat!

Also, zero risk of grease fire from splatter.

Now that I have a gas stove again, having grown up on gas....I hate how much a pot of water on a gas stove heats up the room.  Partial from how damn long it takes for the gas to really boil the water but also that the pot and everything near it is getting hot.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Yes.  Yes it does.  I thought it was silly. Then I bought one. And I'm never going back. 

Highkigjts: temp control very precise and heat up cool down is rapid unlike a regular electric cooktop.  The cooktop also dissent get so hot so no more baked on mess when a pot boils over.  Safer with kids.   Did I mention it's fast. Will boil water way quicker than the other electric stove.  Indoor air quality is supposedly better than gas. But man I dunno yet. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-health-risks-of-gas-stoves-explained/

Cons: a couple old pans didn't work with it so I had to replace them.  But this could be a pro as we went with all stainless or cast iron now.  We don't trust non stick after we heard about what 3m did to the water in Woodbury Minnesota. Also a few pans with looser handles will sometimes rattle on very high temp settings on the stove.  

my induction and stove combo was $700. It's a lower end fridgiedairw and it's great. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/24 1:18 p.m.

Someone else's classic Induction "tricks" video 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/15/24 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Thanks for the info.  $700 sounds more than reasonable.  I'll likely be looking to replace a 22-year old GE Profile range/oven soon, and I'll certainly consider Induction.

Edit:  $700??  You stole it!

Checking the costco website, cheapest option is almost twice that.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Appologies for the terrible formatting and spelling. I was writing that in an airport shuttle bus. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSXm7xPatUsWWJ8sZA73FZf07alSnFPSopbNYxgNOqMjZ4j4wJ7aPCTNArOiAiNd