1 2
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Appologies for the terrible formatting and spelling. I was writing that in an airport shuttle bus. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/24 2:20 p.m.

Induction is now eligible for Federal Incentives also...

https://www.energy.gov/save/home-upgrades

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/15/24 7:49 p.m.

I was always a gas guy, always hated electric.  The apartment we're in now has an induction top and it's great.  My only complaint is that the controls are on the front of a flat glass top and when I put a pan or tray or whatever on the controls, it freaks out and turns on/off multiple burners and beeps relentlessly at me.  Aside from that it's great and damned fast to get up to temp.  I understand the high end stuff actually has temperature control and I'm lusting over that.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/24 8:36 p.m.

Still rocking a 12-year-old Samsung stove with a standard glass cooktop. Honestly, it's been great. My only issue is that the oven runs about 10-15 degrees cooler than it's set for, but that's easy enough to compensate for. I used to want gas, but now that I've had this thing, I'm over it. It's SO easy to clean, and the speed and control has always been fine for us. That said, when it eventually does die, we'll replace it with an induction model.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 9:52 p.m.

Another vote for induction.

Caution: If you only have an over the range microwave style exhaust hood - be careful and look for a cooktop with the "big" burner in back and thus directly under the vent. 

I also had to install a new 50 amp circuit into my electric panel. Fortunately the panel is in a basement storage room about 8' away and directly below my kitchen. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/16/24 9:08 a.m.

So I did a little more digging into spec sheets and what my house has in it for infrastructure and it looks like I have 2 options. My house only has a 240v 30A breaker for the cooktop so that means I can either have an appliance repair tech come out and diagnose what is wrong with the one I have that was installed in 1997 but worked great up until now. Or I can buy an induction cooktop that takes that size breaker which I have found on sale. 

I think I am going to order the cooktop today since the sale ends tonight and also call an appliance tech to see if its worth saving this one. I think I found the issue and it seems to be that one of the control switches has an issue and that is what caused the magic smoke to escape. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/24 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

Replacing those infinite switches is easy. Is it just one burner that died? 

Chris Tropea
10/16/24 11:09 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

It looks like its just that one switch. I need to dig in a little deeper to see if I see any others that might have issues. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/24 12:09 p.m.

Google the PN on the switch. Shop around a bit and I bet you can find one for a decent price. I replaced a few on our original stove top before we eventually remodeled.

True story, the reason we finally jumped in to the full remodel was the built in microwave over the cooktop died. It was a vintage TV sized microwave and there was no way I was replacing it with another one that size.

Chris Tropea
10/16/24 12:13 p.m.

Ill try to find a part number and see what I can find. 

The reason we upgraded our wall oven is for a similar reason to your full remodel. It was original to the house and at some point the built in microwave broke and the previous owners took it out and shoved a normal one in its place. We found a double wall unit that was a display for 60% off at Lowes and decided it was time to replace the outdated unit. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jYs2FwJzEfDeplA7kYmeZBDIBxRohKNmYcMKGxkMauCugTIwGJF5GHP3o32NJCTv