1 2 3 4 ... 7
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 12:21 p.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

Ask your local police about that. Apparently racking a shotgun is a very effective way to gain control over a situation. We all know what that noise is, and the stakes just changed.

Now, if you're stalking someone in your house for the thrill of the hunt instead of just trying to get them the berkeley out, then by all means go with something stealthy.

With all due respect, the police are going to back whatever tactic ends up with somebody getting robbed instead of somebody getting shot.

If that's not the same as your own priorities, take a good hard look in the mirror.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
10/3/18 12:22 p.m.

I too have the first round loaded in the shotgun a birdshot and increment up from there.  I didn't realize it was as widespread an idea. The more you know.....

Keith Tanner
10/3/18 12:23 p.m.

And my comment was based on statements from police in actual confrontations, not the imaginary sneaky tweaker ghosting around your house. You want someone to stand down, you rack the shotgun to show them you're serious and that it's not worth making more trouble. If that scares someone off, then they're not likely to load up and come back unless they spotted the big piles of gold bars you keep in the living room. Remember, you're just one house.

It's like locking the doors of a convertible - sure, it won't keep someone out, but it will make that car more of a hassle than the car with unlocked doors, so they'll just move on.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/3/18 1:23 p.m.

For a home defense weapon sight, check out the SIG Romeo5.  You can get them on sale for about $130.  Red dot sight, small size, and most important, it turns itself off if there is no movement, then will turn itself back on when you pick it up.  Battery lasts like 5 years.  So, turn it on, put the weapon where you want and leave it there.  It will turn off in a few minutes and turn itself back on when you pick it up.  Works on handguns, long arms.  I've got one on my 300BO pistol.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/3/18 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

interesting. I've gotten used to the one on my AR but turning it on and off is a PITA. It's why I keep the rear sight up with the night ring instead of the normal daytime peep. faster lowlight aquisition and if I remembered to turn on the reddot, then even betterer. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/3/18 1:35 p.m.
NordicSaab said:

Single action revolvers are the safest guns available IMHO....

Interesting suggestion Mr Eastwood.  Do you mean double action? When was the last time a single action revolver was made? (A single action would certainly be VERY safe though, unless if you fan it, then you can hit everything except what you want to hit!)

You might want to get VERY aware of your local laws.  Just talked to an inlaw and he was under the impression that it was legal to shoot someone who is on your property without permission... this is in CALIFORNIA!!!   I told him he is very likely in error and he said his farther told him that... who is also in CA... who apparently has a CC permit... and who is know to be very paranoid about crime!....

I am pretty sure in CA, you have to wait until the knife actually enters your body before you can legally shoot....cheeky

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/3/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It is still very easy to find single action revolvers, the ones that don't cost an arm and a leg are made in Italy.  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/3/18 1:44 p.m.

A Single Action revolver was last made this morning, AC. A bunch of them, good ones, cheap ones, American ones, Italian ones.

Yeah, Bob, I have some red dot sights that you have to remember to turn off.  I hate that.  I always forget to turn them off, then have to go back to the safe and turn them off that night or the next day when I remember.  Can't stand that, which is why I really, really like the Romeo5. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/3/18 1:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

Ask your local police about that. Apparently racking a shotgun is a very effective way to gain control over a situation. We all know what that noise is, and the stakes just changed.

Now, if you're stalking someone in your house for the thrill of the hunt instead of just trying to get them the berkeley out, then by all means go with something stealthy.

With all due respect, the police are going to back whatever tactic ends up with somebody getting robbed instead of somebody getting shot.

If that's not the same as your own priorities, take a good hard look in the mirror.

How abput a tactic that ends up with nobody getting robbed AND nobody getting shot?  I'm not against that.  I'm just saying the police are (officially, anyway) going to recommend erring on the far side of caution.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
10/3/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

I didn't know that SIG had that feature on any of their optics, that's great!  Auto-on & off is why I bought the Deltapoit, at the time it was the most "affordable" option with that feature.

Do you know if SIG has a reflex sight with that feature, or just their Aimpoint-esque red dots?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/3/18 1:58 p.m.

That's a great idea, Duke.  Let's just pass a law making robbery illegal.  That way it won't happen anymore and we won't have these problems.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/3/18 2:01 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Ruger still makes the Blackhawk which is a SAA style pistol. Uberti makes modern Colt SAA chambered in a plethora of rounds. They are slow firing, but have a great trigger feel. 

To those of us taught correctly, the firearm is the LAST line of defense. Its not used to scare people. It's not for show. If you've found yourself in that position, it's for use. I'm not going through the house like a swat team. The wife and dogs are in the bathroom with the phone while I watch the door to protect her and myself. Life isn't a movie and I'm not the action hero. Same for me when I carry about the world. I rely on being aware of my surroundings to not put myself into a situation that the firearm is ever needed and don't start confrontations to prove how manly I am. 

Keith Tanner
10/3/18 2:05 p.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:

How abput a tactic that ends up with nobody getting robbed AND nobody getting shot?  I'm not against that.  I'm just saying the police are (officially, anyway) going to recommend erring on the far side of caution.

We're already having that discussion in another thread - hardening the entry points.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/18 2:12 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

For a home defense weapon sight, check out the SIG Romeo5.  You can get them on sale for about $130.  Red dot sight, small size, and most important, it turns itself off if there is no movement, then will turn itself back on when you pick it up.  Battery lasts like 5 years.  So, turn it on, put the weapon where you want and leave it there.  It will turn off in a few minutes and turn itself back on when you pick it up.  Works on handguns, long arms.  I've got one on my 300BO pistol.

Have you used it on a shotgun? I just had my bushnell red dot fail after like 100 rnds through my mossberg so I'm sorta in the market for a new optic.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/3/18 2:19 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

That's a great idea, Duke.  Let's just pass a law making robbery illegal.  That way it won't happen anymore and we won't have these problems.

I'm 100% not against home defense, including using firearms.  But thanks for floundering.

thatsnowinnebago
10/3/18 2:22 p.m.

OP: I can't tell where you live but I'd highly recommend taking a class at a firearms training school like Front Sight in NV before keeping a home defense firearm around. Knowing how to handle your gun (tee hee) is probably more important than which gun you're handling (tee hee again). Meaning, it doesn't matter if you are shooting a glock or a CZ or a Mossberg if you don't know what you're doing.

When you do decide to buy something, I'll echo what lots of others are saying here and suggest you try a few out at your local range. For example, my good buddy loves his Glocks but I can't stand the way they fit my hand. So I own a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 instead. Same basic gun idea (polymer semi-auto 9mm) but the M&P just fits my hands better. 

Check out the biometric safes available for long guns and handguns too. They just need your fingerprints to open so you can have easy access in case of emergancy but your kid can't get to it.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/3/18 2:23 p.m.

Aiming a handgun is sort of an oxy moron.

Do what the police do,

keep firing until the clip is empty, hoping  that you hit the intended target.

aiming at a fixed target in calm circumstances is a whole different thing.

A scattergun can be more effective, just not as easy to handle.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/3/18 2:27 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

The mossy I have the pattern is about 12" at 10 yards. Granted, that's more than the .5" the 1911 has, but not that much. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/3/18 2:32 p.m.

Not trying to derail this I promis.  I'm that rare beast, a pro gun far left liberal.  No I don't own a gun, but I like going to the range with friends or out to the back 40 to drill holes in tin cans.

My first suggestion for a gun for home safety is to move houses.  If I'm ever in a situation where I felt a weapon was needed for safety I'd move house, town, county or State.  I could have a false sense of security though as I walk around nice safe neighborhoods like down town Detroit a lot.  Like it or not having a gun in the house statistically makes you less, not more safe.

Now, if 'home safety' is just a plausible spousal safe excuse for 'I want a new toy' then go right ahead.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/3/18 2:53 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
Dr. Hess said:

Have you used it on a shotgun? I just had my bushnell red dot fail after like 100 rnds through my mossberg so I'm sorta in the market for a new optic.

Haven't tried it on a shotgun.  Being a SIG, I would think it would be pretty tough.  You might try calling them up and asking.  I've kinda become a SIG fanboi.

thatsnowinnebago
10/3/18 3:00 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:
thatsnowinnebago said:
Dr. Hess said:

Haven't tried it on a shotgun.  Being a SIG, I would think it would be pretty tough.  You might try calling them up and asking.  I've kinda become a SIG fanboi.

Fair enough, thanks!

/threadjack

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/3/18 3:09 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/3/18 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Wow, I’d hate to live in your world. Thanks for the insult. Checking out. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/3/18 3:22 p.m.

I'm a fan of 9mm carbines for home defense.  My current is a Beretta CX4 Storm, but there are similar models available from Ruger and other makers now.  It will shoot a 1/2 inch group at 40 feet (the longest open stretch in my house), has more muzzle energy than a pistol, but won't put a round through the three houses next to mine like an AR/AK, and it is way easier to manage than a shotgun (which I also own).  It's also cheap, easy and fun to practice with, unlike a lot of shotguns and rifles.  

Pic for reference: 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/3/18 3:25 p.m.

Define "home safety". Coyotes, wild dogs are common in the country and can attack your pets and children. Having a firearm for those would definitely fall under the "home safety" umbrella. 

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OANylnv2DpgSZqeqJX2bLK1xnM2ZkAtS8vFHmuoERIJRxChUbsqqm1KVsQqXHDA6