trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/23/14 10:09 a.m.

There seems as though their are many tablets to choose from, google, freelander, galaxy and the various generic brands. I am looking for a 10" or bigger screen, I plan on using it on trips to watch movies, read books, answer emails, and browse the web when Wifi is available. My budget is $100 and under. Features such as detachable keyboard, and being able to plug in a hard drive are +++ as well as HD.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/14 10:18 a.m.

I am an Apple guy, so I only have experience with an Amazon Kindle that I bought for my parents. For the price, it was pretty impressive. It has a button you can click and a tech comes on the screen and helps you figure stuff out. Great for old people. Very easy to download movies and Prime gives a lot of options. Not sure about things like keyboards and USB at $100 price point.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/23/14 10:28 a.m.

I'm an apple guy for computers but even I couldn't stomach the cost of an iPad when compared to Android tablets so we bought 2 Samsung's a few years ago that are still going strong. The two together cost less than one less powerful iPad. Having said that if I were shopping today I wouldn't buy a tablet unless you plan on using it in meetings a lot as a note pad and viewer. For 99% of what we use our tablets for I'd get a Chrome book instead. Think of a Chrome book as a more powerful tablet without the touch screen but with a keyboard added instead. For web surfing while watching TV or watching vids etc I think that would be better. I don't play games, but perhaps a touch screen would work better for that. If I were looking to spend $250ish I'd be Chromebook all the way.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger Reader
10/23/14 10:31 a.m.

I have an ASUS Transformer TF300 - Has the keyboard dock including USB, SD card slots, and with it, amazing battery life (the keyboard has a 2nd battery in it and will charge the tablet) It's got is flaws, but overall I really like it. Those should be around the $100/150 used on ebay at this point. Rooting this device and installing a custom ROM took it from good to great.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
10/23/14 12:32 p.m.

I've tried a bunch of them. The best experience will be from the Kindle Fire or Google Nexus. That said, I bought a HiSense for $59. Its not the best tablet by any stretch, but it is able to do all of the things you mentioned you want to do with one.

This cheapy has two downfalls though: the wifi isn't very good, and OS updates are nonexistent. For both of those reasons, I would suggest the Nexus. The newest Nexus 9 will be amazing when it is released.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/14 12:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm an apple guy for computers but even I couldn't stomach the cost of an iPad when compared to Android tablets so we bought 2 Samsung's a few years ago that are still going strong. The two together cost less than one less powerful iPad. Having said that if I were shopping today I wouldn't buy a tablet unless you plan on using it in meetings a lot as a note pad and viewer. For 99% of what we use our tablets for I'd get a Chrome book instead. Think of a Chrome book as a more powerful tablet without the touch screen but with a keyboard added instead. For web surfing while watching TV or watching vids etc I think that would be better. I don't play games, but perhaps a touch screen would work better for that. If I were looking to spend $250ish I'd be Chromebook all the way.

What he said. I've barely touched my Galaxy Tab since I got my Chromebook.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
10/23/14 12:40 p.m.

I've an Ipad. I really want to love it. I've tried real hard to love it for the nearly 2 years I've had it. Can't. Neither can my 13 year old boy, or wife (who's not 13).

Two friends have Kindles. Nice and easy to use. Just too small to be usefull, imo. Pleasant toy.

I've played with various android tablets. I've liked those the best. Especially the Samsung Galaxy ones. Good chance one of these will be my next tablet.

A Windows tablet seems awful darn interesting, if I was using a tablet for work. If I needed a work type tablet, it might be one of these.

The chromebooks... I like the price, and they browse the web just fine. Lots of semi-useful or semi-entertaining things I keep finding cannot be done on them, or installed on them. Do like the prices though.

No experience with rooting or jailbreaking any tablet.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/23/14 12:58 p.m.

kindle fire HD 6" is $99 and the winner with your price point. http://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-Display-Wi-Fi-GB/dp/B00KC6I06S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414087049&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+fire+HD

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/23/14 1:00 p.m.

Except he's wanting 10" or bigger screen, which really puts a damper on the "Is there anything worth buying in the $100 or less" part of things.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/23/14 1:00 p.m.

I've owned both Samsung Galaxy Tabs and iPads. Personally I prefer iPads but they're both good, IMHO it just depends on what clicks with you.

I also have a Windows RT Surface tablet and if you want to use something for computery things, it's pretty good, especially with the optional "proper" keyboard.

IME cheap tablets are cheap for a reason - you're better off spending more money on a decent one if you want a tablet because you really get what you pay for.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/23/14 1:22 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Except he's wanting 10" or bigger screen, which really puts a damper on the "Is there anything worth buying in the $100 or less" part of things.

I ignored that bit because you can't get one that "Works" with a big "Ok" screen for that money... don't happen.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/23/14 1:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Except he's wanting 10" or bigger screen, which really puts a damper on the "Is there anything worth buying in the $100 or less" part of things.
I ignored that bit because you can't get one that "Works" with a big "Ok" screen for that money... don't happen.

Yup. That's why i didn't give my standard suggestions.

I have the big nasty Samsung Tab Pro 13" deal, and with the docking keyboard, it's pretty much an obscenely powerful android touchscreen laptop with a baller screen.

Which is exactly what i wanted.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
10/23/14 3:42 p.m.

I have an iPad for the family, and a Kindle Fire HD for my nerdy self. The iPad is great for the kids and my wife. I hacked my Kindle to play SNES games hosted on my home server. Our next tablet will be an Android device of some kind. Apple got our money once and at the time it was fine, but now there are so many more options for so much cheaper.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/24/14 2:15 p.m.

My wife has a Ipad, and I am not a huge fan even though I have Iphone. I am thinking about changing phones to Samsung so I might look at that tablet.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/24/14 8:16 p.m.

I have a 1st gen ipad, and I would call it a love/hate relationship. I love it for web surfing and e-mail, but the ios isn't supported anymore and apps aren't written for the old ios. And it doesn't have anywhere near enough ram, and it's an apple product.

I want a Samsung tablet, but I haven't had the time to look at any in person yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m243OAQ2Z4hvOuQrLKg3wqB8RhMm1YyWHNNtepeqlD90SCTpPSKIUpFmVLpaj8Gt