1 2
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/11/10 12:33 p.m.
donalson wrote: haha i've been in Panama (the country) on an island for the last few months... got to deal with no-se-ums (which honestly are the worst of it), 4+" grasshoppers and my fav... the cicata those things are SICK... get up to 3-4" long from what we saw and if you pock it with a broom/stick they SCREAM... like literally make a noise while they fly around and dive bomb you...

We get cicadas here.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/11/10 10:33 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I wonder who made that up? They have been here for a long, long time.

There have been indigenous species of stink bug here for a long time, yes. But this is a new strain that has arrived from Asia in the last 5 years or so and really exploded in population.

Something will start snacking them up and things will return to normal in a few more years.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/12/10 7:58 p.m.

I have been tearing my apartment apart for the past few days, and I'm making headway. Only finding one or two visible (on the walls etc) a day, rather than 30 or 40 visible a day. I estimate I've killed roughly 400 of them since I started shortly after I started the thread. I spray them with soapy water, grab them by the antennae with a rubber-gloved hand, and then drop them into my cocktail of water, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and a little of the fiancee's perfume, the last part to keep the stink down, the first three parts to do the killin'.

I have spent about $50-$75 on caulk, spray foam, rubber seals, regular gray foam, and that round caulk-saver foam to seal up every freaking nook and cranny in this damned old house. I cleaned 10 out of my dresser alone, found them hiding in the tracks and on the bottom of the drawers.

I've also chosen one or two windows a day (since it's still warm enough for open windows) to completely bug-proof, so we can still enjoy some warm weather before it gets really cold. Plus, once it does get really cold, they'll try even harder to find a way in...but they won't be able to!

Not the most fun I've ever had...but I have certainly learned a lot about the design of the house, and where I need to clean more often haha.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
10/12/10 8:42 p.m.

I'm glad I live in Canada ...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/12/10 9:01 p.m.

Ya'll might try some Chlorodane. Oops, that was banned. Diazanon, Malathion, whatever the co-op sells. Unless you live in one of them commie states that won't trust you with chemicals.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
10/12/10 10:30 p.m.

Canada 2nded..

I don't know how you people can handle bugs like that.

I'll keep the winters if they kill off the multi-legged horrors.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
10/12/10 11:00 p.m.

Napalm?

Jay
Jay Dork
10/13/10 4:12 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Canada 2nded.. I don't know how you people can handle bugs like that. I'll keep the winters if they kill off the multi-legged horrors.

What Canada are you guys from? Mosquitos, black flies, giant June bugs, tent caterpillars, horseflies, every kind of nasty wasp imaginable, need I go on?

Jay
Jay Dork
10/13/10 6:03 a.m.

...earwigs, weevils, little moths that hatch their larvae in your sack of rice and look EXACTLY THE GODDAMN SAME, bees, nasty biting ants, termites, more wasps, spiders that leave welts that don't go away for days, ticks, leeches, silverfish, centipedes, millipedes, potato bugs and zebra mussels. <-- those count as insects right? They sure hurt when you step on a clump of them at the end of the boat dock.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
10/13/10 6:35 a.m.

I live in a rather rural area of eastern PA. We have them all over the place. My 3 year old twins like to leave the screen door to the deck open when they go outside, so they may as well hang up a sign saying "Please, make yourself welcome stinkbugs". Then they want to pick the stupid things up and play with them....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
10/13/10 9:36 a.m.
Jay wrote: ...earwigs, weevils, little moths that hatch their larvae in your sack of rice and look EXACTLY THE GODDAMN SAME, bees, nasty biting ants, termites, more wasps, spiders that leave welts that don't go away for days, ticks, leeches, silverfish, centipedes, millipedes, potato bugs and zebra mussels. <-- those count as insects right? They sure hurt when you step on a clump of them at the end of the boat dock.

I've never seen a giant june bug and I live in the warmest part of Canuckistan.

The rest of those bugs are found as the tiny variety. They just get a visit from Dr. Foot. There's no Cicadas that can carry you off or 4" long centipedes that are bloody poisonous as well. That crap is the stuff of nightmares.

As for flour moths, we've had them, they hitchike in sakcs of grain or flour. It's no big deal, they seem to go away after a short time in a clean environment. If you soak your rice, the bugs float to the top.

Shawn

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/13/10 10:09 a.m.

Indeed, all of those don't scream "I'll eat your babies WHILE YOU SLEEP". All relatively harmless/not scary looking. And wasps?? Wasps are everywhere. At least they only sting.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
10/14/10 12:18 a.m.
Jay wrote: What Canada are you guys from? Mosquitos, black flies, giant June bugs, tent caterpillars, horseflies, every kind of nasty wasp imaginable, need I go on?

In British Columbia, the best place for no bugs is Vancouver & the Okanagan valley. The Okanagan has a bit more bugs, and apparently scorpions (I've never seen one though), but they're not the horrific pests like other places.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
10/14/10 7:43 a.m.

Every so often when I switch on the light and go out into our attached garage, I'll see a centipede scurrying along the wall. Usually, they have the courtesy to remain smaller than about 2" long. They invariably try to seek refuge in the crack between the sill plate and the foundation wall. I invariably try to kill them. Sometimes they get away, sometimes I win. Funny how the legs keep running even after you squash them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DikCKztcxU3R0cIGPAAe6rstPpk7ibcYYAeaJzz4xgIExZSx82uZGMZlLtlYhich