MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/4/24 11:09 p.m.

My 2009 MINI was getting pretty tired and the bride stumbled onto this - a 2018 A4 Allroad with 14,500 miles on it!

Went to the Ford dealership that had it on the lot (traded for a giant Ford diesel pickup truck), drove it yesterday and went back with the MINI today and made the deal.

We've had her 2014 for 4 years now and have had zero problems with it, so we decided to take a chance on this very low mile 2018. I verified the mileage with Audi this morning before we bought it. Spent an hour this evening trying to learn all the ins and outs and how to make stuff work. The 2018 has a dual clutch 7 speed gearbox vs the 8 speed automatic in the 2014. It also has adjustable settings for the shocks and suspension and about 30 more hp than our 2014.

Next I need to find a trailer hitch and wiring for it.......I'll still have my classic Minis of course, but it's nice to have a car that's as quiet and comfortable as this. At the rate we put on miles (maybe 5K a year....between the two of us) it should last us a good long time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/5/24 9:23 a.m.

Nice and congrats. (We once had his and hers B16A-powered Hondas.)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/5/24 9:41 a.m.

Good snag!

We had his-n-hers white 1995 Neon sedans.  Not nearly as nice as your cars, but the license plates were ALLYRBS and RBLNG2S.

May they serve you well!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/24 9:54 a.m.

Congrats! I really like the flares and such the allroads have. It's too bad they didn't come body color.

We have his and hers e30s.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/5/24 2:16 p.m.

Actually, they do come in body color if you order them that way, but only in a few of the colors - white, silver and black - not sure what else. Cost an extra $1K

I like the car but OMG does it have a lot of stuff to learn how to use - and not use! For example, it has start/stop - which I don't like - and you have to turn that off each time you cycle the key (start the car)

I'm going to get my phone paired up and learn how to turn the radio on/off and then start cycling thru the thousands of menus on the MMI.

This car also has the dual clutch 7 speed, which is way different than the 8 speed automatic in the 2014 (black Allroad) - so, it's a learning experience all around.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/5/24 4:22 p.m.

I approve of all Allroad ownership.

OLDYLR
OLDYLR GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/24 4:29 p.m.

Long live the long roof

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/5/24 5:57 p.m.

We have a 2015 with 106k miles.  Had the timing chain, water pump, and intake valve cleaning done around 98k miles as preventative maintenance.  About to go thru the suspension as the bushings and dampers are getting tired.  We love it and will keep it as long as possible.  

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/5/24 10:30 p.m.

We've had Audi's in our family since '72, and we really like our Allroads.

These two are really different in some ways, and completely alike in others.....all together a great ride.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
6/5/24 11:38 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

If it's similar to my 2018 VW. Using obd11 or vcds, you should be able to set the battery voltage level .10 below what the car requires for start/stop to function.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/9/24 2:22 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

We had a 2004 before this, bought it used in 2004 with 9K miles on it, traded in 2020 for the black smallroad when it had 85K on it - we don't do a lot of miles!

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/9/24 2:23 p.m.

In reply to 1kris06 :

Interesting - I do have the Rosstech VCDS, but I have yet to learn how to use it properly......

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/16/24 5:12 p.m.

So we've had both our "new" Allroads for a minute now, and we are both really pleased with them so far - the bride in particular loves the upgrades compared to her 2014 - like the kick to open feature for the liftgate.

I drove mine to Hallet for the CanAm Mini challenge weekend, and then the following weekend to Ozarks International for the vintage races there and these are really good hiway companions, plus too and also they get great fuel mileage - especially for a 3800lb car! My mileage going down to the tracks was mid 35's, coming back I had a stiff headwind which dropped it back to mid 33's but - no complaints from me!

Quiet, smooth and great handling cars with plenty of room inside, what's not to like?

Still learning how to use all the bits and bobs, but I'm pretty happy with both cars these days. I miss my MINI Clubman as these cars still feel huge to me, but I guess I'll get used to that eventually.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zb6NtO2kxae8I97Eejaw7WqEPv5TdP2MjxABEzNhCY00pCTLXImhVkvjJczJkCkB