1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 ... 144
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/23 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Crate has been gone for years now, they made some good stuff.

A bx100 was used for a long time and got pretty loud

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/29/23 1:51 p.m.

When I see weird stuff from the 90's, I just can't say no...

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 3:41 p.m.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
10/31/23 11:43 a.m.

Thanks all for the input a while back.  My kid bought a Crate BX 25 locally from FB.  A little smaller than suggested but he saved some money and is happy.  Mission accomplished.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
10/31/23 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

25w will be fine, even with a drummer, for at home practice. Should be good. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
10/31/23 3:59 p.m.

I came home from work a little early and found bass brother playing with drum brother.  Snuck this pic to avoid stopping their session. Normally they fight like comic book rivals every day. I hope they can keep this going while they're both still at home ~3 years or so.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/1/23 8:52 a.m.

Okay, Hive...

Eldest ReconKid is looking into building a pedal board for his bass shenanigans. First pedal he wants is distortion, with a focus on decent quality.

What recommendations do you all have?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/1/23 8:58 a.m.

It's more of a fuzz than a distortion, but the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff is one of my go-to's. They also have a dedicated bass flavor:

The gold standard in dirty bass sounds. 

The one I personally have is actually the older "Black Russian" one:

But any of those is a great start. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/1/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I call "loaded question"

but seriously, it depends. A good fuzz can do a lot, where a true "distortion" pedal is more one dimensional. I'd probably recommend an overdrive, sort of the best of both (and some of the cheapest options). Or something like the old Jackel/Hyde units. 

Which are just both in one  

Really depends what the goal is. Rhett Shull has a few really good videos on OD, boost, and distortion. Mostly for guitar, but the concepts are the same-ish. 

A lot depends on the rest of the rig too. Details? Amp? Bass make/model?

And most importantly, what is the desired sound? Favorite player? Favorite song? 

*edit for stuff

also consider a kit of y'all are the Lego type. I built my OD at home and it's great. Also, cheap. 
Thunderdrive it gets pretty deep into fuzz territory, and has a really lovely midrange. Absolutely love it with my J-bass. 

Antihero
11/1/23 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

The best I've played for bass are:

Boss Obd-3. The clean blend helps a lot with clarity.

Wooly Mammoth, mines actually a clone but it's nice and seemingly well made. Here's one on Reverb Mammoth

IdiotBox Blower Box, I got to play a early preproduction model and was very impressed.

None of these are mild though so your mileage may very. My favorite was custom built by a small company for my dad years ago and I don't think you could get another sadly

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/1/23 4:32 p.m.

To add a little grit to my bass setup, I use a Vintage Van Driving is Very Fun pedal from Animal. I’m using a ’60s Univox amp. Technically I guess it’s an overdrive pedal. 

You know, I don’t have a distortion pedal plugged in at the moment. Several overdrives, though. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/1/23 5:42 p.m.

My old bass player hasn't dozens (at least 100) dirt pedals of various types.  For recording, he usually gets his dirt from a cranked vintage SVT. For live, he has switched to a Tech 21 Geddy Lee rack preamp with a solid state power amp.

In other news... the local guitar store in NH strikes again.  Pretty much as soon as I picked it up and strummed a few notes, it said to me, "I'm going home with you..."

1989 American Standard Strat in my favorite color - black. Me being me who cannot leave a guitar alone, I'll do my standard mods: locking tuners and Wilkinson locking saddles.  I've been hankering to try an EMG David Gilmore setup, so that may happen as well. Another pickup thought is a Duncan YJM set.  The nice thing about Strats is I can just buy pre-loaded pick guards which makes swapping relatively easy.  

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
11/6/23 6:55 p.m.

This showed up today. Definitely a, "How have I gone this long without having one in the pedal chain," moment.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/6/23 7:36 p.m.

As some of you may know, I've been out of my house since April, as we're rebuilding it completely from the ground up. And all the way up in the attic, I will be setting up a music room of sorts. I had been storing all my gear in the garage since we broke ground, but the garage is going to be fixed up next. Although the house isn't done yet, I got the go-ahead to start moving my gear up there. 

All my drums and stringed things are up there now, up 3 flights of stairs. Phew. I still need to get the amps and drum hardware up there, but it's a start! I cannot wait until I can move back in early next year so I can set this all up. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/18/23 1:50 p.m.

This is pretty much the Holy Grail of Les Pauls for me.  I play Les Pauls because of Steve Clark from Def Leppard. I honestly never really thought about the actual model he used in the three Pyromania videos until YouTuber bwm5150 did a video for Mirror Mirror last week using a model I hadn't heard of: the XR-1 - which you can now easily spot in the videos. The moment the video ended I was on Reverb... and this 1981 example was for sale by a dealer in Canada. Less than a week later and it's in my hands.  The neck is a little beefier than I was expecting for the era, but I'll live. It's in "player's grade" condition,  which is fine with me. The coil tap/split switch is factory.  No binding, but the maple top edge is exposed in the tobacco sunburst finish.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/20/23 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

You know, I was too busy paying attention to the absolutely SICK Ibanez Destroyer Phil Collen played to look at what Steve Clark was actually playing for a Les Paul. That thing is cool as hell! Love it. Looks ready to rip!

BTW, similarly, Phil Collen and that Destroyer is probably the reason I started playing music myself. That's why I have an affinity for Explorers and offsets. I'll probably never get one of those, but I have my Epi Goth Explorer, and that's close enough. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/20/23 9:19 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

This is pretty much the Holy Grail of Les Pauls for me. 

Never seen this model before, pretty cool guitar!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/20/23 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

That's cool.  I have seen Phil playing a Jackson version of his old Destroyer, but not a Floyd equipped Ibanez version.  I have two Explorers at the moment: a 1994 I bought new and a 1984 3-P90 Kahler equipped model I bought a few years ago.  I had at least one Destroyer back in the early 90's, but passed them on for whatever reason. I went through so many guitars back in the early 90's when I worked next to a music store. 

When I get caught up on guitar projects (ha!) I'd like to build a Warmoth "Nomad" which is their cross between a Destroyer and an Explorer. 

I haven't found much info about the XR-1 model, but from what I can tell it was the pre-cursor to the Studio model.  The specs are similar other than the XR-1 has the same thickness body as a Standard vs. the slightly thinner Studio. Only made in 81 and 82 and doesn't seem like Gibson made very many. 

In an amusing coincidence, the serial number of the XR-1 starts with 80561 - indicating it was made on the 56th day of 1981. Another guitar I have is a Firebrand "The Paul" Deluxe project I bought some years ago for cheap (it has a poor paint job over a headstock repair). Its number is 80571 - indicating it was built the next day. 

I fun thing to do is to find a Gibson guitar built on your birthday. Since Gibson didn't start the numbering system to look for that until 1978, I can't really look for a 1970 guitar, but some day I'd like to find a 1980 Gibson built on day 204. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/22/23 5:27 p.m.

Anyone have any experience building stewmac kits? I have a need for a cheap couch guitar and there are sales right now. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/22/23 7:51 p.m.

I guess we're gonna find out. Got the Peavey shipped out and a Stewmac T-style kit ordered. Intrigued by the mahogany body and neck (laurel fretboard) on a telecaster. I'll likely take my time deciding on finish. I still want a white on white on white tele, but I may just oil the whole thing and play it raw. Or who knows. For $150, I won't be too emotionally invested. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/24/23 12:29 p.m.

PSA

Cheap but maybe also good?

Such sparkle. 
Also, decided the stewmac kit is gonna get a proper shiny finish with extra shiny. Gold sparkle. Because I can. 

Antihero
11/24/23 3:32 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

You know, if you are looking for a white on white Tele......

Firefly tele

I own a thin line by them and it's great.$139 is worth it.

Or this cool as hell blue flame one

Awesome blue flame tele

Antihero
11/24/23 3:34 p.m.

I need to get a heavy tones p90 pickup soon, the BFGs bridge pickup is meh.

Going between the BareKnuckle 'Pig 90, or supermassive or maybe a Lace Aluma p90 Riffian.

Finding clips of them compared is kinda sucky

barefootcyborg5000
11/24/23 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Oh that's awesome. Already bought the stewmac kit though. 

And I just learned the Fender tele set is only $79! So we'll see. So many good options. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
11/26/23 8:10 p.m.

Tele pickups? I really like the GFS  "fatbody" single coils I've currently got in the classic vibe Squier. Simple but versatile with more punch

1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 ... 144

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h906sphNguYg2E0ra4XkI1zQWSxGFGRtX1a68olnIkftvYHY7RkYWtDdgug96pDn