Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
12/10/13 9:34 a.m.

Let's see GRMs holiday decorations.

(it's blocked off from the 15 month old)

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/10/13 9:48 a.m.

I'll have to post pics of my tree later (Photobucket blocked here)... it is dorktastic.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/10/13 10:32 a.m.

Same here. My pictures are all on Photobucket, which is blocked here at work. I've got some pictures of inside and outside. I have crappy cell phone video of the outside display in action, but need to get better video. However, I can't do it until I get my show up and running again. On Saturday, one of my control boxes shorted out and burned... New one should be here tomorrow and I hope to have the music back on by Friday/Saturday.

I love what I have, but am already thinking of ways to add for next year. The inside of our house is so stuffed with Christmas decor, we're going to have to throw stuff out if I buy anything else.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/10/13 10:35 a.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/10/13 10:44 a.m.
fasted58 wrote:

I have some grievances to air.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/10/13 10:54 a.m.

That reminds me of this awesome news item I saw today:

Florida Capitol to add Festivus Pole to Christian Nativity decorations

I expect the "airing of the grievances" portion of the celebrations to set a new record. That will be balanced by a complete absence of any "feats of strength."

Margie

edit: Not intended as a flounder; sometimes people just do funny things. So here's my preemptive "Lighten up, Francis" suggestion.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/10/13 11:16 a.m.

Do I get a Yule decoration?

Tree with beer cans hanging on it! Best of two worlds.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/10/13 12:03 p.m.

Here are mine:

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/10/13 1:40 p.m.

(wonders if he should post pic of holiday themed banana warmer)

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
12/10/13 5:31 p.m.

My wife doesn't find it nearly as amusing as I do.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/10/13 6:32 p.m.

I usually just get drunk til stuff looks pretty. Saves me time and freezing my ass off.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/10/13 7:09 p.m.

20ft inflatable penguin...because I'm that neighbor

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/13 7:46 p.m.

These are last year's, but they look very similar to this year but now I have two big plastic candles by the steps.

Then I have my trains under the tree http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/i-am-ready-for-christmas-or-an-institution/75284/page1/

drainoil
drainoil Reader
12/10/13 8:52 p.m.

After visting the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World recently and seeing the castle lit up at night got me thinking. The castle can change colors in an instant. No thousands of feet of string lights, but rather some sort of projected light combination. The lights seem partly highlighted using the buildings own angles, edges, etc. I would think something similiar or a variant of this could be done on a much smaller scale, for residential use?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/10/13 8:55 p.m.
drainoil wrote: After visting the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World recently and seeing the castle lit up at night got me thinking. The castle can change colors in an instant. No thousands of feet of string lights, but rather some sort of projected light combination. The lights seem partly highlighted using the buildings own angles, edges, etc. I would think the same/similiar could be done on a much smaller scale, for residential use?

Really easily. Check out Light-O-Rama... they're the big players in this theme.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
12/10/13 10:37 p.m.

Did you spot the projectors on the buildings surrounding the castle? They're some big beasts.

But what, you guys expect me to put my lights up 3 weeks after I took them down? Jeez, next year they're staying all year :p

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/11/13 6:47 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
drainoil wrote: After visting the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World recently and seeing the castle lit up at night got me thinking. The castle can change colors in an instant. No thousands of feet of string lights, but rather some sort of projected light combination. The lights seem partly highlighted using the buildings own angles, edges, etc. I would think the same/similiar could be done on a much smaller scale, for residential use?
Really easily. Check out Light-O-Rama... they're the big players in this theme.

I haven't seen the castle at Christmas, we always go to Disney in the summer. But yes, I think the castle uses light projectors and such, not actual light strands. Light O Rama (LOR) is the big dog in home Christmas lighting, that's where my equipment is from. However, I don't know they're big into the projection stuff that Disney does. They sell more controllers...which are essentially computers in a box that can control strands of lights that you program. They also have RGB (red green blue) color ribbons....those are the ones that can change color to pretty much anything you want. They're expensive. Even the basic control boxes are $250, plus you need the lights, extension cords, software license, etc... Even making your own, extension cords can get costly in a hurry. If you want to do home shows, LOR is the way to go hands down.

I didn't get a chance to use the computer last night, so if you guys don't mind clicking a link, here are just a few quick photos I have from this year. Took them in a hurry, I need to get more time to get better shots, but you'll get the idea. You'll also see pictures of my fried control box...

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Klayfish/library/Christmas%202013

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9hc7vnZbS47TXgSdDzCKspbRQDykhUPzoXpiZoq7Xtnn4IFs3OVDpnWSGZrhPJKi