1 2 3 4
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/30/16 7:23 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

That was one of my concerns, for sure. Maybe I should splurge and get an AF lens with the body.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
6/30/16 9:21 a.m.

The K3 has focus peaking, that works pretty well for manual focus.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/21/17 9:21 a.m.

Bumping my old thread (and crying over all the broken Photobucket links)...

I've had the DSLR for just over a year now, and I've gotten plenty of use out of it. I've done a few racing events:

Done some photo shoots:

Every time I shoot, I get better. Those images above are unedited, and I feel like I improve every time I take the camera out.

Speaking of taking the camera out, I need to really get a better camera bag. Right now, I have a small one with two compartments I jam the camera body and two lenses into. Getting the camera and components in and out of that bag is a royal PITA. I'm looking at upgrading to a backpack that can carry the camera, all the camera BS (two lenses, tripod, batteries, etc) and my 13.3" laptop. My budget is $50 or less.

So far, I've found two that I like:

Amazon Basics bag for $39.99

Evecase bag for $44.99

I like the extra space of the Amazon bag, but I like the quick camera access pocket and aesthetics of the Evecase bag better. Both of them seem to have good reviews. Is there a better option out there at that price point?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/17 10:47 a.m.

I have no helpful advice but I'd love to know more about the bubble top.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/21/17 11:07 a.m.

In reply to APEowner:

I can't find the BangShift article I took pics for, but check this out:

http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Eric_Goodrich%27s_Iron_Lung

It's awesome.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/21/17 1:34 p.m.

I found another option, and it's the frontrunner so far. This one has rave reviews on a few camera blogs and on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q6BE36/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2NSIWPQKRJ1PA&psc=1

Here's the weird part: this company seems like it doesn't exist outside of some sales on Amazon and eBay. No website, no other products except for this... nothing. It's Prime eligible and fulfilled by Amazon, so at least if it sucks I can return it easily.

What I like is that it doesn't look like a camera backpack, when not carrying a tripod, of course. It looks like a regular ol' backpack. It has more space than the others I've been looking at, too.

This one is $50, which is $10 more than the Amazon one and $5 than the Evecase. Is it worth the extra $5 and a slight toss of the dice?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/17 2:05 p.m.
Tony Sestito wrote: In reply to APEowner: I can't find the BangShift article I took pics for, but check this out: http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Eric_Goodrich%27s_Iron_Lung It's awesome.

Thanks. That is awesome!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/21/17 6:09 p.m.

Food for though, you may grow to hate the backpack.

I've found they're a pain in the ass, always on and off when you need to swap something and you always have to put it down to open it. They also scream "Expensive camera inside" to thieves.

I have a Domke F2 bag and I love it, they've been around since Jesus was a baby.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/21/17 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

I'm totally a backpack guy. I'm finding that half the time I'm at automotive events, I'm riding a pit bike of some sort trying to get from one end of the track to the other. A conventional bag wouldn't work for that too well. Also, if I'm out on a hike, it's easier to do the pack thing.

I'm leaning back towards the Amazon one. The weirdness that surrounds the Zeznia pack is sorta keeping me away, and the Evecase, even though I like the aesthetics, looks less sturdy and is smaller.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/21/17 9:11 p.m.

You think you'd like a single strap sling type backpack?
Lowepro Slingshot 102 DSLR Sling Camera Bag

I've got my sights set on a refurbished 80D, and have been shopping/pricing accessories for its eventual purchase. I think I want that Slingshot 102, I "think" a little laptop would probably fit, if not the 202 is a little bigger.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/17 10:36 p.m.

I have found that backpacks are far and away the best camera bags for my purposes. They're less convenient to get stuff in and out of, but they're a much more secure way to carry stuff than a shoulder bag and less tiring for a given weight of gear.

To improve the convenience factor, you can look for one of the backpacks that opens from the side that's normally against your back. This is easier because when you take it off you shoulder you can just lay it down naturally, rather than needing to flip it over and set it on the shoulder straps. I have a smallish LowePro "flipside" that works like this.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
7/22/17 11:59 a.m.

I've got a Clik Elite ProBody Sport that I really like. It won't carry a million lenses, but it will carry a DSLR with two lenses and a flash, a hydration bladder and snacks in the main pouch. That's why I like it, it's not JUST a camera bag. In fact, I've used it quite a bit without my camera in it, because it's a nice lightweight bag.

I need a lighter/longer/wider setup. I never take my DSLR anywhere, anymore. It's just too much camera for most trips, and despite having a Sigma f2.8 50-150 and Nikon 70-210mm f/4 I always find myself wanting something like a 600mm to capture birds, or a wider piece of glass for landscape shots (kits lens and 35mm f1.8 don't cut it).

My parents have a Nikon CoolPix Superzoom and I'm always impressed with how far out that little camera can reach with relatively good results.

So, anyone want to buy $1000 worth of equipment for $500?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GKD8yUGiOiCPAtyYq8xK2PAMVRZnp706hbkZzxzoMF8bkCCgMn7Duqe3Auv5bJ7w