1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/20/12 4:24 p.m.

Thank you, SVReX.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/20/12 4:26 p.m.

The only way to experience anything is through your senses. You have 5. Sight, Touch, Hearing, Smell, Taste. This is a fact despite the insistence of the mediums on TV. When you experience something it is only through the inputs you have available. You don't really interface directly with the world at all. You sample it. You can know nothing that was not interpreted somehow thru these inputs and presented to your brain. You cannot really ever experience everything about a light switch or a glass of water. You only get what you can sample of it. Even if you use technology to bring some of the things about it into view - you don't really experience them - you interpret other properties of them into inputs you can readily digest. Like using a microscope to extend your vision or a particle accelerator to bust it apart into measurable things you can sample through tools that bring aspects of its makeup into view. The world would be very different to us if we used echo location instead of vision or had eyes that saw things at a sub atomic level but we would still be limited to our inputs. I see a lot of baseless statements in this thread that begin with "I believe". The gods of man are all defined outside of the physical realm. Therefore, you cannot sample them. Perhaps we could devise some instrument that could - but then how do you tell god from a higgs-boson? Best to just move on and not waste any more of the time you have left thinking about it. Sample more of the things that please the senses you do have.

This concludes today's episode of The Pot-Talk Philosopher. Carry on.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/20/12 5:55 p.m.

The hornets at your house are all scratching their hard little pointed heads, looking at each other through their multifaceted eyes and going 'WTF? This guy killed a bunch of us?'.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
10/20/12 6:51 p.m.

all this "I Believe" talk reminds me of a song.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/20/12 7:24 p.m.
You cannot really ever experience everything about a light switch or a glass of water.

You've never dropped acid, have you?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/20/12 8:23 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
You cannot really ever experience everything about a light switch or a glass of water.

I remember scooting the seat up in my buddies Beretta all the way, shins on dash, and looking out the windshield for a solid 3 hours.

Wait, what were we talking about?

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
10/20/12 8:55 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
I remember scooting the seat up in my buddies Beretta all the way, shins on dash, and looking out the windshield for a solid 3 hours. Wait, what were we talking about?

I watched a wood paneling wall pulsate for hours.

stroker
stroker Dork
10/20/12 9:53 p.m.

In reply to joey48442:

You never saw "Mystery Men"? :)

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/20/12 9:54 p.m.
turbojunker wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
I remember scooting the seat up in my buddies Beretta all the way, shins on dash, and looking out the windshield for a solid 3 hours. Wait, what were we talking about?

Wood is good.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
10/20/12 10:28 p.m.

There was no letting go of anything. It's all looked like science and physics and weather and geology and biology and what not since I was old enough to have conscious thoughts. If I get a brain tumor, for example, it's a cellular aberration that was either coded in my DNA or brought on by exposure to some nasty carcinogen - not "god's will". If I happen to discover this particular brain lesion by falling of a skateboard - years before it developed to a point of being symptomatic and subsequently likely to be less treatable - it's a favorable accident. Not "god's will".

When I go to John's Hopkins for brain surgery, I genuinely hope my surgeon has had a great night's sleep, a nice breakfast, and neither a fight with his wife or a run-in with a road rage commuter or mean-spirited traffic cop on the way to the hospital. But I cannot influence this, and asking someone I can't see to make sure things go well doesn't seem prudent, or helpful.

If things go well and the lesion I have proves to be an uncommon, slow developing type in the best possible location, is easily resected and upon examination is low grade, and requires no further attention beyond observation - again, this is a good outcome. It's a result of how long it developed and when I became aware of it, the quality of care I received and a thousand other factors big and small. They're all finite things that can be quantified for the most part. Chance is hard to quantify, but that which is attributable to chance is pretty obvious.

If it all goes well (which it did, and has) it's a good story, and I'm a lucky guy. If it went badly (and this all went down like 6 years ago, so I most likely wouldn't be here) I'm just another guy who got the sh!t end of the stick.

For me, god played no role in this. Didn't give me a tumor as part of his great plan. Didn't make me fall off a skateboard. Didn't grace the surgeon with steady hands. None of it.

And I'm not lacking anything for it. When times are tough it's up to me to sort it out. If I need to seek strength - I have my wife, my cat, my parents, my friends. You guys. Tangible physical things I can see and touch.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
10/20/12 11:42 p.m.

I can't find it on Netflix.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
10/20/12 11:50 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
turbojunker wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Wood is good.

And those crappy area rugs with the patterns in them. Oh man.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/21/12 12:20 a.m.
turbojunker wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
turbojunker wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Wood is good.
And those crappy area rugs with the patterns in them. Oh man.

And grass. Big fat blades of grass. Lookin like snails & E36 M3.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/21/12 6:44 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: I can't find it on Netflix.

I got it on DVD. It may not be available streaming.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/21/12 7:26 a.m.
ddavidv wrote:

I'm sure that's the case....I could not find it, either. Anti-stance, follow the links I posted at the start of the thread. You can hear her telling the same story in standup.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/21/12 8:29 a.m.
motomoron wrote: There was no letting go of anything. It's all looked like science and physics and weather and geology and biology and what not since I was old enough to have conscious thoughts. If I get a brain tumor, for example, it's a cellular aberration that was either coded in my DNA or brought on by exposure to some nasty carcinogen - not "god's will". If I happen to discover this particular brain lesion by falling of a skateboard - years before it developed to a point of being symptomatic and subsequently likely to be less treatable - it's a favorable accident. Not "god's will". When I go to John's Hopkins for brain surgery, I genuinely hope my surgeon has had a great night's sleep, a nice breakfast, and neither a fight with his wife or a run-in with a road rage commuter or mean-spirited traffic cop on the way to the hospital. But I cannot influence this, and asking someone I can't see to make sure things go well doesn't seem prudent, or helpful. If things go well and the lesion I have proves to be an uncommon, slow developing type in the best possible location, is easily resected and upon examination is low grade, and requires no further attention beyond observation - again, this is a good outcome. It's a result of how long it developed and when I became aware of it, the quality of care I received and a thousand other factors big and small. They're all finite things that can be quantified for the most part. Chance is hard to quantify, but that which is attributable to chance is pretty obvious. If it all goes well (which it did, and has) it's a good story, and I'm a lucky guy. If it went badly (and this all went down like 6 years ago, so I most likely wouldn't be here) I'm just another guy who got the sh!t end of the stick. For me, god played no role in this. Didn't give me a tumor as part of his great plan. Didn't make me fall off a skateboard. Didn't grace the surgeon with steady hands. None of it. And I'm not lacking anything for it. When times are tough it's up to me to sort it out. If I need to seek strength - I have my wife, my cat, my parents, my friends. You guys. Tangible physical things I can see and touch.

wow. You were pretty smart when you were born. I had to be taught most of that stuff, and then choose whether to believe my teacher or not.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
10/21/12 8:40 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I have since become a Christian. Every day that goes by as I grow in my Christianity helps me realize how much less I know, and how much more real my need for salvation is. Used to think I was a pretty decent guy. Now, I'm pretty ready to fall on my face asking forgiveness. Lots of people are born religious. NO ONE is born Christian.

X10

"Born Again" by Nicodemus.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
10/21/12 11:36 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
ddavidv wrote:
I'm sure that's the case....I could not find it, either. Anti-stance, follow the links I posted at the start of the thread. You can hear her telling the same story in standup.

Ah-ha! I should have figured it was not on streaming.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
10/21/12 2:09 p.m.

If there was a god he would have killed the progressive insurance chic by now . And whoever came up with Farmers insurance jingle .

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/21/12 2:26 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: If there was a god he would have killed the progressive insurance chic by now

I find the character Flo to be rather attractive..... Maybe it is the retro head band

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/21/12 3:17 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The hornets at your house are all scratching their hard little pointed heads, looking at each other through their multifaceted eyes and going 'WTF? This guy killed a bunch of us?'.

There are no hornets at my house. It was a complete genocide.

The mice are next. Right after the walls stop breathing.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
10/21/12 5:15 p.m.

I think the actress who plays Flo is kinda hot when she's not wearing her Flo suit.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/21/12 6:55 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: The hornets at your house are all scratching their hard little pointed heads, looking at each other through their multifaceted eyes and going 'WTF? This guy killed a bunch of us?'.
There are no hornets at my house. It was a complete genocide. The mice are next. Right after the walls stop breathing.

Dood. All you need is a pore hole key spring. Which Mr. Haney will sell you for only $982.00.

http://www.tv.com/shows/green-acres/the-free-paint-job-32501/

stroker
stroker Dork
10/21/12 7:46 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I think the actress who plays Flo is kinda hot when she's not wearing her Flo suit.

Every time I see her I think of all the dozens of actresses who tried out for that role and feel they could have done a better job than she does...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/22/12 8:16 a.m.
stroker wrote: Every time I see her I think of all the dozens of actresses who tried out for that role and feel they could have done a better job than she does...

She's still lbetter than Geico's Cavemen... that got old real quick...

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXnQxUx6Dvsi1yu58F1bLMoiGtvpqtQQc98hUxUl2LP6hMoOiXxmCXF0JipBNnIt