1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/15 12:21 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMfTHHLbj5g

My local hobby store is trying to get in on these. Think automatic flying GoPro. Can you imagine the motorsports shots you could get with this thing?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/15 12:41 a.m.

yes and no.. they are only good to 25mph... so it limits the motorsports aspect.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
7/18/15 1:12 a.m.

Awesomeness

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/15 1:56 a.m.

Would probably work great for autoX. Why did they have to put a goofy face on it though?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/15 8:28 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

It would be superb for autocross and drifting. Maybe even drag racing if it could automatically go from lead to follow.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
7/18/15 8:29 a.m.

While one of these could capture pretty good footage, I'm a little concerned about one winding up in a driver's face or under a tire. Just a gust of wind, or an expended battery pack, even turbulence from a fast car ... I wonder if the buzzards and hawks at BBORR would tolerate one buzzing around?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/18/15 8:41 a.m.

That looks pretty badass

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/15 9:09 a.m.

3DR though much higher end is the way to go for a quadrotor to be used for motorsport filming

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/18/15 9:28 a.m.

That is awesome.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/18/15 12:34 p.m.

Well... that might be the start of a bad trend.

I had heard that self directing drones are illegal. E.g. set a course for it to follow and it goes out and follows it and comes back (easy enough to do with GPS). This is kind of pushing the boundaries since it's not actually controlled by anyone, but might be OK.

There have already been a couple of cases of idiots flying drones over wild fires in California, causing them to call off the water dropping helicopters and planes (you think hitting a bird would be bad!). It is likely there will be some new laws coming out soon, since some people just can't help but be idiots.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/15 12:38 p.m.

yea.. I have been watching what is going on in SoCal with the idiots and their drones. The fall out is not going to be good

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/18/15 1:19 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I had heard that self directing drones are illegal. E.g. set a course for it to follow and it goes out and follows it and comes back (easy enough to do with GPS). This is kind of pushing the boundaries since it's not actually controlled by anyone, but might be OK.

That's not actually correct.

UAVs (drones) are required to fly within visual contact with their operator. In this case, the person with the tracking device would be considered the operator. That would rule out something like Amazon's drone delivery program, but it does not rule out automated flying, as long as the UAV remains in sight of the operator. Current systems use waypoints, etc.

The laws that are more likely to be problematic have to do with proximately to people who are not directly involved in the operation. It would be illegal at a track, for example, because other drivers (who are not involved in the flying operation) could get hit.

They can't be flown within 3 miles of an airport (which would rule out some tracks like Gainesville). It would also rule out autocross events on airport tarmac (like mine).

Additionally, an operator's license is going to be required. That will soon rule out handing the tracking device to another person.

The laws are changing really fast. It is highly likely there will be a whole new set of rules by the time these hit the market.

But, the preliminary FAA regs are less conservative than expected.

This device is positioned well to adapt to the regulations. For example, the 25 mph top speed is software controlled, so it would be easy to change when the laws are defined. Another example... the collapsing props and self-landing capability may be a safety measure that will allow flying near crowds (if the laws change).

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/18/15 11:14 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Additionally, an operator's license is going to be required. That will soon rule out handing the tracking device to another person.

Operators license is only required if used for commercial purposes. There is no licensing for personal use. But as you noted, the rules are changing daily.

I've started building and flying these in the past few months, Im all for less rules but understand the need for some. Way too many people jumping in the deep end without learning to control the craft. The higher end ones with GPS are fairly self sufficient which lulls people into a false sense of security but any operator should know how to manually control the craft in the event of GPS failure, and its not as easy as it seems. I spent a month just flying "out and backs" with a cheap $20 toy drone before I ever let one of the real ones loose.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/19/15 6:12 a.m.

My friend showed this to me some time ago. He could only imagine how cool it would be to take to Tail of the Dragon.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/19/15 7:30 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
SVreX wrote: Additionally, an operator's license is going to be required. That will soon rule out handing the tracking device to another person.
Operators license is only required if used for commercial purposes. There is no licensing for personal use. But as you noted, the rules are changing daily.

Yes, I understand the current rules.

I didn't say they are required, I said they are going to be. I'm saying that the changing rules are likely to limit the ease of usability.

"Commercial purposes" includes taking pictures you intend to sell, according to the FAA.

I agree with your idea that operators should know how to fly manually, but this one doesn't appear to have that capability.

I think the rules will change in a positive way for this device. The automated nature of it will also enable programming which will prevent it from being used in some of the ways the FAA doesn't want them used.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/19/15 8:57 a.m.

When you're not the one with the drone, they're about the most annoying thing in the world.

July 4th I took the kids to see some fireworks, and the drone nerds got in the middle of that, shooting footage that will probably be viewed 10 times on YouTube.

Went to check out a local waterfall, and the drone geeks were there too, buzzing the front of it.

Get. Off. My. Lawn.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/15 9:12 a.m.

Pretty cool tracking ability.

I wonder if the collapsible blades help Lily survive contact with trees, buildings and people?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/19/15 6:07 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Any advice on a cheap starter drone?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
7/19/15 6:49 p.m.

I would love to have one of these at an autocross, but they are not allowed at scca events

http://www.solomatters.com/dont_drone_me_bro_scca_ruling_on_unmanned_aircraft_at_events

Will
Will SuperDork
7/19/15 6:51 p.m.

I'm pretty sure SCCA specifically prohibits drones over autocross courses.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/20/15 5:59 a.m.

I have two friends with drones, thought about borrowing for rallycross & autocross, but alas it was not to be.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/20/15 6:57 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: In reply to JThw8: Any advice on a cheap starter drone?

DJI Phantom.

I've got a first gen- it's outdated. If you can find a used one cheap it would make a great trainer, but sellers usually sell them for the same price as the 2nd gen.

My son has a 2nd gen- state of the art. Good entry pricing. Excellent Suport

The 3rd gen has a built in camera, eliminating the need for a Go-Pro. Native system, well integrated.

Filming (especially with a gimble) is generally a 2 person job, unless you are flying pre-programmed waypoints, which is pretty easy with the 2nd or 3rd gen available phone app

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/20/15 7:33 a.m.

What is the cost of the Lily going to be?

On SCCA, they can ban competitors from having drones, but what's to stop Joe T public from standing outside the venue and sending one across the course? Sounds like a fun new sport actually drone bombing autocross

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/20/15 10:22 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
neon4891 wrote: In reply to JThw8: Any advice on a cheap starter drone?
DJI Phantom. I've got a first gen- it's outdated. If you can find a used one cheap it would make a great trainer, but sellers usually sell them for the same price as the 2nd gen. My son has a 2nd gen- state of the art. Good entry pricing. Excellent Suport The 3rd gen has a built in camera, eliminating the need for a Go-Pro. Native system, well integrated. Filming (especially with a gimble) is generally a 2 person job, unless you are flying pre-programmed waypoints, which is pretty easy with the 2nd or 3rd gen available phone app

Before any of that I'd get a Hubsan X4, yes its a toy, but its cheap comparatively and learning to fly a drone takes practice. You will crash. Crashing a $500-$1000 used DJI sucks a lot more than crashing a $40 Hubsan.

After that it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to get into FPV racing? Just hover and take photos and video? The DJI is a great platform for the latter, it has GPS capabilities so it can take some programming to help you hover and not crash as well as return to home functionality.

If you want to go buzz the yard and have a lot of fun then get into the 250 series FPV drones, the cheap ones on ebay from china are fine, find one with the emax motors, they are decent enough. You can get a kit with everything but the radio right around $100, they are fairly easy to build and if you build it then you'll know better how to fix it when you wreck it (when, not if)

I have the Hubsan I learned on and a 250 class I built and next I'll be building an 8 rotor using DJI's electronics.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/20/15 11:50 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: What is the cost of the Lily going to be?

Pre-sale is currently $699. Until mid August.

Regular price will be $999.

Product will not be shipped until March 2016.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
Iq9XPwPG10vWc8NwNOtgbyCUZZwdPoFEc7td5MmlbM2KkkIXDwqaAuD8vl8OHkjr